Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I haven't been able to drive for 7 years now, that's when I was first diagnosed with E. Here in PA I believe it is 6 months sez free before you can drive.

I don't think I would feel comfortable driving. I don't know when I have a sez. It's when I come out of it that someone told me that I had one. I can be out for a few minutes not knowing whats going on at all. If I did that when I was driving I could end up wrecking the car and killing myself or someone else.

It's hard to get around where I live. Like someone else said I have no public transportation, and to get a taxi is so expensive. Luckily I have friends and family that live close by that will take me places that I need to go. I know they don't mind, but I just hate asking them. But I would rather do this than to end up with someone dead.

Yes

Hello
Yes .
I understand the importance.
But I also understand the seriousness of the restrictions.
I am a little blind when it comes to some of the issues because I have only had hardcore gmals and I have a lot of them.
Thank goodness for all the information I have read over the past few years on the web because I now know lots of people only have a few szs or take meds that control them and can drive.
The trick is if the code is not fair and you are not having seizures
Prove it, get the paper work ,witnesses ,whatever the papers say just prove it.
I also know this! if you are faking it and you go blind behind the wheel :ponder:
well we all know the results!
I have also come to understand the serious side effects of A.E.D,S
Every med I have taken over the last 3 years in the quantity that I have been prescribed is enough to legally (under s.s.a.rules) qualify a person from working.
So if a person is taking lg. amounts of meds and still driving and working I wonder if they are in danger of wrecking a car or operating machinery of any kind?:ponder:
Before I was ever officially diagnosed I woke up in a ditch on a county road and although I wasnot hurt or wrecked the car THAT SCARED ME!
I have a D.U.I. and that did not stop my drinking .
I have yrs. of bad behavior that never slowed me down BUT I have never forgot that time when I woke up in that ditch..WOW. :e:
Well there is my side of the story.
May I please get a ride to the grocery store? I will invite you to dinner!
:e:Rick

My oulook on driving is this ' I'd rather walk around with a loaded shotgun that has a dickie trigger than drive a car because a shotgun blast may catch 2-3 people a car sliding sideways because I've had a seizure whilst behind the wheel could kill anything up to and over a dozen"

I have a new perspective on this, I think...

While I am mad as all hell at the loss of autonomy (I'm just having one of those pissed at the world days, I'll get over it), in the county just north of here, where my brother lives, they have a 99.9% conviction rate for DUI. And in Williamson County, DUI includes anything at all that *might* impair your ability (Williamson County actually successfully prosecuted a DUI for someone driving under the influence of over-the-counter Benadryl at the recommended dosage. No joke.)

So, because Topamax has a warning label that says it may make you drowsy (and it does make me a bit drowsy, for which I compensate by taking a brief nap most days), I'd just as soon not be behind the wheel in Williamson County - ever - while taking the stuff. And since Travis County (where I live) isn't especially known for their generosity when they pull you over (even though I have never been pulled over since I've lived here), I'd just as soon not find out how eager either county is to keep that high conviction rate, regardless of the reason for the traffic stop.

On Friday it will mean I've been seizure-free for 6 months and can legally drive again. Knock wood!!

With that said, I've been driving this whole time anyways. Like someone mentioned earlier, I don't drive on days when I am really feeling "off". And usually only drive short distances.

I would love to drive but I won't and because of my history my Dr.s would never give me the permission. Thank the Lord. Just because I want to drive doesn't mean I should drive.I have been siezure free for over 9 months now. But I get tired. It just would not be safe.

i do appologise if i gave the wrong outlook on what i said what i meant was that was how i felt about ME , i realise each of us is very different and im not trying to inhibit anyone else so once again im sorry if i offended anyone with what i said

I think that it is perfectly safe for me to drive, because I only have had seizures when I have been asleep. I don't sleep when I am driving. But, with the way this whole epilepsy thing works, you never know when you might have a seizure. Sure, mine have only been when I am asleep, but it is very possible that maybe I will have one while I am awake. Until then, I will NOT DRIVE. If I do, it puts me in danger, but more so, it puts everyone who doesn't know about my E in a lot more danger than I am in....If I were to black out while driving.... I don't want to think about that.

Both my daughter and I have seizures. Like you, her seizures are sleep related and not grand mal seizures. She has had 2 during the day hours, but one of the 2 was because she was asleep from a car ride. The other was random, during the day, in class. Since she'd never had anything like that, she sensed it coming on, paniked and ran out the door. Teacher was aware of her "condition" so they caught up with her and got her to office were she fell asleep. That was over 2 yrs ago and she has not had a seizure since. To this day, I don't know if she'd fallen asleep in class or there was a change in her seizures.

can i be daft and sensible at the same time
, theres too many cars on the planet or so the boffins keep telling us, my wife drives , i cant afford to run two cars despite the fact that running an animal ambulance means it runs tax free hahaha and around town i prefer to walk it keeps me fit (no jokes lol we all same ere)

I am currently (as in, right now, on the phone) trying to get my license back from the DVLA. If they ever PICK UP that is ¬.¬

/frustrated rant

They will be on a tea break you know the one that is 9am till 11.55 then dinner then afternoon tea from 1.05pm till 5.25pm so u may get an answer just before they all clear off home lol

They will be on a tea break you know the one that is 9am till 11.55 then dinner then afternoon tea from 1.05pm till 5.25pm so u may get an answer just before they all clear off home lol

What are they...hobbits?

I went to renew my dirvers licence and plate sticker. I listed myself as under suspension. The girl behind the counter said, "You haven't been suspended since 2008" She changed the note, I am allowed to drive. I spoke to my neurologist, my most recent seizure was Nov 14, 2009. I thought I was suspended til May. He checked. He hadn't submitted the paperwork!! I promised him that I wouldn't drive til I reach 6 months, I guess he could get into a lot of trouble for not having report it. I've kind of gotten used to not driving. I walk a lot and take public transit. We are moving to a smaller city and I'm not sure how easy it will be to get around. I think I will still only use my car occasionally. I don't want to kill myself or anyone else. It's better for me (exercise) and it doesn't pollute! Driving is a privilege. We should all remember that and not break the rules or laws for convenience sake.

Lol - so true! I was ready for throwing the phone out the window :mrt: I didn't manage to get through. Hopefully i can get license back, although i think it's pretty unlikely. If not, i'll need it in writing so that i can get my buspass renewed. Gah.

I Texas, they require it in writing, which I have...but from the wrong KIND of doctor. Texas wants it from a neurologist of psychiatrist for seizures and I have it in writing from a neuropsychologist. *sigh* My neurologist couldn't be bothered to give me a signature for the paperwork, so next time I see the shrink, I'll have to ask him - then maybe I can get a bus pass.

Anyone know why they care what kind of doctor puts it in writing? Gah!

I had to surrender my license last year, and all i had to do was take the letter from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) and hand it over the local council people, and hey presto - free bus pass a couple of days later!

I'd much rather have me license back though. I'm not even sure what the rules are here regarding seizures. Don't know how long i'm supposed to have gone without them, or whether night ones/ partials/absences count at all.

Hey loopy here's a good idea that covers u alround :- get ur buspass then get a bus down to the DVLA then bang on the front door and demand ur liscence back if u get it then ur covered incase ur car breaks down an if not then resort back to busses or shanks pony

Hey loopy here's a good idea that covers u alround :- get ur buspass then get a bus down to the DVLA then bang on the front door and demand ur liscence back if u get it then ur covered incase ur car breaks down an if not then resort back to busses or shanks pony

Ah Shank's pony - my old friend :D I need a letter from the dvla to get my bus pass though.

Oh wait... i already have one, it just needs renewed by 14th april *slaps forehead*

Bus trip to Swansea methinks! Where is that anyway? Is it really far away from Blackpool?

Good. Job u don't need a train pass loopy as it looks like you'd wind up back on shanks pony with all these strikes. Forecast

Back
Top Bottom