• yoga

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • meditation

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • none (yet?!?!)

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Darn right Yoga can be tough. If you want to try a cool yoga system, try YRG-Yoga for Regular Guys (it's for gulrz too) It was developed by Diamond Dallas Page, the wrestler. At first look it seems cheesey like WWF. But it really is a thorough well planned system. It has been helping fix my back and neck problems from a plane crash a few years ago. The last thing I wanted was another medication to mix in with the Keppra! It also helps with the side effects too.

Actually, what made it so funny was that my hubby used to be a body builder. So he's VERY muscular. Needless to say, he has difficulty with some of the yoga poses because he's "muscle bound". :)

I like to meditate and compose music especially during stressful times. I compose everyday and I think it keeps me very happy and gives me a challenge. I think keeping active in mind and body is a great thing for us all.
Sometimes I will take a long walk with my doggie, Umbro. He also helps me in stress too probably since he is aware of it. I don't think it would ever cure E/SZs but I know it sure does help when I have a lot of seizures or its been a bad month. Meditation actually gets the brain going rather than slow it down. I say the word "Allah'u'Abha" (God is Glorious) 95 times using a tasbih or set of prayer beads that i make. That gets your body calm and your mind going- plus you are focused on something else besides the stress.

Everyone take care and be safe.
-CM

From time to time I have anxiety attacks, but I do not use any of the mentioned techniques to calm myself down. I just sit and take deep breathes, try to relax my body and tell myself not to be so silly because I have nothing to worry about.

I sometimes listen to music or chat to friends online to try and sway my thoughts into a different direction.

I try to avoid caffeine and sugary foods when I am feeling panicy, another item I avoid is using my Ventolin inhaler as this can make my heart beat fast.

I have the Nintendo WII fit game and I have had a laugh trying to perform the yoga tricks using this

TM

I should try TM once again, calm waters tend to keep spy away. Also, I too have most encounters with spy while fast asleep. Sunrise is always a welcome
gift. Like Willie Nelson said, "help me make through the night"...:agree:

I don't do any of the choices listed.

I swim to relax. I used to swim 5 days a week, an hour at a time, but I found out about the calcium/phenobarbital issue, so I'm adding in aerobics and weight training. So I swim 3 times a week and do the other stuff 2 times a week.

I find on the days that I don't exercise I have more seizure activity.

I practice....

both yoga and meditation on a daily basis. There is one form of meditation/yoga (yoga is considered a moving meditation with proper breathing) called Sahaja Yoga. In a research study, 86% of participants with epilepsy had their seizures either eliminated or reduced significantly by practicing this form.
The great thing about this (and what makes it credible to me) is that they do NOT charge for services. You can go to a center (they're all around the US). They also have an in-patient facility that they only charge for food and board NOT any of the doctor's services.

Lmt,

can you tell us more about this Sahaja Yoga? I've never heard of it before....

What I do to relax, is listen to soft music. I do not watch violent shows as they can cause me stress. I like melody music. No pictures, just a black screen on the TV with music. I also wear dark sunglasses to keep the bright lights on the computer at bay. I also go for walks.

If you go to their website (just put sahaja yoga in the search engine--it will come up) it will give you all information needed.

I think i will try a yoga regimen shortly...I am pretty lazy about doing it at home alone, so will try a local Wellness Center that offers yoga classes. I used to find that any sort of deep breathing would bring on aura's but i think overall, yoga is extremely beneficial since i learned yoga at age 10. I also get on the treadmill and run 2x's per week and focus my eyes on 1 spot on the wall (kind of meditative) so even if aura's come and i'm out of it, i keep my balance.

Getting past just practicing yogo or meditation, is it possible to reach a higher state of mind when your on epilepsy medications? Most medications slow down the brain/mind in one way or another do they not?

Getting past just practicing yoga or meditation, is it possible to reach a higher state of mind when your on epilepsy medications? Most medications slow down the brain/mind in one way or another do they not?

I see no reason why our AED's would prevent someone from reaching a higher state of mind. I believe that living in such a fast paced world is what keeps us from attaining a more enlightened condition. If that is true then us folk on AEDs might be ahead of the game.

I was taught anyone, regardless of personal challenges, no matter what those challenges are can attain a higher state.

Last edited:
Great Ideas

Although I haven't yet tried any of the poll answers I would imagine meditation would be a good one. I say this because technically the meds seemed to quiet my mind to the point where I didn't have a whole lot of thoughts going on at all and it reminded me of meditation or at least what it would be like since meditation is the practice of quieting the mind. Considering I'm not on meds perhaps I should try meditating.
Also, I too had fear of going to sleep since sleep seems to be a playground for seizure activity, but now that I found the dent below the nose or above the lip stop the seizures instantly I no longer have that fear. Although I'm lucky because my husband is a light sleeper and stops it for me since I don't know it's happening. For those of you with a partner perhaps they can stop it for you and it does make going to sleep easier. Although it does make you more dependent and I think at this point I would sleep in the same bed with a stranger ( only sleep : ) as long as they stop the seizure. I will have to give meditation a shot.

Hi Kelvarq,

There are other alternative methods, besides meds, that Robin and Bernard will help you out with. Just go to one of their posts, and they have them. Neurofeedback, diet and nutritions are others.

i voted yoga, although i dont do it anymore. I used to though. but i lost a lot of flexibility after my first car accident where I dislocated my hip. ouch

Meditation is so good. Not lately, but mostly durring school, Alex and I will meditate before going to bed and both of us sleep so much better.

Back
Top Bottom