Anyone have a pet that stays with you during a seizure?

Which pet do you like better?

• Cat

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Oops, as for pets who stay with me, nothing I noticed. However my dad's bipolar and psychopath killer rat terrier who tries to kill me everytime I leave and enter the house - strangly happens to follow me around during my postical state.

I have a blk lab/border collie and after my seizure he follows me around, laps with me.
Im blessed to have him in my life

What does one have to do to certify their pet as a service animal? I've seen seeing eye dogs trained to be very alert to their owners. If we would have our sensitive pets as official service dogs we could take them in the public. I know one seeing eye dog association uses labs who do not pass the rigorous tests as therapy dogs. I would imagine they can become seizure alert/seizure response dogs.

That is a good idea, alivenwell, but serious problems can arise.

For instance if you are to have a seizure, your pet is likely to respond to others defensively. If first responders see that is a threat, they will respond with lethal force in order to do what they THINK will help you.

Maybe to discuss it more, a new thread could be made.

For instance if you are to have a seizure, your pet is likely to respond to others defensively. If first responders see that is a threat, they will respond with lethal force in order to do what they THINK will help you.

If an animal is trained to be a service animal I think they are taught not to be mean (if that's how you want to describe it). I don't know if you'd be able to use your own pet as a service animal or not?

Seeing eye dogs go out into public to help the person get around. If someone came up to that person and started talking to them then the dog can not start barking and growling at them. I've talked to people with seeing eye dogs and the dog just sits there and waits until the person starts walking around again to get up.

Seizure dogs may be able to tell when you are having a seizure coming on or having one and get you to a safe place. I'm pretty sure there are seizure dogs but I don't know how they work.

Very possible, valeriedl. Its something that may go different ways. Certainly a good discussion to have.

Hi I registered my faithful dog as a service animal though she is not 'trained' to be one. She is very protective of me and a total sweetheart dog that loves everybody. I do not see her as being mean but barking loudly if she feels a threat coming to me. I have yet to have her with me during a public seizure though.

My cat usually stays with me during a seizure. I had one in the kitchen this afternoon. It was a partial. At first I didn't black out but I couldn't make sense of anything that I was doing. My cat started going crazy. I thought he wanted fed so somehow I managed to put food in his dish.

Next thing I knew I was in the living room with him sitting on my lap. My husband had come into the kitchen and saw I was having the seizure so he took me there. But the cat knew right away. I need to learn cat so I can understand him when he says "Mommy go sit down, you're having a seizure!!!"

This subject fascinates me. Do dogs actually sense seizures coming on? I have asked and was told that they really don't sense a seizure, but they know something is not right with their owner. Comments please. If I get enough feedback that this works, I would like to get a service dog, as I'm not taking medication. How does one go about it?

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. Hope everyone's pet is doing well. My cat is now 8 years old and doing good. :)

When I first started having seizures about seven years ago I didn't have any pets in my life. Since then, I have adopted two precious dogs. After about five years of good seizure control, I started having sp motor/sensory seizures that, fortunately, I can usually feel coming on so I can sit or lie down. My little dog sits on my chest and gives me an occasional little lick on the very tip of my nose to reassure me. It really does help. :)

I have a cat. A couple of months ago, I dreamed that instead of having a seizure dog, I had a seizure cat, and whenever I had a seizure, she would stop whatever she was doing and lick a Twinkie. That's about all the value she contributes beyond being petted and purring :)

The dark beagle mix is my service dog. :) I got him from the SPCA and he wasn't officially trained but he quickly picked up on my seizure activity. I average close to 30 seizures a month and rarely leave the house or our fenced in yard. He stays pretty close to me as I putter around; even into the bathroom!

When I'm home alone and have a t/c I usually come to with him sniffing and/or licking me.

We got the lil girl beagle mix about a year and a half ago. Again from the SPCA and she was in rough shape....living on the street, had just birthed a litter, skinny and hair loss :( ....She was very skittish and anxious while adjusting to her new life as a house puppy and living with another dog.

I spend a sufficient amount of time reclining, resting, napping and love that she decided that her spot is either in the nook of my knees or snuggled up in the small of my back. They both sleep with us and we even upgraded to a king bed to accommodate for them

She's a snoring puppy...very cute.

So yes, I believe they pick up on my seizure vibes and stay close to me, extra close when I'm in the midst of them.

:hugs:

my long haired chihuahua stays with me when I've had a seizure or anytime I've hurt myself. When I had a seizure in a roomhit my head on a chair busted it open he went to get my husband.

Last edited:
Mia is my cat. She is very protective over me. She always has to know where I'm at when I'm home and is usually in the same room or close by when I am. It seems like she knows when one is about to happen as that is when she gets really loud when she follows me around (usually she is silent). When I have had one she stays with me until I get up to ly down and then she lies by me. She is my baby. :)

How is everyone's pet doing? Hope their continuing to be of help.

Back
Top Bottom