• Most of the time

Votes: 50 39.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Never

Votes: 16 12.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm not sure whom your post was meant for.

I see my neuro every 2-3 months. I haveanorher MRI scheduled, 3rd in a year. My ENT says my voice changes are CNS/neurological so now we are trying to figure that out.

I very rarely have an aura, simple partial, before a complex partial seizure and if I do they are usually very short.

I have a VSN and by the time I realize I'm having an aura I've started having a complex partial seizure and it's too late to grab my magnet to use it. Someone else has to use it on me to bring be out of the seizure faster. My husband has found my magnet on the floor or I've been rubbing my hand across my chest without my magnet in it so I must have known something was coming on but just didn't catch it in time.

I have had them that are longer and I can use the magnet on myself to stop the seizure from going any further. I wish that happened more often.

I'm trying to remember if this was mentioned but are auras considered seizure activity? My neurolgist has it on my file to double my lamotrigine if there is any seizure activity/reoccurance.

I'm trying to remember if this was mentioned but are auras considered seizure activity? My neurolgist has it on my file to double my lamotrigine if there is any seizure activity/reoccurance.
Auras that don't lead to another type of seizure are PSs.

how long should I wait togo to the hospital when havin sp. it's been at least 45 minutes according tomy husbab. it isn't waves. it's constant. started right after i took 2 mg klonipin so i can't take any rescue med

how long should I wait togo to the hospital when havin sp. it's been at least 45 minutes according tomy husbab. it isn't waves. it's constant. started right after i took 2 mg klonipin so i can't take any rescue med

My neuro told me that if I don't start coming out of it within 15 min or if it starts to get worse before then I should call 911 or go to the ER.

I'm usually out of it or starting to come out of it by then. I don't think my family, because they are the ones seeing me have the seizure, would wait 45 min. I'd double check with your neuro just to be sure about the time.

Mine are just simple partials. Most of the time he would not know unless I told him. I talk to my husband the entire time and document them at the same time. I am totally aware of everything going on. I talked with the doctor's office yesterday and there advise was to go wherever I felt it was necessary. They were not much help. I am going to get my lamictial level tested today.

Thank God for Auras!!

Without an Aura, I wouldn't have time to get to my emergency pill, Ativan. And with an Aura, i can find a safe place to be while it happens.

My auras start out with pins and needle feelings in my finger tips as well as loss of feeling in them. That lasts for like 30-60secs, so i have to be quick to get my emergency pills out. Then the jerking motions begin, first in the fingers then hand and eventually the whole arm. By the time it gets to my shoulders normally it starts to stop.

So hell ya, Auras are great, if you have them!!

Zolt

:piano: :pop:

Thank God for Auras!!

Without an Aura, I wouldn't have time to get to my emergency pill, Ativan. And with an Aura, i can find a safe place to be while it happens.

My auras start out with pins and needle feelings in my finger tips as well as loss of feeling in them. That lasts for like 30-60secs, so i have to be quick to get my emergency pills out. Then the jerking motions begin, first in the fingers then hand and eventually the whole arm. By the time it gets to my shoulders normally it starts to stop.

So hell ya, Auras are great, if you have them!!

Zolt

:piano: :pop:

Hooray for auras. One of the first strategies I learned to stop my seizures without drugs was a breathing exercise. This can slow the respiration rate, relax blood vessels in the brain and serve to abort a seizure. Have you ever looked into this option?:pop:

Last edited:
My seizures start by feeling a little bit off, then a quick glimpse of Deja vu. Then I obviously panic, however the first time I had one I didn't know WTF was going on so I was chilled. I then get the most AWFUL taste/smell. It's like glue, or when you lick an envelope but times a million. It makes me physically sick, and I spit and wretch to try and get rid of it. The aura for me lasts like 45 minutes. Last time I managed to get from a dog show, walk 10 minutes to the car, get driven home, put myself to bed and just wait. I've only had 4 TCs in the 10 years I've had seizures, but each one has gone like this. I only remember the Deja Vu from two of them though, the first I thought I saw Kathy Burke ala Gimme Gimme Gimme on a lamp post. The last, a black pug ran up to me and I thought I'd seen it before. Strange how the mind works. I consider myself extremely lucky for having the auras that I do though, so far I've always managed to get myself to a safe place. One of the times I managed to pull the mattress and duvet off my bed, down the stairs and onto the floor of the living room just so I was safe!

I don't always recognize when I'm having one. As big and horrible as they can be, I trained myself for years to ignore them, before there was an explanation for them. When it gets to the point where I can't ignore it any more, I know not to make decisions, have important conversations, write any emails, etc. until it goes away. If I do I usually end up make something really bad happen.
I only have partial seizures and sometimes I'm not sure if it's really a SP when it only lasts a few seconds or just a weird feeling that everyone gets from time to time. I'm sure it is a seizure/s when it goes on for 30-45 minutes.

I do document them while they are occuring if I have my laptop, otherwise I write out the details. Of course the next day there are so many spelling errors I have trouble trying to figure out what I meant.

My neuro told me that if I don't start coming out of it within 15 min or if it starts to get worse before then I should call 911 or go to the ER.

I'm usually out of it or starting to come out of it by then. I don't think my family, because they are the ones seeing me have the seizure, would wait 45 min. I'd double check with your neuro just to be sure about the time.

I did talk with my neuro after the last 45 minute seizure and asked if or when I should go to the hospital. The only answer I got was "when you feel like it is necessary". Not real helpful. I don't even think the emergency room personnel would believe me.

I think petit mal seizures are now called absent seizures. Partial seizures are completely different.

I think you're right about the petit mal. Growing up I always thought petit mal just referred to any non-convulsive seizures.

I will only go to the hospital if I've gone into status or If I've hurt myself
and I'm bleeding profusely. I have a lot of health problems that could also come on after my seizure also.

I never have auras before my Complex Partial seizures. Unless someone witnesses them, or I do something to myself or myself or my surroundings during the seizure, I don't even know that one occurred.

Back
Top Bottom