"is it for epilepsy?" she whispers....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Next time go in and be super extra nice to her. Make a point to talk as long as you can to her and get her to laugh. If you can break the ice with her once you will not have to avoid her. It is kind of like having you cable box not work and calling support but being nice and understanding to them more than they can be to you. This approach really throws people off but in a good way. I did this to a Sprint person the other day and I knew 4 things about her personally and she only knew my problem but she was able to hang up the call and feel better than when she answered.

+1

people never know how to treat people who are nice to them.

I've been going to the same chemist for about 8 years so they know me & know about my epilepsy. There was only once I had 1 of the pharmacists say to me "you have epilepsy don't you?" but that was when I was enquiring about a vitamin & I wanted to make sure it was ok to take with my other meds.

The chemist I usually go to is close to where I live but not where I work (I work in the next little town to where i live). I am going to start going to another chemist which is just around the corner from my work so it will be easier to get my scripts filled on my lunch breaks. I have been to this chemist before & I hadn't had any problems with them.

Last edited:
I always ask pharmacists, nurses, and doctors how their day is going and take the time to take an interest in their day. I figure these are the people I depend on and if I care about them more maybe someday it will help me. But worst case I make them smile and everyone needs to smile.
I do the same thing.
Whenever I go to the chemist, bank or a shop I always ask the person how they are. Sometimes if I have time I might have a quick chat with them aswell.

I have been told my medication for ______ whatever is ready, but never what it is treating. However, when they go over the instructions, they might as well say what it is for.

That's funny, I remember, Iremember! Yea! Anyway, I was in the hospital for monitoring and the nurse was feeding me meds out of a plastic thingy.lol I made her tell me everything that was in there and what it was for. I would argue with that lady... she would get me back after I would have a seizure and say wake up! And be really mean,now I forgot what I was talking about so Ill go on to something else.lol

A very long time ago, after I was first diagnosed (and the names of drugs were visible on the outside of the package - I'm not sure if for privacy reasons they've stopped this now everywhere but here they are careful to cover the drug's name), I was going through the grocery line with my prescription and the check-out girl recognized that I had Dilantin and said in a very loud voice, "Oh, wow...I'm so sorry. You don't even look like you have epilepsy." To my father's chagrin, I said to her, just as loudly, "And just what the f*** is a person with epilepsy supposed to look like?" Admittedly, not one of my better moments, but some people can be so incredibly dense. And I had just been diagnosed, and was young, and was having a lot of trouble dealing with it.

I am thankful for privacy laws these days.

Well, if somebody is suppose to look like a mental doof it would be me. Just kidding. I would really like to hand people who say you don't look like you have epilepsy a picture of a bunch of people A line up. And a rubber brain.

Back
Top Bottom