• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

just wondering altered states of consciousness

anyone have psychic visions as a seizure with the dejavu- aura? thats why i went to the neuro in the first place i thought i was going crazy until he told me its epilepsy....between dreaming and being awake Im kinda conscious It is during this that I experience intense feelings of deja vu sometimes ......fear and I feel like im having premonitions of the future ..... I dont tell alot of people about it eather as most people would think thats really odd.... when we were moving i had a vision in the morning after i woke from bed i was on the computer... i was also switching from keppra to the gen tegertol..... the neuro says they are seizures .....

love, ::ponder::paperbag: yup
angel

Last edited:
Angel,
I understand this:

" Vujà Dé - The feeling you've
never been in here before!"

I use that as a sig-line on some of the forums - LOL!
I've had people PM me about it,
saying they think it's cute!

(it's a joke - really!)

:D

Last edited:
ok then i must be having Vujà Dé :roflmao: Oh well, I guess i should have posted this in the padded cell :noevil: :twocents:

I hadn't had a seizure for awhile but the ones I had recently had a definite aura...an awful feeling "impending doom" and dizziness combined with my thoughts..like...slipping and sliding out of control. and for some reason if I closed my eyes this feeling would get worse.

I also have had panic attacks and they are different...I feel like I'm short of breath and I need to get up and move around, usually go outside, but when they end, I feel better because I had an adrenaline rush. There was nothing good about the auras...I mean at least for the seizure I was unconscious...

I call them my staring seizures. I can see people, but cant hear them.. I was on medication all the time when I had my auras. I dont remember alot of my seizures, but I know there is a God...because I think I would be dead with everything that happened to me.. I was seizure free for aver 3 years, and while driving I hit a semi truck!!! the driver told the paramedics that I navigated my car across the island...It was 4 lanes, and headed right into him head on!!!! of course they thought I was drunk.... I had no aura then.. I also went out with my friends roller skating, big ball on the ceiling and of course, seizure....I felt it coming on, but didnt make it off in time.. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I dont.

I guess I have them, but I am not entirely sure what they are. But one time during a big TC I had I was in the middle of giving a concert on stage, and I walked off stage to find my mother(I have NO memory of any of this). Apparently I was talking all kinds of crazy(she thought I was having a schizophrenic breakthrough, or that I was on drugs) and then it dawned on her that I was getting ready to go into a grand mal. Which I did, moments later. The last thing I remember from that performance was my eyes darting back and forth among the audience. Odd. All of the other TC's I have just happen... no warning. So, I'm not sure what provoked me to walk off of the stage.

After having my Gamma-Knife Surgery several years ago, I no longer have to worry about the complex-partial or grand-mol seizures. Which is nice. Now ever so often I experience auras. People always ask me what one feels like when I am experiencing one, and honestly I hate telling people because I know if I do they'll think I'm nuts. But, Oh Well! Honestly when I experience an aura I hear voices speaking to me, and telling me that everything is going to be okay. I guess you could say it is somewhat of an inner voice. I don't know. But, I do know that it makes me more relaxed after the aura is finished, so maybe it's a good thing. Who knows!!

Honestly when I experience an aura I hear voices speaking to me, and telling me that everything is going to be okay. I guess you could say it is somewhat of an inner voice. I don't know. But, I do know that it makes me more relaxed after the aura is finished, so maybe it's a good thing. Who knows!!

I mentioned in an earlier post (above) that I get 'em all, but the worst aura I get is when I hear Bongo drums while my ears are ringing.
I get that instead of a full out gran-mal seizure ~ usually about a couple a year.
That is an indication to me that my anti-epileptic drugs are doing there job.

The smaller auras (for lack of a better term) I get almost daily but my seizures are under control.

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy ...

... do your daily auras interfere with your normal functioning/daily tasks/driving?

Tell me something, in the UK, an aura is classified as epilepstic activity, and called a Simple Partial Seizure, I can't have my license back until both my simple and complex partial seizures stop, I think the Keppra has sorted my Tonic Clonic problems out, are auras not deemed risky in the states?

Auras

I see an aura as what I feel immediately leading up to and following a seizure.

Before a seizure, it is as though my thought process is unable to move on, and my mind gets stuck on one train of thought and is unable to move on.

When this happens unless someone immediately notices what is going on (eg starriness and or faltering speech etc) and diverts my attention, I go into a full blown seizure and I immediately become unaware of what is happening to me until after waking up, and then I feel absolutely drained of energy as if having been struck by a bolt of lightning.

Gradually the effects wear off after a sleep or nap, however it can take some days or even weeks to get back to normal again.

Buckeyefan

My auras do not interfere with my daily life at all although the MEDs, now that's a different matter. That has caused me all kinds of problems, IE: early medical retirement, drivers licence revoked in 2004 although I had it even with my EP since 1979 and sometimes I space out ~ just stare and although I'm aware of my surroundings, I can't respond. My Neurologist calls this a "speech arrest".

Randy

Tell me something, in the UK, an aura is classified as epilepstic activity, and called a Simple Partial Seizure, I can't have my license back until both my simple and complex partial seizures stop, I think the Keppra has sorted my Tonic Clonic problems out, are auras not deemed risky in the states?

It all depends on the State's Laws (USA),
and the individual and Doctor and the
State's Dept. of Transportation Medical
Review Board.

Last edited:
Hi,
I experience auras with no seizures and with. Taking Dilantin, I no longer experience grand mals. However, with lots of headaches,twitching eyelids, tender gums, I experience auras which always bring back the ugly memory of grand mals. Taking Dilantin has changed my life. I also experience slight balance issues as I walk.

Auras-

o Auras occur in approximately 80% of temporal lobe seizures. They are a common feature of simple partial seizures and usually precede complex partial seizures of temporal lobe origin.

I read what you said Brain^^^^^^. I do have simple partial seizures and it is located in my temporal lobe. But if I do have a Aura I dont remember it by the time my seizure is over. I am being told by family and friends what I do during a seizure. I have never noticed me doing anything before. One feeling I get the most is "fear". Like something bad is going to happen.

Sometimes when I am reading all the different threads, I am tempted to foward this site to my neuro. For several years now when I report my auras to him he looks at me incredulesly as though he has never heard of such a thing and I walk out questioning my sanity. In the begining (1997) I thought I was having a heart attack my heart would just pound and it felt like the rush when you almost hit a car in front of you, over and over again-it was exhausting! Later when the blackouts started, I would get the strangest feeling in my stomach, a cross between having to 'go' and hunger. Then I feel like there is no air in the room and noise of any kind is very distressing, I feel agitated and then lights out occasionaly for as long as 15 to 20 minutes in rapid succession. Does anyone else have a similar experiance?:ponder:

Sometimes when I am reading all the different threads, I am tempted to foward this site to my neurologist. For several years now when I report my auras to him he looks at me incredulesly as though he has never heard of such a thing and I walk out questioning my sanity. In the begining (1997) I thought I was having a heart attack my heart would just pound and it felt like the rush when you almost hit a car in front of you, over and over again-it was exhausting! Later when the blackouts started, I would get the strangest feeling in my stomach, a cross between having to 'go' and hunger. Then I feel like there is no air in the room and noise of any kind is very distressing, I feel agitated and then lights out occasionaly for as long as 15 to 20 minutes in rapid succession. Does anyone else have a similar experiance?:ponder:

Sure - you can actually PRINT this
whole thing out or if you have his
email address, encourage him to
visit, it has eMedicine link in there
so he can visit there. There's other
eMed links available for other types
of Epilepsy Seizures that have
auras - but I just posted one due
to the fact it had a lot of generaliza-
tions in there.

It's difficult at times to describe
auras; and sometimes they aren't
even an aura but an actual seizure
(Simple Partial or Complex Partial)
or you're in postictal stage!

I have posted if you followed in the
beginning some of my own auras,
while true, some have been either
an aura or a seizure itself. The list
was not exhaustive. There are more
I have not listed because of them
being so isolated which I had only
experienced maybe 4-8 times in my
entire life.

It is difficult at times to describe
them at times, and sometimes it's
even hard to comprehend if it was
an aura, a Simple Partial, a Complex
Partial or some other type of
Epileptic Seizure or possibility
something else.

One thing about auras is - they are
brief - but they sure are a major
P.I.T.A.!

Thank you! Validation means a lot mostly because I came to this E party kinda late (37) and I have seen all 5 of our neuros here. Two I wouldn't take my dog to, two were very kind but big on stairstepping meds and one who has many sheepskins but lousy human relations. He is the big guy on campus if you will and has the most toys at his discretion, most of which he has used on me with plenty of results...still he finishes each visit with some comment like "the events you are descibing don't sound like what normally happens" or "you have different things going on". What the hell does that mean?But then he hands me a scipt (rx) and says take it or not your choice! That's what I like, clarity

In the begining (1997) I thought I was having a heart attack my heart would just pound and it felt like the rush when you almost hit a car in front of you, over and over again-it was exhausting!

YES! YES! This is exactly what I have been trying to describe to MY doctors! It always follows a feeling that I am in a familiar dream, but awake and aware at the same time. It is always the same dream, and I recognize it as the beginning of an aura, but I can't really remember it after the fact. Then the rush as you describe, a flushed feeling, and nausea. Usually, that's all there is. Most of the time I only have auras.

Thank God I am not alone- I love this site! It is always nice to know I am not loosing my mind, my brain is just having an alternate reality. Do you ever get the aura where you are kinda in a time warp (sorry for the Star Trek reference but it helps to describe) sort of like you are a second or two behind reality and you are trying to catch up but having trouble reacting in sinc? That is a common one for me. I also get visual auras with 'foggy' areas or color blocks. (no rose colored glasses needed)

Back
Top Bottom