Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have one from Nstyle that is a titanium bangle, but as a mom I have gone through several that I have scratched or lost I hope this one does the trick!! As well as having Epilepsy I aslso have Asthma and a variety of allergies my bracelet has already saved my life and in the military community they always look at it when I am admited I wear it on my left hand where they would go to take my pulse so it is always visable.

I don't know what is causing my seizures yet. As A child they were right temporal lobe and would go into tonic clonic's. Now at 38 they are back psychogenic or both. Should I get a bracelet that just says seizures on it? So they know I am not drunk?

Thanks,

John

No need to know what is causing your seizures to get a medical bracelet. IHMO you don't need your whole medical background on it, just the basics like you said so people know what's happening (ie you're not drunk) & should you be in an accident or hospital (god forbidding) they know to ask about medications, etc.

I don't know what is causing my seizures yet. As A child they were right temporal lobe and would go into tonic clonic's. Now at 38 they are back psychogenic or both. Should I get a bracelet that just says seizures on it? So they know I am not drunk?

You should definetly get one for both reasons. I agree, put seizure disorder down. If you have both, like I do, put down epilepsy. I have the brand name Medic Alert.

I've been looking into getting one, since I would like to get a job. The only thing that I would put on it is to call 911 and my name since my meds are almost always changing. now to save up the money to be able to pay one.

I've been looking into getting one, since I would like to get a job. The only thing that I would put on it is to call 911 and my name since my meds are almost always changing. now to save up the money to be able to pay one.

Cher, you also need to put epilepsy and whatever health problems you have. With the brand name Medic Alert, you call and tell them about the change in your medicines. When the doctors call Medic Alert, they are given the up to the date medicines you are on. They also contact any family members you tell them about.

Medic Alert bracelet

My daughter usually wears hers and believes it has been used three times, by members of the public or ambulance staff, to ring the control centre and get our phone number and phone us to come and assist after a seizure. Admittedly the one time we are sure a member of the public used it, she was herself the mother of someone with epilepsy and knew what to look for! But recently an ambulance officer told me they had been called out to our daughter by someone reporting a young woman fallen, injured and 'jerking' in the road, and the ambulance team's suspicions of epilepsy were confirmed as soon as they read the information on her bracelet. I think they probably used her mobile phone to contact us, rather than going through the control centre, but we all feel the bracelet provides an additional measure of security when she is out on her own.

Cher, you also need to put epilepsy and whatever health problems you have. With the brand name Medic Alert, you call and tell them about the change in your medicines. When the doctors call Medic Alert, they are given the up to the date medicines you are on. They also contact any family members you tell them about.

Ruth I understand that I would have to put epilepsy on it, I just don't like the thought of my med list being on a tag that anyone could see.

Ruth I understand that I would have to put epilepsy on it, I just don't like the thought of my med list being on a tag that anyone could see.

No need to put your med list on the bracelet. Just what you feel people should know.

If you use the official medic alert bracelet you just put what you want others to see on it. There is a 1-800 number on the back that only doctors can use to access your vital info in case of an emergency though that service does cost a few bucks each year.

Last edited:
The sports-type bracelets contain all your info on a piece of paper inside the bracelet, and don't show anything to others unless they open it and look.
http://www.medids.com/IDonme_medicalbracelets.html

I wear mine on my left ankle. I made some pretty beaded bands for it, so it looks like an ankle bracelet. Guys would probably leave it as-is. :)

The bracelet

I started wearing one then I got tired of trying to undo the clasp. I finally left it in the drawer. Probably should, but I carrying an ID in my wallet.

That is a great idea. I never thought to have that put on my medicine bottles. I will start doing that. Thank you, Billy.

That is a great idea. I never thought to have that put on my medicine bottles. I will start doing that. Thank you, Billy.

Ruth, yes...
Just tell him to put it on the Bottle "For Epilepsy" He will write it on the script...
The reason I have that on my bottles is just in case the medicine stops working... and I have a seizure, they know what I take it for...
Billy :)

I wear a medical alert bracelet, I have for a year or two. No one really asks about it and I'm not ashamed of it. At the very least if the EMTs don't read what's engraved they see the medical symbol on it and check my wallet for the medical ID card.

When I was younger I had a SOS talisman necklace which I had to wear all the time. It was really chuncky and you had to unscrew then inside there was a little bit of paper with all my details on.
I did not mind it but it was really annoying in primary school because we were not allowed to wear jewellry and for the first year everyone kept coming up to me and telling me I should not be wearing it and I had to explain everytime!
Got annoying after the first 3 people.

When I was younger I had a SOS talisman necklace which I had to wear all the time. It was really chuncky and you had to unscrew then inside there was a little bit of paper with all my details on.

Did the paramedics ever have to unscrew it to get the piece of paper. Did they know that there where your details of your health and medications in it?

With Medic Alert, there is a number for the Doctor's and paramedics to call to get all of the information. Medic Alert will call your doctor's and family to tell them where you are at. The doctor who knows you can treat you over the phone. I will stay with Medic Alert.

Will the paramedics notice that there is info inside of it? They might look at it as pretty jewerly. Have you asked your doctor if it will be noticed as medical?

It has the medic ID symbol on the outside. They should notice it.

Back
Top Bottom