• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So when people say they see flashing lights during an aura, is it just in the corners of there eyes? I sometimes see brief flashes of light in the far corners of my eyes. Doesnt always happen before something possibly seizure related, and I dont know why I havent asked about it it before. One of those really small details, use to happen if I smoked to much too.

Hi, Abynormal

So when people say they see flashing lights during an aura, is it just in the corners of there eyes? I sometimes see brief flashes of light in the far corners of my eyes. Doesnt always happen before something possibly seizure related, and I dont know why I havent asked about it it before. One of those really small details, use to happen if I smoked to much too.
I know that flashing lights; stimulation from outside sources e.g. viewing Fourth of July fireworks could trigger a seizure. I'm unfamiliar with this type peripheral vision problem you're experiencing. You might want to schedual visits with both your neurologist and eye doctor to cover all bases. I wish I had more to offer but let us know what you find. :)

Last edited:
carolineal,

The meds I am on are Epitol (tegratol) 4 200mg a day, Lamitical, 3 100mg a day lamitical 2 25 mg. a day and clonazapam(klonopin) 5 .05 a day. At first after surgery they took me off of one of the three I was on which was phenobarbitol and cut back on the other two the clonazeapm and the tegratol. It didn't take long and those two went back up and I was put on another different one the lamitical, and it has been raised twice in the last year and a half.

I can't really say for sure how long I have been having seizures because I have had several different episodes where I just didn't feel right, this really odd unusual feeling. At first when I went to a psych and told him what was happening he told me I was having panic attacks and was put on meds for those. Then about 2 years or so after that I had my first Grand Mal and still was not put on any seizure meds because just because I had one didn't mean I had E. Then within a year later had another Grand Mal and was put on Emeds and was diagnosed with epilepsy. However, for the other experiences which were getting worse and more often was still being treated for panic attacks. Then finally after about another 5 years was finally diagnosed as them being partial and complex seizures not panic attacks.

It still took about 4 more years before they had be tested for a canidate for surgery and believe this was because any tests they did (not including a VEEG which I had not had) didn't show anything.
Then after so many years with uncontrolled seizures my neuro had me put in the hospital for the VEEG and that and one test after another showed something due to it taking that many years with uncontrolled seizures the damage it had done to my brain.

auras

My auras are strange, the don't seem to fit any of the ones listed. The most common 1 or 2 a day to 200 a day are a simple touch or a feeling "someone walked on my grave". Those are more in my body not head. Then there are the ones on/in my head; a feeling of a hat that is two small, things seem to be moving; as though you were shifting your line of vision, I will have a small dot that moves through my line of sight, the most disturbing is the strangest. You have to be a Star Treck fan to understand this one. Think of Mister Spok's mind probe, now imagin you can feel him in your mind trying to "get in". All your energy must be spent to block him. It is rare for any of these to last more than a few seconds. Those of someone walking on my grave are the worst, they sometimes lead to a CP. Worst yet is they don't! Remember the Boy Who Cried Wolf? After hundreds of crys of wolf and there is none, you ignorn them. That is when you find yourself face down in the highway, try walking on water, then have to be told why you are wet from head to toe (the water was 10+ feet deep.

Kelso,
I get the same thing..........I will have a small dot that moves through my line of sight,
I've never heard anybody explain it like that before but that's one of my signs of an aura, I will get that instead of a seizure just about every day. My Neuroloist says that it is a sign that my meds are working, otherwise I would have a full blown granmal seizure.

Kelso:

I also have a very strange one, where "I" feel as
if my body is leaving me and "I" have to go and
catch it, but I am right there. It is not an "out of
body experience". Of interest, I am also awake and
alert when this happens and it is but just for a brief
moment; however it sure does leave me in a complete
daze, physically drained, and as if my entire life was
sucked out of me - plus the urgent need to sleep
imparts whereas I must head on to a snooze cruise
with a massive headache that follows after all of
this event. It does not happen very much, and when
it does - it does not matter if I am on antiepileptic
drugs or not; it happens ---> the difference here is;
if I am on antiepileptic drugs, it keeps me from heading
onwards to a major seizure(s) ~ without an anti-
epileptic drug(s), major seizure(s) will arise. Big
difference here. The sad part is ---> they (Doctors)
have not yet been able to 'capture' this on EEG.

Brain,
I usually have a mild headache after an aura that lasts all day.

It's really weird ~ you ppl (Brain and Kelso) have mentioned little points that I didn't think were significant in my original post on page one.

Randy

I don't know what mine are classified as. Mine are just a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. Closest thing it feels like is butterflies, but it's not. They usually come on out of the blue, only last a few seconds and are mild. But when I have "extreme lack of sleep" or "extreme emotions" they become more frequent, longer and more intense.

randy, there are many "blips" out here that are an aura actualy a mini seizure as there are peole out here. any thing that is recurring should be questioned. it makes me mad that so many of my auras are all there is. that may sound strange to a lot of you; but think of the boy who cried wolf. you get to where you ignor those things and wham you are hit with one that is not just teasing you and you find your self face down in the dirt.
kelso54

My auras are anxiety, which isn't on the poll. For the longest time I thought I was having panic attacks. After being diagnosed with complex partials I'm not sure anymore if I really have Panic Disorder or if those were auras. Either way, the seizures are under control now, but I still get the fear some of the time so I believe that I really do have Panic Disorder and it runs in the family. But it definitely makes for some mind twisting. All in all, Trileptal and Klonipin each work for both seizures and panic disorder so its all good.

My auras are
Taste- I Experience a metal taste (like im chewing on alluminum foil)
My heart will start racing REALLY fast.
I dont know if this is an aura, but my palms get really sweaty.
Oh and sometimes I get agitated. Like I really want to just punch someone.. (Is that an aura?)

For the longest time I just thought I was going crazy with the Auras... I didn't know what they were so I just called them "dizzy spells". I get the ones where it feels like I'm having deja vu and am in a dream or something. A lot of times I'll start getting songs in my head that were playing during other times when I had auras or seizures and sometimes ones that were playing when I was at the dentist on anesthesia.

Does anyone else have ones like that?

Well, I don't quite know how to explain it, but it's like something "clicks" in my head, I sit upright and then I get really flustered and dizzy, and start shaking - then about half an hour to an hour later I have the seizure(s)

I actually have a question related to auras and it may have been mentioned and I just missed it. But anyways I have had epilepsy since I was 18 months old, and Iam now 25. To make a long story short I had an operation removing the scar tissue back in 2001 and it was a success until 2005 when my epilepsy came back. I had another operation in february 2006 and I have been good ever since. But whats kind of odd recently is I have been getting auras. But instead of a 20 second aura and then a seizure, I have been having auras that were lasting 5 to 6 hours with no seizure. The type of auras I get I can only describe as when someone is really excited and has butterflys in their stomach. I hope I made sense here. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I think I can relate to your auras. I've had high anxiety for quite a while. To the point where it make me feel sick to my stomach, dizziness, my heart would start racing and fear that something bad will happen. After I had complex partial seizures I found out that anxiety can be an aura to them. Since I've been on anti seizure medicine I've had no seizures, but I still have the anxiety. So for me it's hard to say if they're auras or not. But I definitely know that feeling in your stomach you're talking about, I have it all the time. I also have scar tissue but I have no idea if it's related to this at all.

Last edited:
I have the scar tissue also and I am having the same auras. Had one today that left me so tired for the rest of the afternoon. The racing heart and feeling sick and panic. Feeling dizzy!

My auras must still be different than either tedwins or little Fruitcake. I dont get dizzy, feel sick, get anxious or feel exhausted. The only way I can describe the feeling I get is as if is some kind of natural high. The feeling I get is almost undescribable. It almost reminds me of when I was a young kid and I smoked weed with my friends only this high is natural. Like I said earlier, its no different than the auras I got as a kid, except that they now can last up to 5 or 6 hours. I must be an odd duck...

Auras without seizures

Hi I'm new to this so please bear with me. I had a couple of grand mal seizures 10 years ago they said it was likely stress related , my mom passed away a few months prior to my having auras, then i had the 2 seizures. I was on dilantin for 3 years and have been seizure free and med free since. I started having auras again just recently, and more frequently all of a sudden. Unless I have seizures in my sleep or the auras are a form of seizure i'm not having them yet. I orginally thought the auras were flashbacks but after reading some of the posts here i'm thinking otherwise. Just looking for feedback on them.

thanks your Forum has been helpful already

Well yeah, I definitely don't feel high when I get them. I wish I felt high when I did though. That would be a lot more fun to be able to be high without having to smoke.:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom