Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi stilldancing,

I would recommend it. In case of an emergency, they might know what medicine you are on. They might give you the wrong medicine for you.

Also as there is always the risk of being unconscience during a seizure episode it is always a really good idea to have a medic bracelet on your person, that can speak for you, when you cannot.

I would definately do it soon. :D Sadly E can mistaken for drinking or drug use. And I keep hearing of
E patients who haven't gotten medical attention as quickly as they could have due to this.

Okay. You all convinced me. I ordered one of those lightweight plastic medic alert bracelets that I'll wear on my ankle. It looks like the most comfortable, and it has an easily replaceable paper record on the inside of it. My meds are still changing so something engraved wouldn't work at this point.

The link to the site is posted in one of the previous posts.

My meds are still changing so something engraved wouldn't work at this point.

Medic alert has a system (at least in Canada) where the only thing engraved is their toll free number & your private number. Only medical professionals can call but this number gives them access to your doctor & file so as your details change (meds, problems, address, etc) so does your file.

It does have an annual fee but it's worth it to me.

For free the replaceable paper in a plastic brace/anklet sounds great though.

Okay. You all convinced me. I ordered one of those lightweight plastic medic alert bracelets that I'll wear on my ankle. It looks like the most comfortable, and it has an easily replaceable paper record on the inside of it. My meds are still changing so something engraved wouldn't work at this point.

With Medic Alert, you call them and let them know of any changes in your meds, doctors and people to contact. They make the changes in your file so it is always up to date. The latest information you give them, is the information that they give to the doctors.

I did not know that they had a replaceable paper record?

It's not a "medic alert" brand bracelet, but a different brand with the medic symbol on it. For me I think it's the best option, though I like the idea of having records in a central place that medical personnel can call, like the "medic alert" brand has.

It's not a "medic alert" brand bracelet, but a different brand with the medic symbol on it. For me I think it's the best option, though I like the idea of having records in a central place that medical personnel can call, like the "medic alert" brand has.

Why do you think it is the best option when you prefer the Medic Alert brand?

Ruth

I don't prefer the medic alert brand, at least for me. The plastic/paper one is the best option for me because it is the most lightweight and comfortable, I can easily change the info myself, and if there is a problem in an area where there is no emergency health care personnel or phones (like a backcountry trail!), whomever is there can just pop it open and see the info, which wouldn't be possible with medic alert (the call type, not the engraved type). And because it is so lightweight and comfortable I don't mind having it on my ankle all the time. I don't even notice it. The link was given in another post, but here it is again:
http://www.medids.com/IDonme_medicalbracelets.html

And if you want you can customize the bracelet yourself and attach the unit to something pretty, like they have at laurenshope.com. I made several pretty bead ankle bracelets in different colors for mine.

For someone else with a different lifestyle, the medic alert may be best. It's great we have so many different product that fill so many different people's needs!

Hi Endless, I looked up your link. What item # are you wearing? Do you have one with the Medic Alert Emblem? I noticed a some of them have the Medic Alert Emblem, but most do not.

Without the Medic Alert Emblem the emergency personel will just think it is jewelry. They will not pay any attention to it, without it.

Hi, Ruth. Yes, mine has a medic emblem on it. You can order the bracelets with either the medic symbol, or the ID symbol. Each color comes in both.

I have a keychain that says I have Epilepsy with the medi sign on it. Since I'm often non verbal afterward it helps a bunch. I have it attached to my bag with a carabiner and often it will fall into view during a seizure.

Without the Medic Alert Emblem the emergency personel will just think it is jewelry. They will not pay any attention to it, without it.

Hi Ruth.
Medical Personel are trained to look for any sort of ID or identification. The ones that do their jobs right look for any sort of jewlery or visible tattoos, keychains, on shoes, purses/bags. and in your wallet. Medical ID symbol is used primarily for people with Alzheimers or memory loss problems and most times its there to remind themselves about things. but never the less. a paramedic would look at it.

I think for those EMTS who dont look for medical info or ID should be retrained on how to do so.

Sadly E can mistaken for drinking or drug use. And I keep hearing of
E patients who haven't gotten medical attention as quickly as they could have due to this.
:agree:

This is correct. That is why it is important to have a bracelet. I still believe Medic Alert is the best.

Yep, it is time for me to get one. I just keep forgetting. I should get one for Alex at the same time I'm getting one for me. That will make me do it.

I don't know what is causing my seizures yet. As A child they were right temporal lobe and would go into tonic clonic's. Now at 38 they are back psychogenic or both. Should I get a bracelet that just says seizures on it? So they know I am not drunk?

Thanks,

John

I bought one for my son. It's a sports band with soccer balls on it. John I would recommend getting one. I just put "seizure disorder" on my son's, because at the time, we were changing his meds constantly, as well as the dosages, so any emergency personnel would have to call medic-alert to get the full-version of his meds and condition.

Back
Top Bottom