Lamictal - how high a dose?

How high a dose of Lamictal or lamotrigene are you taking or have you taken?

• less than 100 mg/ day

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 100 - 175 mg/ day

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • 200 - 275 mg/ day

Votes: 22 20.2%
  • 300 - 375 mg/ day

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • 400 - 475 mg/ day

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • 500 - 575 mg/ day

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • 600 mg/ day

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • over 600 mg/ day

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That is interesting that the Lamictal actually seemed to keep your mood improved. I have multiple seizure types, and Lamictal seems to help more with the one than the other, and that is why the doctor added Zonegran as well. I almost think that the depression and the anxiety may be circumstantial as much as a side effect - as a consequence of not being able to focus.

Started at 10mg/day and now take 500, 250 at night and in the morning. Technically I'm on 550 but have only been taking 500 for almost two years now. I started taking it so young during such a tumultuous period in my life I have trouble distinguishing side effects. I have several theories but sadly no hard evidence, and I can't just stop taking it to see what goes away, since I know what WILL come up...

I take 200mg of Lamictal along with 2000mg of Keppra. Tolerating it ok however, I have noticed that I am more sensitive to light and flicky images. Not entirely sure whether this could be due to the Lamictal as it has only recently been increased. I also find that if I am late in taking my doses now, I do tend to feel a little down and teary.

Hi Aubrey - I don't know. I am going back up on Lamictal. At 100 mg, my mood feels much better. I'm still at 300 mg of Zonegran and still notice the other negatives, but definitely notice a better outlook so far (about three weeks in on first 50 mg, then 100 mg of Lamictal). This week I drop out 100 mg of Zonegran, so I will be able to start seeing some sort of measurable change... whatever change that may be.

I started lamictal in September. Began at 250mg and am up to 600mg a day. I find the side effects to be decent.. OI refuse to gain weight so I control that aspect. my moodiness is aparent but I suffer from depression so I try to get therapy to help with that. Lamictal also makes my gums very puffy and sensative.

Basically, the biggest problem I have with lamictal is the emotional effects. I wake up in the morning and have to convince myself to get out of bed and try to have a good day.

So far I find the seizure control to be no so good.. I have to continue to increase my dose every 2 months.

Hi sixyearsold -- I've found that extended release Lamictal is the best. Have you tried that? Also I think the generic isn't so good. If I miss a dose (like night time) I find myself getting depressed about 10 hours later. I always figure out right away that I've missed my dose and I go take it. I've felt the best on Lamictal than any other drug - it seems to be the all-in-one pill for me. I do feel more "drugged" than I want to --- a little more slow cognitively -- but experimenting with other meds hasn't worked out well for me. I definitely need something to pick up my mood a bit. I understand that epilepsy itself causes depression, so even knowing that, its important to have something going for mood.

I'm only about a third of the way converting from tegratol to lamotragene but by god I'm sick to death of kissing the kitchen floor while having myclonics. Last nite I was up late at a burns nite dinner dance this morning I am up at 6am to go and do a falconry demo while making a cuppa I pile drove my foot into the floor having a myclonic when I tried to straighten up I mistakenly put all my weight onto the same foot that I had hurt this foot tried to escape from under me leaving me to do a face first dive into the floor
Although I don't seem to do myself much damage doing these tricks I think I can safely say that our kitchen floor has no cracks in it as I've spent that much time inspecting it closely lol sorry I have to laugh at it as it stops me crying about it

I'm on 2x 200mg daily. I haven't had a fit for over 20 years but I feel rough when I'm not on meds so they are doing something right. But I'm experiencing increasingly serious memory and concentration issues so I'll be looking at what can be done to change my meds at my next consultant's appointment...

My son was on a very high dose of lamictal (and topamax) when his regular biannual exam and blood work showed significantly elevated liver enzymes. His neurologist immediately started cutting back on the lamictal and added keppra. His liver enzymes are now back to normal.

I was taking 300mg am and 200mg pm

Now

150mg am and 100mg pm, have never felt better.

i having skin problems with it...i try cut down but get pounding head aches and i no cope with them

I'm having a baby sometime this week, and my unborn child has been stealing some of my meds for the past twenty weeks. Apparently that's normal and means it's a good thing I'm taking lamictal. It was easy to fix, I had a blood test every 2 weeks to check my lamictal levels and raised the dose if they were different than they were supposed to be. I think we had to raise it a total of 200mg a day. Soon I'm going to have to cut back again.

Oops was the poll suppose to mean in ALL in a day? Or morning/evening?
I take 250 evening/morning.

I was on 300mg a day which offered no control so my nurse has decided to ramp it up to 400mg a day, only just started working my way up but everything is under control so far no seizure activity at all :woot:

my system is pretty sensitive to medication. I just increased to 200mgs. I was at 100 when I had a cluster (4) of seizures at the end of January. I very recently reached 200mgs (took my time titrating up).

My fingers are crossed that this 'works'.

Wow - some of you take a LOT of Lamictal. I take 400 mg XR at night, and it seems to do a pretty good job - though I guess I do still get some seizure activit y- mostly deja vu. I'm also on 2250 mg of Keppra though; however, my seizures didn't really start getting under control until Lamictal. I had side effects at first, but mostly they are managable (also hard to know which side effects are seizure meds, and which are antidepressants). I can still function without being a total fog, which is good! No weight gain either - also good.

I am now on 1500 mg per day of keppra. it sucks and i have been having these anger outbursts that embarrass me. I may start screaming at people. And i sure sleep lots. what the hell? am i doomed to this for ever if i want to be seizure free?

I wen off Keppa on Sunday after only 6 doses due to an allergic reaction. I start Lamictal tomorrow, I'm kind of scared. All this is so new. The doctor only tod me last Thursday that she thinks I am having partial seizures.

I am now on 1500 mg per day of keppra. it sucks and i have been having these anger outbursts that embarrass me. I may start screaming at people. And i sure sleep lots. what the hell? am i doomed to this for ever if i want to be seizure free?

Hi Janus
This is from a old post,but has the neroligist ever suggested Lamictal? I have just been changing over to Lamictal slowly at 25mg per week. The Kepprage is gone now but I am still on 1000 per day. Which I will decrease again to 500 next week.
I did some reasearch on the generic (Lamotrigine) Lamictal and it was not positive. Over 20 companys make it so there is to many variations. I prefer the real meal deal. :)
Doug

Back
Top Bottom