Keppra and teeth!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dbrim

New
Reaction score
So... I have had pretty bad teeth, receding gums etc since I can remember... Probably when I started on epilim in about 1998. Since then I gave been on a few meds but keppra I am now on seems to have made the problem a whole lot worse!
Anyone else experienced gum or tooth problems relating to their AED's?????
HELP! I can't afford implants!

Yes!

I'm no longer on seizure meds, but one of my other meds, Diamox, dissolves teeth and bones because it puts the body into a state of acidosis. It also causes major dry mouth. Both those side effects cause cavities.

I told my dentist about this, and he prescribed special toothpaste that hardens the enamel. It's stronger than the over-the-counter stuff. I've heard gel-kam is good, too. It's not prescription, but it's hard to find. Some pharmacies have it behind the counter. My dentist also has me using Biotene gum/breath mints/gargle to help keep my mouth moist. The gel for overnight is horribly expensive, but it works for me. My doctor has me on calcium, magnesium, and vitamin d supplements. I brush my teeth in the morning, before bed, and after every meal (including coffee/tea/juice breaks). Despite this, my teeth are getting cavities at record rates.

Another issue is gum overgrowth. I don't know if that's a problem with epilim but it is for Dilantin (phenytoin).

Yes :(

Worst of all I was on a state dental plan and it didn't cover permanent fillings (!!!!). I fell during a seizure and hit my front teeth on something loosening them. They got pushed back a bit but they again didn't fix it because it was considered "cosmetic". :mad:. Im on my husbands now but they have limited coverage. The only thing they state did is take out my wisdom teeth. I just have to brush like heck, mouth wash and fluoride rinse.

Genetically I've got weak enamel so I'm double screwed. :banghead:

My 29 year old cousin just got those denture implants. 15-20 years from now that'll probably be me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom