Does high altitudes and/or flight effect your Epilepsy?

Does High Altitudes and/or Flights effect you or your loved one's Epilepsy?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Unknown

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
I was recently on a vacation and ever since I got off the plane to my destination, my balance, coordination and gait have been really bad, far worse than normal.
I'm wondering if the change in altitudes and air pressure has had some sort of effect on my meds or my Ep.

I checked on several other Epilepsy boards for something about this subject but to no avail.
I haven't seen my Dr. yet about this b/c it's not bad enough at this point and I don't want to go on any more meds and also b/c I'm hoping that it's only temporary and will clear up in a few days.

Has anything like this happened to you??

Randy

No friend of high places

I got really dizzy when I was a kid. I still do. I do not like going any higher than the second floor of any building, and it better not have a balcony.
My brain processes plane flights differently. It's like I'm watching a picture show out the window. A long, slow moving picture. For some reason, cars register the same way. Yet I can drive.
I don't seem to sense motion, or time the same way as everyone else.

I asked my MD about this and he told me that there's a significant difference in the air (pressure/amount?) on a plane---which is why many fall asleep on a plane. We won't even get into the quality of recycled air.

I, too, have issues after flying. My doctor is looking for research into this, but there is none that he knows of. Yet, he did suggest I take extra B before going.---LMT

When I landed home from the USA this week, I have noticed that my head keeps going fuzzy, but I can't decide if it is from tiredness or seizure related.

I'll admit

That it's been years since I've flown, but now I wonder if they've added something to the air to 'keep germs down'. I don't ever remember being that light or fuzzy headed before.

Last edited:
You might be right Shelley as I do several flights a year and this is the first time it has happened, makes you wonder????

I have

the same problem when I do fly, but it has been a while since I've flown......

I used to be married to a pilot and we made numerous airplane trips across the U.S. and several across the Atlantic. I always had trouble with balance, coordination upon landing at my destination and had to take an extra day to recover, due to the effects of barometric pressure, difference in time zones, and of course some of it was due to meds.

I used to live in the south and every time I flew home to Denver to visit, it took an extra day for me to become acclimated again to the altitude, but now that I live in the Rockies again, it doesn't bother me anymore.

Adaptation to Altitude

The body undergoes numerous changes at higher elevation in order to increase oxygen delivery to cells and improve efficiency of oxygen use. These adaptations usually begin almost immediately and continue to occur for several weeks. People vary in their ability to acclimatize. Some adjust quickly while others fail to acclimatize, even with gradual exposure over a period of weeks.

In general, the body becomes approximately 80 percent acclimatized after 10 days at altitude and approximately 95 percent acclimatized by six weeks. The respiratory rate peaks in about one week and then slowly decreases over the next few months, although it tends to remain higher than its normal rate at sea level. After 10 days, the heart rate starts to decrease.

When we descend, we begin losing our hard-won adaptations at approximately the same rate at which we gained them; 10 days after returning to sea level, we have lost 80 percent of our adaptations.

Moved the thread and added a Poll

I have moved the thread and added a poll, so you
are encouraged to vote as well as comment!

:tup:

I can only handle altitudes to a certain height / elevation
depending on my own brain's "attitude". Whether it be on
a mountain or flying on a flight; however, as I had grown
older - it has also worsen where I must be careful. Even
barometric changes (sudden) can trip it off as well.

normal people too

I just talked to a co-worker who just got back from California. He said he got dizzy, and his ears are messed up.
I think it's more than cabin pressure.

I know effects me about month ago went on 4th floor and had 4 or 5 szs while up there so i wont be flying anywhere. And i felt off for a week after that

I have a friend in WA that really wants me to come see her. I would like to but I am scared about flying, not knowing if there will be any effect. She suggested I come next year when I can have one of my friends come with me. I guess I will do that, I hate to not do something because of the unknown

Drink lots of water and get your rest.

I spend a lot of time on airplanes. I just have to be careful to drink lots of water and try to get my rest. But I don't feel any more loopy than usual. :banana:

A number of studies have shown insufficient oxygen per person on commercial flights.I believe the seizures are triggered by hypoxia. I get this all the time some thing should be done about adequate air, about half the time I fly I have fits.

typically no. but once i had a seizure pre-takeoff. and was black listed until I came back with a note from a dr saying I going fly safely.

One of my doctors said that flying on an airplane is absolutly 100% ok and no correlation to epilepsy.

I will be on a flight for 8-10 hours going to Greece. I have done this before when I was 13, 3 years before I had my first seizure.

Back
Top Bottom