Zarontin?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My neurologists wants me to start this new med zarontin. Has anyone had any experience with this med? If you have did you have any side effects? If so, what were they? Did it work well? With what type of seizures did you use it? Did you combine it with any other meds? If so, what were they?

My wife was supposed to take it when she was young. She was a bit of a rebel back then though and I'm sure didn't take the pills regularly like she was supposed too. She complained about the side effects of every med back then and so refused to to take them. I didn't know her at the time she was supposed to be taking zarontin, so I don't recall any details of her experience with it.

You can use the search function (see top right of page) to find previous discussions of zarontin.

Thanks. Yeah I complain about side effects to my mom a lot. I am on lamictal xr right now and I always am able to come up with some excuse of why I don't want to take anything else, but of all the ones that the doctors have suggested this seems to be like the least bad of them.

hated it

I took zarontin when I was a kid with absence seizures.
I took it with phenobarbitol. I think it made my seizures worse cuz I was as high as a kite.

I'll chime in on this one. Although I didn't take it my self, my daughter did and I just observed the side effects. It was an absolutely horrible couple of months when she was on it (about a year and a half ago). She was either extremely nauseated and gagging or throwing up every single day on it. She tried zarontin twice due to the persuasion of the neurologist and both times ending up with this side effect.

My son has used both Ethymal and Zarontin (both ethosuximide) in two different med combo's (Ethymal together with valporate/Depakote and clobazam and Zarontin together with topiramnate/Topamax and clobazam.) He seemed to see 'things' we didn't see (hallucinations.) He was very doozy with blurred eyes and a vague smile like he was stoned all day long.

Last edited:
My son has used both Ethymal and Zarontin (both ethosuximide) in two different med combo's (Ethymal together with valporate/Depakote and clobazam and Zarontin together with topiramnate/Topamax and clobazam.) He seemed to see 'things' we didn't see (hallucinations.) He was very doozy with blurred eyes and a vague smile like he was stoned all day long.
Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom