• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I’m fascinated with the minds ability to manipulate the perception of time, or rather, it’s susceptibility to the manipulation of perceived time. I’m rapt with all auras. The disturbance they cause to our conscience flow as areas fire out of sequence. It’s a rare opportunity of incite to the mechanisms that make our brain. Sadly, this further confirms we are organic computers comprised of molecules and energy… and perhaps nothing more…

but I’m holding out, hoping there’s something coming :)

IDk about that...there is something more I think. I know it's less popular to believe that than ever but the brain seems to be just layers and layers of emergent process to me; Each more subtle than the last. sometimes it reminds me of what you see when two mirrors face each other and the resulting reflection of reflection just goes on forever. I mean I am sure it doesn't go on forever there is some limit to the resolution and the limits of our own perception play in, but then in the brain there also seems to be interplay between layers...there has to be or I would not have been able to observe it in action and I have, not through meditation or anything, just through paying attention to the quiet conversations way in the back.

Then there are the dreams I've had.
I started lucid dreaming when I was 17 by the time I was 21 I no longer had non lucid dreams and I didn't to talk about it at that age because i was worried I would get branded strange (no longer care). later I took up Zen meditation, later I found the whole OBE thing which I am pretty sure is a whole other kind of dream, then later I experienced another even weirder kind of dream past that.
As far as I can tell it goes on forever.

I am thinking there is something more but maybe we'll never be able to prove that , I am not sure it's the sort of thing you can prove. you can dismantle a car and say "it works this way for these reasons, these are the bits that do this and those are the pieces that do that other thing" but you can't capture everything the thing is capable of in all situations that way because those things take place in a universe we still do not have complete understanding of. No amount of automotive engineering knowledge will ever amount to finaly capturing the poetry and the spirit of a fine sports car performing in unusual conditions.

The Auras are the least of the things that have given me cause to wonder.

I am hopeful also :)

Last edited:
Here is my struggle with our consciousness.

I have thought similarly, that our consciousness is rooted in something greater than the physical. Something beyond our comprehension. Through most of my auras, I always maintain a sense of self, my independent thought, my ability to analyze. This is all lost when experiencing auras that effect my inner monologue, my stream of thought. I’m inundated with trivial words, all falling and shattering into other words, a process on repeat. I can’t think, I just bare witness and my memory records. Yes I acknowledge my ability to recognize this fault could allude to there being a fundamental self or psyche, but one could also argue that my ability to recognize this is contingent on my recovery. My sense of greater self only exists in an uninterrupted stream of conciseness that gives rise to my thought process. Only once it’s reestablished do I have the ability to explore the memories formed during the aura.

The next thing to consider is the idea of a lesser self. That during my inability to think I am still self aware. One could argue this as our psyche, unfailing to identify its existence as it is independent of our brain. In contrast one could also argue that this is the most simplistic core function of our brain (much like a computers bios system) and nothing greater.

There are many layers in a computer. From it as a whole, to the motherboard, hard drive and ram, down to the circuitry, down to pulses of energy relayed through a connected network. Even with these layers, a computer is still rooted in the physical world while it creates a digital world…. like our physical brain creates consciousness.

My personal experience has forced me to consider this as a real possibility. It’s a source of inner strife regarding my beliefs. In resolution I have subscribed to the belief of ‘possibility’. I accept that I won’t know and I should live an active balanced life that follows my moral beliefs.

Intuitionally this may see to contrast what I have stated above but I believe there is something beyond our understanding that is the source of life... that extra ingredient that every living thing has, that pulses through us. Is it similar in concept to how electrical energy runs a computer? That it is necessary to give rise to life, but the components within that life form dictate its capabilities and limitations. Components like our brain that give rise to consciousness and consciousness cannot exist without either. It’s all very interesting. I still I like to believe in the mystic. I’m just haunted by inalienable truths.

On a side note, lucid dreams are the best, but mine are few and far between. I just have vivid dreams which still provide entertainment. :)

I like what you have to say here but I want to bring a few points into question because they don't seem quite right to me.

For starters i do see that the computer thing is an analogy, I see that but WE made computers using our brains the causality flows forward there, reverse comparrison leaves a bit too much room for affirming the consequent for me to ever be completely comfortable with it as a long term comparison. if you wanted to compare computers to brains I wouldn't mind so much but reversing it tastes funny to me.

My view tends to be that consciousness is a bigger thing than any person is ever going to experience the full potential of. I am pretty convinced that what we get is the human flavour of consciousness (which is not to say there are others) maybe there are maybe there aren't we can't really prove anything one way or another. I would not say however that the loss of any of the common familiar faculties of awareness as we know it negate the self validity of consciousness it's self which is (prior to all arguments for or against) a potential of highly complex self organizing systems.

I say this in reassurance (and hope it's taken in that light ;) ) though we may have auras which suspend the familiar characteristics of consciousness I think there is reason for faith in the notion that our perception is too limited to reasonably justify any comprehensive grasp on the nature of consciousness, so we must admit it extends beyond what we recognize and we must admit that we don't know for how far beyond what we grasp it extends.

that's kind of beautiful really...I think it is at least. I am not trying to toss the Auras into a bag of optimism because of some childish need to self comfort either. I am no stranger to misery or suffering and i find it easy to accept these things as valid components in the human condition. I think there is a self evidently beautiful side to the auras and i think it's there external to my own decision to make emotional use of it in one way or another.

but hey...since it's there ...right? ;)

I don't think you need to be in a state of dischord with yourself over this issue though. the Fact that you can not know the extent of the nature of consciousness is all the proof you should need that it extends beyond awareness. In other words that it's not the same as awareness.

Last edited:
I agree, reverse comparrisons are hard to make but consider convergent evolution; which says there are fundamental traits so critical/benifical they have evolved independent of another. Eyes are a good example. Most species that navigate well require eyes, thus divergent species have evolved some version of an eye. This can also be seen in humanities evolution of technology. Some say we are 10-20 years away from a singularity. It's no longer an 'if' but a 'when'. With the advent of such, it could be argued that we have created life…. a new form of life and a new form of consciousness. Is it hard to surmise that to be self aware requires a specific set of base functions, much like the eye is an asset for improved navigation?(probability baring most exceptions) . If we are able to create a physci from materials from the physical world, then why would it be any different for our brain.

Regarding a greater consciousness, we now tread the murky waters of defining consciousness or collective consciousness. In truth my beliefs were/are in agreeance with yours regarding a greater depth of our 'souls' beyond what we can perceive in our current state. What has shook me to the core is the realization through certain auras my current state of consciousness is solely dependent on my brain. Previously I unknowingly assumed that my brain and my consciousness were two very separate things. That when my brain no longer functions, my consciousness continues on. Maybe it does, I just have realized that it has a great dependence on the state of my brain, much like a computer program is dependent on the function of a computer. Its not hard to entertain the notion that we are essentially computer programs rising and falling with our bodies. It's an interesting thought albeit one with a grim outcome. As you can see, when I lost my ability to think, I had to reconsidered previously accepted conclusions, some which were formed through other auras. I'm always reconsidering what I know, it's healthy. I believe you would agree. Also I take a certain satisfaction in not knowing as I'm free to believe in any possible outcome.

I don't think its wrong to toss auras into a bag of optimism. If they can be a source of incite and growth. Harness them for their worth. They can be horrible or wonderful and always leave a lasting impression. They allow us a peak behind the curtain. I have experienced amazing things that have reshaped my impressions, ideals, and values

I'm always reconsidering what I know, it's healthy. I believe you would agree.

I do agree. If one stops questioning oneself and starts thinking all others ought not question them and the already tinny glimmer of any hope one has of contributing positively to the community of human kind is GONE....just gone.

<br>

I get a completely numb face, and then the strangest feeling of not knowing myself and others. Or I'll be weirded out that my apartment is my apartment. I'll logically know, but emotionally be blown away and feel so out of place. Same feeling about myself, I just feel out of place in my own skin, and around people I know and love. It's terribly unsettling. I think that's where my fear feeling comes from.

Does anyone else experience anything similar??

Ps sorry if someone mentioned something similar already! I just noticed there's 18 pages!

Question I have had... I have aura's, it's a visual thing, seeing a person in a certain place that I can't make out. Some times it will go away, but other times it will not and that is when it can lead I guess to a tonic-clonic seizure? My question I always wondered is if you have this same feeling and it goes away, is it considered a seizure?

Question I have had... I have aura's, it's a visual thing, seeing a person in a certain place that I can't make out. Some times it will go away, but other times it will not and that is when it can lead I guess to a tonic-clonic seizure? My question I always wondered is if you have this same feeling and it goes away, is it considered a seizure?
Auras are still seizures, they are also known as simple partial seizures.
My auras were also visual, when I have an aura I will get a strange dream in my head, my head might feel a bit strange (sort of heavy) then I have the urge to go to the toilet. Usually I don't remember anything after the dream comes into my head & I go to the toilet.

Sometimes I would just have the simple partial by itself but most of the time it was followed by a complex partial (I would start doing strange things, not making sense when talking & not remember any of it).

With the strange dreams I'd get with an aura they were always the same but the only time when I remembered what the dream was about was when it came in my head during a seizure. I have had neurologists/epiologists ask me to describe the strange dream but I could never describe it, only thing I could remember was it may have had something to do with going somewhere.

Or I'll be weirded out that my apartment is my apartment. I'll logically know, but emotionally be blown away and feel so out of place.

Hey Katiered, I don't know if you're still around but I have experience the same thing. I think you described it perfectly. For me it has only happened a few times. Strangly only around my wife and dog. I know they are my life, the ones I love, but apart of me is in disbelief. I think, how is this possible??

When my seizures first started. I would have aura, lose consciousness, did not bite tongue and muscles were not sore, but I was alone when happened first few times. Finally after a day of this and sleeping had gran mal (TC) after going to bed. Bit tongue and the whole wrks. My question is… if you have partials you let them go until you have TC does it then make your seizures worse?

I don't know if this is aura or where it falls.
But I have this weird sensation that i feel like i'm floating or flying... then I forgot what the hell happened afterwards...

I'm new to this.. I was just recently diagnosed so I'm still trying to understand everything I can.

Before my seizures I get beyond terrified/scared. I'm rather risk averse and really don't have anything to compare it to, but the fear is beyond just simple scared. It's absolute helpless terror. Before my second and most recent seizures I had a single thought (as in obsessive) racing over and over in my head. Then whammo I'm gone.

My neurologist said that auras can be due to migraines also. I have experienced visual auras where I see a bunch of miniature fireworks and they follow my field of vision. I asked him about them when I went to see him after I got pregnant and he told me that pregnancy could make the migraines worse.. surely enough I started getting horrible headaches after seeing these auras.
As for before seizure I get the fight or flight response (JME and grand-mals).. I have the strongest sense to be as close to the floor in recovery position as possible.. Then comes the anxiety with it. With grand-mals I definitely sense I am going to have one (or that somethings up), but I black out before I actually put two and two together.. figures.

Deja vu and a dream like state. I could never remember exact details afterwards. After a lot of years, I started to grab a pen and paper and wrote things down while it was happening - but nothing of note in those accounts.

visual aura

I often experience what is maybe call aura: it is visual and everything around me starts to shake, especially when I am deeply concentrate on something. Does anyone experience similar thing?

I'm not sure what counts as an aura and what's just simple partial symptoms preceding generalization to tonic clonic. My seizures always begin on waking, with the sensation of constricted airways, labored breathing. Sometimes I have the sensation that I need to urinate, but can't. So there will be a brief walk to the bathroom, a few minutes of nothing until I give up & stumble back toward bed. Mentally, though there is this terrible indecisiveness, an inability to finish a thought or make a choice. My mind gets trapped in repetitive thoughts and impulses. So I might dither confusedly in the hallway for a few minutes. Then the electrical shocks start jolting across my head and chest and I get the involuntary head nods. That's generally where I demarcate the beginning of the seizure, although maybe it's the whole episode? At this point I generally have sense enough to surrender and lie down. Not always,but generally. Maybe I'll reach for a rescue med, if i think of it & can keep it together. However, by this is point, I'm often already getting a construction of my visual field--literal tunnel vision, a closing black haze at the edges of my eyesight. The shocks could then go on in an indefinite cluster or they could escalate/generalize into a tonic/clonic. But that's unambiguous.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

welcome rodrigo :)

auras are simple partials, and there are many symptoms, categorized into 4 sections: from what i've read yours sound mostly motor and psychic. the 'inability to finish a thought' is very common and a normal part of a simple partial for many of us.

Motor seizures:
These cause a change in muscle activity. For example, a person may have abnormal movements such as jerking of a finger or stiffening of part of the body. These movements may spread, either staying on one side of the body (opposite the affected area of the brain) or extending to both sides. Other examples are weakness, which can even affect speech, and coordinated actions such as laughter or hand movements. The person may or may not be aware of these movements.

Sensory seizures:
These cause changes in any one of the senses. People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness. Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space. They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.

Autonomic seizures:
These cause changes in the part of the nervous system that automatically controls bodily functions. These common seizures may include strange or unpleasant sensations in the stomach, chest, or head; changes in heart rate or breathing; flushing or sweating; or goose bumps.

Psychic seizures:
These seizures change how people think, feel, or experience things. They may have problems with memory, garbled speech, an inability to find the right word, or trouble understanding spoken or written language. They may suddenly feel emotions like fear, depression, or happiness with no outside reason. Some may feel as though they are outside their body or may have feelings of déja vu ("I've been through this before") or jamais vu ("This is new to me"— even though the setting is really familiar).

Thanks. This is very helpful. I have a lot of those psychic partial symptoms during the day, actually: memory lapses, garbled speech, the inability to find the right word. If it's an especially bad day, I'll get shocks & involuntary head nods, too. If it's in the middle of the day, though, it doesn't usually lead to a cluster or tonic clonic. It's often enough to break from what I'm doing & either put my head down or take a walk air to clear my head.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Is it possible to have all or most of the above types of auras? What does Nocturnal / Other mean?

Back
Top Bottom