Anyone have or had other health issues caused by seizure meds?

What is the most amount of seizures you've had in one day?

• 1-2

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • 2-4

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 4-6

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 6-8+

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

my Tinnitus has gotten to the point i cant hear out of my left ear,

So far so good, I have pain in my gums/teeth even though i floss every day and do all i can to take care of them. I am now taking Kepprea XR at night only as i have increased my lamectal up to 125 mgs 2Xs a day. I have outward rage attacks that really embarrass me. I thought that would go away with leaving Keppra behind.

So far so good, I have pain in my gums/teeth even though i floss every day and do all i can to take care of them. I am now taking Kepprea XR at night only as i have increased my lamectal up to 125 mgs 2Xs a day. I have outward rage attacks that really embarrass me. I thought that would go away with leaving Keppra behind.

I have receding gum lines that the dentist said was probably brought on my one of the meds that I'm on. I think it was Lamictal but I'm not 100% sure that's what it was.

I had to get fillings in my teeth where they meet with my gums to make the pain go away.

Epilim weight gain and curly hair

I had weight gain due to some of the medicines that I was on, don't remember which meds caused it because I've been on several different ones through the years.

I also have curly hair too, never knew that a med could cause that. My hair was always bone strait. About 6 years ago it started to get curly. Now the back is really curly. The sides and some of the front are somewhat curly and there's one spot clear in the front that is still strait.

Holy cow, guys, that's like me! I've been noticing the same. I thought it was just due to the abnormal electrical currents coming out of my head through my hair LOL (just kidding). I was beginning to wonder if the meds might be causing the curly hair but didn't think this could be possible. And exact same curly pattern as you, valeriedl, right down to a spot in the front that is still straight lol.

Last edited:
Holy cow, guys, that's like me! I've been noticing the same. I thought it was just due to the abnormal electrical currents coming out of my head through my hair LOL (just kidding). I was beginning to wonder if the meds might be causing the curly hair but didn't think this could be possible. And exact same curly pattern as you, valeriedl, right down to a spot in the front that is still straight lol.
I have straight hair and while on epilim I had perm type thing happening which was really annoying because old ladies would call them cute curls. I got a lot of beauty sleep in those days too all drug induced.

If you want to impress old ladies in your 20's take epilim.

Last edited:
Topamax is giving me electolyte imbalances, primarily low potassium but imbalances in other areas, which cause severe episodes of diarrhea, dehydration (which causes high fevers), worse electroyte imbalances, status myoclonic seizures, tingling and numbness, depression, hair loss, lots of fun things. Every morning I see visual trails, like I'm on acid (this one is at least interesting). Ive also now lost 13 pounds in three months, but not complaining hugely though people have asked me if I'm ill. On Tegretol for 30 years and actually never noticed any side effects (other than it stopped working). Saying 'bye bye' to Topamax :)

Thanks. I vary with energy and electrolytes up/down. But right now I feel ok. I also have been on strong antidepressants for 25 years. It is a chronic condition and debilitating. all these meds give me high blood pressure and so i have meds for that too. Any one have anything like this?

My blood pressure's through the roof- the last few times I've had paramedics called to me they've tried multiple machines coz they thought they must have been broken :S

I don't know if that's an AED side effect but I've just got the 'normal' batch of those- insomnia, anxiety, kepprage, depression, low libido, tinnitus, vertigo rarely.

I also fluctuate from over weight to under weight- makes it a PITA buying jeans lol

Actually Janus my blood pressure is the lowest it has ever been in my life! I think it's part of hypokalemia though. It used to always be high when i was on Tegretol, now it can be as low as 100/60, which for me is low. Slim, are you taking B6? I'm on Keppra since about 2, maybe 3 months ago and just started taking it since I was getting really down and it has seemed to really help with the moods. Guessing you've already tried it but thought I would mention if not

I've had to be hospitalized due to my meds not being at right levels and other side effects that I do not want to mention.

Thanks lindsayschu2, I spent much of last year doing month on/off 'secret trials' (administered by a friend while I shut my eyes lol) with B6 and magnesium. Not the most scientific of tests really, because my situation changed a lot over the year and I was under different amounts of stress.

I *think* it may have helped sometimes, but I'm not sure if it was anything more than a placebo effect, and it certainly didn't stop the kepprage completely.

At the end of the day though, if I started getting worse/more frequent mood problems, I'd probably start taking it again, though I've found that moving to the seaside and chilling on the beach most days has had a great effect on my moods :)

Manic depression but that could be normal.

Last edited:
Add me to the Depakote list

-Bone thinning
-Weight gain
-Liver Issues

Back
Top Bottom