Cleaning

What types of house cleaners do you use?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alivenwell

Veteran
Reaction score
How do you manage to keep yourself or your home clean? I am really curious if some chemicals are not good for people with epilepsy. I frequently use vinegar as a glass cleaner and it works really well. I know people use baking soda for odor removal (not the kind that has scent in it for carpet cleaning) in a refrigerator or brushing teeth. I know enzymes can be poured down a sink (basement, kitchen....) and they remove odors and keep gunk out of there.

Purely out of curiosity. I am looking more at eco-friendly and epilepsy-friendly products.

Last edited:
I am working on going more green with my cleaners. It is just habit that I reach for the Tilex which is so strong. I grew up using Shaklee products and I think I want to move back in that direction. I think laziness has made me pick up the quick cleaners.

Yeah...I really try to reach for eco-friendly stuff.

When we had lizards as pets we had to clean their glass tank with vinegar (wearing rubber gloves) with a well ventilated room (or outdoors). At that point, I figured it was a fairly safe cleanser if I didn't get it in my eyes if it was something that we could add to food. Female lizards would lay eggs that could have caused salmonella. We had to keep it really clean.

Our fish frequently released ammonia, so we had to take tap water and let it set in a clean bucket for a week until the chlorine evaporated in it before using it to change 1/3 of the tank's water. Our water company added the chlorine. We sterilized the fish tank by setting it outdoors and briefly rinsing it with hot water. The sunlight also killed a lot of the bacteria in it. They're potentially adding ammonia to our water supply, so we'll have to add chemicals to remove the ammonia (it doesn't evaporate). We also added bottom feeder fish (like a loach, catfish...) to keep the bottom of the tank clean.

I invested in a dishwasher a few years ago and rarely get sick now.

I am especially sensitive to scented soaps. I buy unscented detergent and hand soap now.

I'm concerned about our environment. If normal people are getting ill, people with epilepsy may be even more sensitive to environmental changes.

Last edited:
This is so true.
I have koi in a pond out back, and I have to use something to remove the chemicals from the hose water, or else the fish will die. So this same water comes into my kitchen.
One of those chemicals is clorine. I know there are children that are very sensitive to this chemical, and have to take precautions when they go swimming.

I too am looking at my personal products for additives. Yet some I am just not knowledgeable about... such as floride. I read that it is harmful and yet it continues to be put in our water. It is so hard to know what to believe. Most of us just do not have the time it takes to thoroughly research and understand what is harmful in our environment. We take for granted that our officials will work in our best interest and health.

I remember reading Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, when I was a teen, and so much of what she wrote about then is in the news today. She was considered a lunatic at the time. People can make a difference. SF Bay use to be very toxic and unhealthy, and today they have cleaned it all up. One of the rivers in NY was also very bad, and it is now much better.

I am going to be much better about what I use in and around me.

I have such sensitive alergies!!

All my life I've had very sensitive allergies which causes me to becareful what I use for cleaning! I can't use pine Sol or Ammonia and strong harsh smelling odorous chemicals either!
David

Others...

Ok....I have 2 teens and a 7 year old that pretty much clean the majority of the house....at least the public areas. :) They all have allergies, so the house gets cleaned once a week, no matter what. Tried Melaluca once....good stuff but pricey.

Hey everyone,

I started "going green" with cleaning awhile back. Mainly out of necessity. My baby (now 2) is a wonder child at getting into things. He literally would de-babyproof my home as soon as I would bring in a new child lock. He could open bathroom doors when he was a one year old...even though I had the "childproof" knobs! Obviously, we started locking all door in our home. He nearly got into things several times, and I have made my fair share of calls to poison-control because he managed to get into something despite my best efforts.

Anyway, I clean with vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and simple dish soap as much as I can. Vinegar is a disinfectant; I use it on my countertops, on my windows/mirrors, in my toilet, in the dishwasher (as a rinsing agent/spot-remover), on my laundry...basically all over the house. I dust with lemon juice and olive oil.
The list goes on.

I do have chemicals that I keep in the house, but I have reduced those to one high shelf in the kitchen over the sink that my son couldn't possibly reach.

Just my :twocents: -Julie

I have to go easy on the harsh chemicals and
all windows and fans running; and I cannot be
home alone either when I use them. They can
be a problematic issue for me.

However - I have a Steamer that I use that's very
handy, but since I reside in the tropics; I do have
to use bleach (I live in a masonry home) and mold
and mildew is common place in these areas, but
proper usage can maintain control without "murdering
oneself" (a figure of speech here). Ammonia actually
can stretch Windex - hence why I have two bottles
and I use water. But whatever you do, never mix
Ammonia and Bleach!

I own a Vacuum & Steam Cleaner - because both my
son and I are allergic to dust, we have to keep the
furniture, a/c filter, carpet, fans, etc - free of dust,
lint, etc. The Steamer (above paragraph) I use to
clean windows too as well as blinds, and other things,
it's so handy - in fact, I use it to steam after washing
certain dry clean items. I bought my sister and my
mom both their own, and my sister uses it far more
than both of us, and mostly she uses it on her clothes
because it saves a heck a lot off her back of ironing
everything!

:)

One thing about the hand-held Steamer is - they also
Sanitize and removes GREASE without the harsh chemicals!
It's so handy! If you ever opt to buy one, get one that has
an auto shut off in the event if it tips over or drops. The one
I own is a mini-Steamer, so it's a small one, instead of a big
one, while I do have to fill it up more frequently, it's safer
for people with Epilepsy, and it can fit better into those harder
to reach areas than a bigger unit can. But there are folks out
there than have BOTH - the mini and regular size. It pays
for itself!

My border line asthma does make me sensitive to any enclosed areas and strong fumes, however I do not remember having any issues with me E.

When I was an EMT, we used Simple Green for most of our cleaning. It was very effective and I believe it is supposed to be eco-friendly as well.

I also use Murphy's Oil Soap on many things (not just wood). It always works well for me without any irritation.

Hmm. My doctor doesn't tell me to avoid any chemical during the time i seizure often.

Borax?

I just saw a tv show called 'how clean is your house'. For people who are sensitive to chemicals, they recommend Borax. Does anybody know if it's better than baking soda?
I use baking soda and vinegar for drains. Then separately for everything else.

I just saw a tv show called 'how clean is your house'. For people who are sensitive to chemicals, they recommend Borax. Does anybody know if it's better than baking soda?
I use baking soda and vinegar for drains. Then separately for everything else.

Hi Shelley,

I watch that show several times a week! (If my house is a bit untidy, it always makes me feel better to see those homes that are far dirtier than mine) :paperbag::roflmao:

Did you read my post above in this thread? I have been using "greener" products for about a year. Borax is a relatively safe cleaner. From everything I can read on the internet and in books I've purchased, the main thing is not to ingest it. I have a box right now. Let me say this though, I haven't found anything significant in my searches that borax can do which other "green" cleaners cannot. In other words, unless I learn something new, I won't be buying another box. Also, Arm and Hammer original detergent is a safe and mild detergent for the chemical sensitive person. (It's what I've always used because of my dermatitis. It was recommended by my doctor).

Vinigar, lemon juice, olive oil (or similar), salt, baking soda, and soap are the main cleaners that I use. If you do a google search, you should find many answers to your question.

Hope this helps. -Julie :)

Last edited:
this stuff?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_cleaning
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8088/clngrn.html
How do you dust mop? I can't do feathers, but found lambs wool on a stick.
How often do you vacuum?

I use a swiffer to dust mop if I'm in a hurry. I also use a dust/static grabber on a stick that I found at Family Dollar. It is good for grabbing behind/under objects (like the fridge, stove, etc.)...and obviously, it's reusable. If I am "dry dusting" my kitchen floor and have time, I sometimes lightly mist the bottom of my broom with water...it collects the dust as I sweep in small areas instead of making it fly everywhere. (but I obviously have to remist my broom frequently).

How often do I vacuum? Tricky question. Less in some places, more in others. ;) Because I have a toddler, some rooms (like the living room) get vacuumed very often (sometimes daily). Other rooms, like our home office, get vacuumed once a week on the weekend, or "as needed" (meaning if no one entered the guest room that week...I'm not vacuuming it). :agree:

Glad you attached those links to your last post :)
-Julie

Last edited:
Baking Soda works really good to clean the bathroom having 4 boys it can get yucky! I clean our bath every day Baking Soda works best with a little lemon

I clean the house everyday dust, kitchen,floors bath,rooms.... I dont think anyone but myself picks up anything i need to start cracking the whip huh?

Last edited:
one wants on the pc right now i shar the computer with them also hehe they are a handfull but you gotta love em :)
ttyl
hugs
lorrie

I love having only one computer...it makes it alot easier to get the teens to do stuff...right now, they have to read for a minimum of half on hour a night, as well as help clean house. No reading, no computer.... :)

Skillefer,

how many children do you have & you cant count your students!!! lol for the most part my kids listen its the older 18 year old im having trouble with... he and my husband arnt getting along its the step dad & child thing... blah I love them both hey if i could make steven my 18 year old and his dad sit down shut up & stop arguing and read a book it would be awesome.... haha

With COPD, E, Allergies, and you name it - strong chemical fumes make me gasp for air. My skin is also VERY sensitive (just like me :bigsmile:) and I cannot use all soaps on my body or shampoos on my hair - itching profusely.

One of my aura symptoms is itching that starts on one spot until I am clawing my skin all over and then - boink - seize - CP.

One seizure a VERY alert and aware EMT noticed hives come up just for a second in a line across both front mid calf areas - then gone!! Weird.

No, I beg ya pardon, I'm just uniquely "ME"!! :rock:

Carey waters down all cleaning agents.

(What can get the smell of male cat spray out of fabric?? I have to keep my big motorized scooter chair outside and now we keep it covered in plastic all over. However, it is that "SEASON" and it gets "SPRAYED" frequently by male cats who mark their territory. A nice smelling fabric refresher makes it worse; a nice smelling cleaner makes it worse. The only thing that helps at all is bleach water!! Then, I put a beach towel over the back and seat before I get in it. :soap: @@@:soap:mad:($&(#%&#%(&#$:soap: I LOVE cats and have a spayed female that is not allowed outside and we scoop the poop the moment she does anything and take it outside to the outside disposal area in a bag. I even Love male cats (so does Popsie if I have petted one) - but not THAT asspect of them!! ooops, I'm a bad speller.....:roflmao: Ummmm, sorry!!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom