Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I hope they do! I am for the Medic Alert brand name. That is what I choose.

i have a necklace which contains all my information but noone thought to look for it when i was having seizures in the street last week. ended up in hospital and noone really paid attention to it

No I don't wear one because I've never been able to afford one.
I do carry around in my wallet a card stating my epilepsy and what meds I take and who to contact.

That is good that you are carrying a card in your wallet. However, where I live, the paramedics and the ER do not look in my wallet. They do not want to be accused of theft.

Ask to make sure that they do before you have an emergency.

Medical Alert Systems

Hello,
Its good to wear that around your neck. Its good for the elderly people too as that will ensure them of being connected with their near and dear ones. In the case of emergency they can be easily used.

I am an elderly person, 67 years old, and I wear a bracelet. The paramedics look at it each time I am rushed to ER by ambulance.

I just ordered a pendant last night. I'm not really worried about needing it for an ambulance, but more concerned with just not knowing where I am one day and getting lost. The front says epilepsy, and on the back it says no ambulance, has my dads number, and instructions to return me to my home with address provided just in case I really don't know what's going on (P.s. I'm only 33 LOL)

Hey, Reuben. What a good idea that you have all that on your pendant. Now that I hear about yours, I'm thinking of changing mine to include that stuff, too.

Now if you had your parent's names and number sewn in your underwear, that's when we'd begin to worry. Lol.....

Last edited:
YOU MEAN, I'm not supposed to have that stuff sewn into my underwear?

Yup, I was surprised what they fit on it. I ended up getting this one

stickyj.com/cr1810.html

and it's so much cheaper to have them do the engraving for big things than to do something locally. I think my cheap one I got with seizure on the front I paid a few bucks a letter, where to get those 5 lines of info (15 characters per line) only cost me like $10.

They do have a bunch of epilepsy ones as well

stickyj.com/medical-emergency-epilepsy-medical-id.html

I ordered at 1 a.m. last night, and by noon today they already had picked one out for me, inspected, and had it engraved. Rather impressed so far.

LOL, I'd be worried if the stranger that stops to help would be reading my underwear. Might have bigger concerns at that point :D

Doh, apparently I'm too new here to post links so you will have to cut and paste those links

Cool, thanks ruth. I tried before and it just tells me that I haven't been a member long enough to do links yet, no matter what I tried. I'm glad you were able to get it up for me though :D

Hey, Reuben,

What a great site. The prices are great. I especially like it that their bracets have "epilepsy" on the front of it. A lot of people may not bother to turn it over. Nobody would know what's going on until the first responders get there.

For the women, I found this super-cheap site for sterling chains (for your Medic alert necklaces or bracelets). I don't like the stainless steel chain that mine came with. I haven't ordered anything from that site yet so I don't know about the quality. I'll let you know how it is after I order.

http://www.dreamlandjewelry.com/stsiboxch.html

The price for a sterling silver medic alert pendant or bracelet is huge - really expensive. Has anybody found a cheap source?

Vermeil would be nice, too. (Gold plated silver)

The stainless steel medic ID necklace I have is giving me a rash. It must have nickel in it. I need one made out of a different metal, but silver & gold are so expensive on the Medic Alert site.

I did find a site that has silver and gold medical ID jewelry at a better price (about half), but I don't know anything about their quality:
http://www.picturesongold.com/catal...al=9&shape=&size=&showall=&orderField=idd&p=1

They have cheap-ish gold and silver necklaces to hang pendants on at QVC.

Hmmmm....

Or, if you like the medic alert site, and what it has to offer as far as an online data base that your doctor can access, just find one at your local pharmacy, and get it engraved with the information that they give you.

Also, from what I have just learnerd. If you get a RX for one, it should be covered under insurance.

I haven't found gold or silver medic alert pendants/necklaces at reasonable prices anywhere else than online, darn it. I want a pendant, not a bracelet, and it can't be stainless steel becasue I'm allergic to the nickel in it. Has anybody found any in gold or silver that are cheaper than at the link in the previous post? If so can you pass it along? :)

And Rae - yes, I agree! It would be great if insurance paid for it!

Hey Endless,
I don't know where your at but I have found some really reasonably priced ones at jewellers here in Montreal. My Sis in law is getting me a new one for Christmas cuz I broke my old one during a seizure (go figure :p) Check around at different places some of the smaller shops offer some nice deals including free engraving.

I have been convinced

first of all, i voted no. I have never wanted a tag that would make me even more different from others than i am now. I read ALL the posts on here, and was really convinced that i should get one (my husband is doing the happy dance right now). The reasons (ahem excuses) for me have been: i don't want to be branded, i wear tank tops alot and there is no hiding that, i will lose it, they would be uncomfortable, my meds are constantly changing... trust me the list goes on. I contacted medicalert and it seemed quite painless. My sports bracelet will be here in 7-10 business days. A little too late for my upcoming trip (first one i have taken alone in 7 years) but it is a step. Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread... I have been accused of being on drugs and alcohol myself, along with not being med compliant, hopefully this will help. Drugs and alcohol are always the first assumptions when i seize in public, so once again i just want to thank you guys and gals. I have been convinced that i may not be so bad after all.:paperbag:

Back
Top Bottom