Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > Back Fence

View Poll Results: Has a cause been identified for your seizures? (Choose all that apply)
No. It's a big mystery. 82 35.81%
Maybe. We have some suspicions, but it's hard to know. 76 33.19%
Yes. There was an event, injury, or an illness/physical cause that caused my seizures. 57 24.89%
It's a confusing topic - I may have more than one cause, some we know, some we don't.. 31 13.54%
I don't care what the cause is, so don't ask me. 2 0.87%
I care what the cause is. I want to know. 50 21.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Joined the Party

head injuries

The first question my neurologist asked me was, "Have you ever had a head injury?" I just chuckled and said 5 or 6. That ended that....
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkhorse For This Useful Post:
Janus (11-05-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Joined the Party

Yes. Long-running underlying genetic disorder which, somehow, no one picked up on until maybe last year. (The year before? My memory is shot.)
Old 03-23-2018, 06:33 AM
Getting Comfortable

Well, I saw a neurologist in January of this year and he diagnosed me with something new ... I can't remember what tho; my memory isn't the best. I asked for a copy of his report and they'll be sending it to me.

At first, I didn't remember the head injury that I had back in January of 2016 that caused me to have seizures. Now, the neurologist has said that I have some brain abnormalities, caused by either the new thing he diagnosed me with or by the genetic disorder (a rare primary immunodeficiency) that I've been recently diagnosed with. He said that it was only a matter of time until I had a seizure and then .... he gave me back my driver's license.

I haven't had a seizure in 8 months, and they only happened at night, while I was sleeping, so it should be fine. But, just in case, I agreed to increase my anti-seizure medication.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Joined the Party

Cause? Tetanus?

Has anyone had any thoughts about or reactions from tetanus shots?
My first seizure was 2012 at 57 years old on my daughters 21 birthday. She then stared having seizures less than a year later. No one else in the family has any. Mine is under control with only 2 major episodes. She has had 4 from 2013-2018. Mostly hers was afte4 drinking. We are both hypoglycemic and one thing I keep thinking about is that when I was pregnant with her I needed a tetanus shot. The doc gave me half a shot not knowing how it would effect the baby. Is it possible after 21+ years this could be part of the cause? I know that the hypoglycemia and alcohol and stress all can add to the situation but cause?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Send a message via AIM to Ravensong Send a message via Yahoo to Ravensong
I was a forceps delivery. The second neurologist I saw said that he thought it was likely it created scar tissue and that's why I have seizures. *shrug*
Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 AM

I got hit in the head by a golf club when I was about 8 and started having Grand Mal seizures after that on and off until the present so they believe that is the cause
Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

I had a traumatic Brain Injury in 1986. The neurologist said, I have the somewhat common to TBI people that the brain damage causes epilepsy, and sometimes more than a decade later as in my case. I do ok with meds. And then with MMJ they almost stopped completely. Altho I have seizures whenever I take amoxicillin. Over time I found that when I had a bad tooth infection I started seizing. After a while we found that it is the antibiotic. Never any problems with tetnus ( yet) ??
Jezy (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:07 PM

I was doing while for a while with my meds Lamictal and Keppra but the seizures have returned and my epileptologist is looking to supplement it.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:47 PM

I have scar tissue in my brain in the area that I always said I'm getting "weird feelings" (they're simple partials). I was a forceps delivery. They don't know why I started to get complex partials or had the 2-3 tonic clonics when I was 14.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:00 AM
Joined the Party

Yep, I have a malformed brain which is partly hollow. The seizures originate from this area when a nerve signal is sent through this area and fails to make it across...think a car jumping over a bridge and failing.

This malfunction also explains my inability to feel radiant heat
The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:
Janus (11-05-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 AM

I can feel the simple partials start. They originate in the back on the right side. When I described where I feeling was coming from, the neurologist said the EEG showed the simple partial start there, & the CT scan showed scar tissue in that area.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Send a message via AIM to C0urt Send a message via Yahoo to C0urt
My family has a preference for them an uncle an aunt and great aunt has had them. I am the only one who has run away with them.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:01 PM

got it from my mother,

hers came out of no where at 25, so did mine.

No reason found in 9yrs and IDK how many thousands of dollars.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymrat827 For This Useful Post:
malfeasant67 (11-21-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 AM
New Here

Send a message via Skype™ to shakinmunkey
mine is a bit odd.. i have a big bit of grey matter in the middle of my white matter in my brain, aparently its always been there. Fits didnt start until i was 21 though :/
the trigger that set it all off, was coming home early from work to find my fiance in bed with another guy just a few months after having our 1st kid.
After which, she said she was leaving me for him. the next day.. BOOM, majoy brain shutdown.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:06 PM

My scan or MRI, I can't remember which one. The neurologist showed me on the screen that I have two open cavities of vacant holes right the middle of the left and the right sides. There is a start where scar tissue where the seizures start, when I found out word recall starts there at the right temp real lobe. I shat my pants on the spot as I do poetry and love (crave) words. This is all post motorcycle crash, coma..
Old 11-07-2018, 12:34 AM

What an awesome subject ������ it was really interesting reading it!!!! Best read yet! ��
To be honest, no one ever told me what it might be CAUSED by and I never thought of it because I was too angry that I couldn't get past the " This sucks, this is impossible to get epilepsy out of the blue as an adult" ��
I had my first two weeks after I gave birth to my son (so you can get A seizure postnatal) so maybe the lack of sleep/stress of a newborn bub with work on the side?
But then after I found out about the scents and smells and deja vu and good/bad moods- got me thinking i might have had it earlier (i had depression from a very early age- apparently- i think everything is from a point of view)
So maybe that?
�� cool subject though �� thanks for sharing
Old 11-12-2018, 06:42 AM
Joined the Party

I agree....I have just gotten into reading some of these. My first was in my biology class in college. I had been tired after being after a volleyball tourney all weekend before; last thing I remember was staring at my rather good looking young professor. Next thing I know I was waking up, wrapped in a sheet with him sitting next to me in the student infirmary. Apparently I had had a grand mal and had lost control of my bladder.......how attractive.
Left temporal lobe, from what all 8 million scans and MRIs and WADA tests and God knows what else. Only thing we can think of was that I was also a forceps baby.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:28 PM

I wish that they could find out why I suddenly began having the complex partial seizures 20 years ago. Before those, the most dangerous seizures that I had (which I know of) were the 3 or 4 tonic clonics I had when I was 14, & they occurred in front of my parents. (I haven't had any more of those seizures since then).
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabbo For This Useful Post:
malfeasant67 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:40 AM

PNPO Deficiency

Has a cause been found for my seizures? Yes, Genetic - PNPO Deficiency.
------------------
Here is some information regarding vitamin B6 Dependent Epilepsy:
Quote :
PNPO
Quote :
Learn more about PNPO
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...dentistry/pnpo
Quote :
PNPO Deficiency
https://metabolicas.sjdhospitalbarce...ciency_eng.pdf
Quote :
Epilepsy as a Pyridoxine-Dependent Condition: Quantitative Urinary Biomarkers of Epilepsy. Family Disorders of Pyridoxine Metabolism
Quote :
Meanwhile, disturbances in the metabolism of glutamate, GABA, tryptophan (TRP), serotonin, taurine, dopamine, and norepinephrine, which are synthesized and/or metabolized by PLPdependent enzymes [20–32], have been repeatedly found in epileptic patients. The increased levels of excitatory amino acids—glutamate, aspartate, and glycine [21–27] along with the reduced levels of inhibitory amino acids and amines—GABA, serotonin, and taurine [28–32] were detected in the plasma, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), and epileptogenic foci of patients with different forms of epilepsy. Moreover, a moderate increase in the activity of glutamic acid dehydrogenase, the glutamate-synthesizing enzyme, which is specifically inhibited by PLP, has been found in epileptic foci [33].
The above two quotes were taken from the following URL:

https://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/52265.pdf
Quote :
Mutations in PROSC Disrupt Cellular Pyridoxal Phosphate Homeostasis and Cause Vitamin-B6-Dependent Epilepsy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5142116/
Quote :
Direct and Functional Biomarkers of Vitamin B6 Status
https://folk.uib.no/mfapu/Pages/BV/B..._arn_35_33.pdf

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Last edited by Andrew; 11-29-2018 at 06:45 AM.