• Work FULL time

Votes: 102 47.0%
  • Work PART time

Votes: 34 15.7%
  • At present off sick due to E. but aim to return to NORMAL hours

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • At present off sick due to E. but aim to return to REDUCED hours

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • In education i.e. school, college, university etc.

Votes: 42 19.4%
  • I am a full time Mother / Father / Carer

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • I am not in education nor work due to epilepsy

Votes: 27 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 8.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint:

I didn't mean to upset you.

No, a job doesn't make the person. But for ME, I NEED to interact with kids in the schools, and I have lots of fun teaching. I have a NEED to BE with people, particularly kids. But, working in WalMart, I also get to interact with the public, and have fun. That's just ME though......

Last edited:
No Meetz,

You didn't upset me. I'm just saying one can find plenty to do to stay busy without having a "job". I have to keep busy also and be with people, therefore I do some volunteer work with the local epilepsy foundation, used to do part time help with pre-schoolers, and go off and on to local community colleges to learn new things. And I've met and made friends at the local Starbucks, de-caf. And the local bookstores have plenty of activities going on to keep me busy.

I am in school, but I am doing the homebound program now for this sememster. A teacher comes out once a week and gives me my work and helps me. I am still a student of my school. I just don't go to classes and such.

Currently working 40-55 hours per week. I handle the work OK, but am mentally exhausted by the time I get home most evenings.

Deb, have faith and give yourself time to adjust. Chances are you will be able to return to the workforce. Maybe not driving a bulldozer, but you probably didn't do that before. :)

Ranman, the US is pretty similar with discrimination laws, though awfully hard to prove with something as 'invisible' as E. It is not always the seizures that interfere with work. In my case, the interference with normal thought hinders me more than my TCs which are currently under control. My brain just doesn't work as fast as it used to.

Cint, I need you to talk to my Mom. I could not get her to get out and be involved in anything for years.

BuckeyeFan wrote: “Currently working 40-55 hours per week”.
My reply: Wow BuckeyeFan that is a lot of hours. :)

Me: I am very frightened at the moment because I aim to go back to work as of next Wednesday but haven't got a clue how I am going to cope or if too much computer work / stress / exhaustion etc might bring on another Tonic-clonic seizure (don’t like :(). Haven’t had one since August, though been off work since end of June. Just scared :( even though the people I work with are ok and the work I do isn’t too bad. Any tips will be welcome. :p

Thanks so far to everyone who has answered my questionnaire / and also made comments. :woot:

:rose:

At the moment without a job, my family doesnt want to me work.
was a bike tech and asked not to work for being a risk.
was a bouncer in a night club a few months ago, and the club actually got bought out.

most of the things I am qualified to do, dont go well with the epilepsy.

I am with you Cindy. I can not work because of my epilepsy. But I love being around other people. So I involve my self in other ways. Volunteering with the Schools. The Boys and Girls clubs. PTA. Then of course my home and son. So it isn't as if we don't have a life. Teresa

I am with you Cindy. I can not work because of my epilepsy. But I love being around other people. So I involve my self in other ways. Volunteering with the Schools. The Boys and Girls clubs. PTA. Then of course my home and son. So it isn't as if we don't have a life. Teresa

I love to volunteer too! Even though I can't go to school. I volunteer at church, the food bank and at the baton rouge little theatre :)

I do volunteer work when i can. worked with food not bombs for a bit, have you ever ridden a bike with a pot of soup. It is a challenge.
and taught kids how to fix bikes. started a critical mass in birmingham, I have had a lot of free time.

this is a very informing thread.

I've had a seizure disorder since I was 11(they came with warning signs then), now that they don't really have any warning if I did get a job my employer would more then likely be scared sh*t-less if I was quite for a long time(that happens at home), they now are calling it epilepsy(since they're is no warning).

I was home schooled so my parents understood everything, when I was about 13 I wanted to start volunteer work but my sister and I started a baby-sitting team, that way if I "acted funny" my sister would know what to do, we always went together if it was 1 child or 5. Then I started wanting to look for a job at like FYE(don't really know alot of bands so that didn't work out).

Now that the baby-sitting years are over I volunteer at church as much as I can, I also help out a lot around the house to help my parents and my sister, the 3 of them have degenerative disc disease, my mom also has a seizure disorder.

hope this helped you out.
~S~

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I'm impressed. I do have to say, I have gone through different times when I had auras then didn't then did again.You are so positive. Keep it up.

I am hunting for several jobs tomorrow, and I have an interview on monday.
we will see if I can find something semi-safe.

I thought last week this would put me out of work forever! I think now that Ive finally been seizure free for 5 whole nights there is light around the corner! Ive discovered im still here after all! I can only appreciate the life I can have! thankfor for all the positive notes on E and working! How do I manage if i should have a seizure on my job? thats my biggest fear atm :p:e:

I am actually scared, i have 5 seizures in the past 2 days.
last interview I went in a post-tictal state.

Last edited:
Hey stormy! Well, my employer knows that I have epilepsy, and we have a procedure all set up for them to follow if I should have a seizure. How to handle it is dependent on the emplyer. My employer already had a guideline that stated 911 was to be called in case of seizures. My doc and I felt that was unnecessary as I am married, and my seizures never go past 4 minutes. So, he wrote a letter stating that my hubby or other emergency number is to be called first. Then 911..but only if my seizure goes past 4 minutes or if I have 2 or more back to back..that way, my hubby can refuse transport for me.

Keep your fingers crossed for me all!! I have an interview next Thursday, it's for a medical receptionist position, at least I'll be in the right place if I have a wobbler!!
Trouble is, my hand is so badly burnt, that I can't even hold a pen at the moment. I'll keep you posted!

Cheers

Lainey xx

fingers xrossed for you!

I truly thank all who are so helpful at this time...Hope your interview goes well!!!Elaina!
Thanks for that Skillelfer-..I do work as an emergency room nurse..I think its the fear of being a patient!! They know what to do there..but its more me and being embarrasssed I am certain.. Since starting dilantin and clonzapam tho Ive been seizure free..i think the last one I had was over 15 minutes requiring alot of support..I believe it was because i had not let anyone know they were nightly and just thinking pesudo fitting i had to think differently to make them go away i just was confused by the diagnosis and management plan.I also believed what i was told..and trusted their judgement after all..I work along beside them didnt I in some of these very patients..DUMB of me..I have to be aware of the turst i place in others forever i think no matter who they are and the trust u thought u had!I think my Doctor will contact my boss to help with the confidence and privacy measures I will need to make sure im both safe at work not only for my self but the patients i care for daily..and confident of the care if things should happen like this again...It is amazing just how little i knew about the different forms of epilepsy how it effects each person differently..and how disempowering it can be with out supportive measures from both doctors, nursing teams and an awarenss of how the person is after each seizure..not everyone is mentally ill after a fit..and needs time to come out of the post ictal part emotionally intact! I will also make a note in my heart, to be particularly kind and thoughtful to patients who have epilepsy of all forms and vow to advocate when their needs are not being met! I believe this is because how I was treated and managed was inapproiate at all levels! Now that I can think clearly and logically see this..finally!:banana:

They know about your epilepsy, right?I love to work , I miss it. I congratulate you.I miss the money to. lol But one time I did not tell anyone I had epilepsy thinking that my seizures were under control. But there was more stress. It was in a medical facility and I had a GTC. At least they knew what to do. That was when I was in my early 20's.Let me know how it goes ok?

Back
Top Bottom