Have you suffered memory loss from taking Neurontin?

Have you suffered memory loss from taking Neurontin?

• Yes I have, but I'm still taking it

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No, not that I notice

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Yes, and I have switched medications, but my memory is still cloudy.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Yes, and I have switched medications and my memory is back!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi, My neurologist added Keppra and is slowly deleting Neurontin from my medicines. I am on clonazepam, mysoline and Lamictal. My seizures are increasing.

Do not worry about dying. Have a positive attitude like I do. I live each day as it comes. I can die too. I do not think about it. Think about LIFE, and live it.

I take the max dose of Neurontin but unsure about how it affects my memory. Status has done far more damage. I lost the first 15 years of my memory due to Status.

Hi Jake,

I have the same effect with Status that you do. That does cause more memory loss than the meds I am on.

Are you still having status episodes? Mine have stopped now that I am on 5 meds.

My doc changed his mind about taking me off of Neurontin. I started having more seizures. He decided to keep me on what is working and Neurontin is one of them.

Last edited:
Hi Ruth,
I haven't had Status for about 10 years now but that doesn't mean it won't happen again. I have gone longer between Status attacks and like you I use to be on 5 meds but still had Status. I just worry about possible future Retrograte Amnesia that may happen like it did when I was 15. 15 years gone in a flash, I didn't even know my parents. I've had 7 bouts of Status that my mom (she's my memory) can remember in the last 45 years. Like you my memory (or lack of) is shot too. I hope those seizures are gone for good for the both of us.

Hi Jake,

I have not had status since 1979, after my last child was born. Like you, I know it can happen again. I had 3 bouts with it. I did not get amnesia like you did. I did go into a coma, though.

Hi Jake,
My daughter also had retrograde amnesia at the age of 15. Her memory came back after 3 months. It was a very scary time for us. I was not with her when it happened, so I don't know if it was due to a seizure. I don't think so as others would have noticed.

I have read that hypoglycemia can effect the area of the brain that controls this type of memory. My daughters seizures have been eliminated by making nutritional changes.
Certainly not to say it can't happen again, but we have been lucky for two weeks short of a year.

there is the good when your memory is shot, you dont regret things nearly as much. and it makes it a lot easier to relax and stay calm.

and the bad

just remember it could be worse,

I have retro grade amnesia after being in a coma for a month. I was missing 5 years of memories, And I lost the abilty to form short term memories for a bit. it was sort of like 50 first dates. but not so smoothly.

My gf and I of like a 2+ year relationship ended up breaking up, because I didnt remember who she was, all I had were pics and blog post.

seven years later, I have learned to adapt and deal with it. my memory is still shot for the most part. Lots of people never notice if you dont ask their name. makes forgetting it more socially acceptable. Several of my closer friends have noticed the look on my face that I dont recognize people I have seen 3 or 4 times all the time. And I am constantly re-teaching myself how to do things.

I have for several years now wondered why I just can't remember people I should know, it was a little embarrassing on Christmas when I didn't recognize someone I have known for ten years, and I do not remember certain times in my childhood or days , and I do find I am reteaching myself things too, my biggest help on remembering to do things is my blackberry :)

doctors took me off my meds in order to do a video eeg monitoring , after many grandmals I lost some memory , but it came back after the ativan was injected to stop the seizures and I was given my meds

Back
Top Bottom