Memory and Cognitive Functionality and Issues

Memory loss / Issues and Cognitive Functionality

• Anti-epileptic drug(s) worsens the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • Anti-epileptic drug(s) does not change the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Surgery worsens the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Surgery improved the Memory / Cognitive issues only after some therapy(ies) to a degree

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Surgery improved the Memory / Cognitive issues only after some therapy(ies) nearly completely

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • VNS improved the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • VNS with Anti-epileptic drug(s) improved the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • VNS worsen the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • VNS with Anti-epileptic drug(s) worsen the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • None of the above applies

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Just an FYI - I have gone through the channels and my doctor has sent a letter to out insurance company and said if they do not accept her reasoning she will write an Rx for Keppra xr as there is no receipt. This whole medical thing annoys me. There will be no new cures found for any disease as the research will not pay off!

Thanks for your help...

I have taken meds that when I got off them I was a new person. I could think again.After seizures I have a tough time with memory. Word finding is tough sometimes and I know that is from my meds.It depends how much you are on, how long you have been on it, and what your body can tolerate.I have a lot of memory loss due to surgery, and a lot of other things.But there are things to help some of that. I also know a lady who is 107 and really does everything she can to eat , excercise, and keep up with things and her memory is pretty sharp.We have a say in it to.

After seizures I have a tough time with memory.
Wow, I wish I had seen this in myself earlier. Problems with work for me, for years, and only this year have I seen that the two - memory issues and seizures - must be related. Maybe the meds cause memory problems too, but that's not as clear for me. I'm mostly satisfied with my meds at the moment.

That's good. Welcome newbies. I am glad that you are satisfied with your meds right now. I don't get to hear that very often. I am happy with mine for the first time in a long time. I have not had a grand mal seizure in about 10 months now . And my brain feels much clearer.

Until the past few years meds were not looked at as causing my memory issues - I always blamed it on my surgery. I have been taking meds for 30+ years and until 1 or 2 years ago I did not see memory decine as an issue. Probably because I wasn't having seizures. However, my decrease in memory, or the need to know more, seems to have increased threefold over the past few years. The most frustrating part of it is that it will NOT be taken into account by those around except my wife. I have trouble getting things in writting at work continually - it is too simple to forward an email... My wife finishes many of my sentences as I cannot - it used to be cute, but after a while that wears off. I know that is something that causes me to press my kids (1st & 3rd grade) to learn more as they have amazing memories.

I understand totally! I too have a son who is 12 and he has epilepsy and has a fantastic memory. I am watching him like a hawk. And I have been taking meds over 35 years.I have been on every med in history. I think. So I help pick my sons meds.I know I am learning from my son, and going on to school....ha ha ha,I am seeing how I learn all over again.

I really miss my memory. I know that sounds odd ,but everyone probably agrees with me. I go along for a little while and I'm ok. Then I have this confusion and short term memory loss days. It's pretty depressing. Needless to say I have had one of those episodes. Whoa! I just wish we were all free of this ! Thanks for listening. What a lousy day!:paperbag:

I always find the worst part of memory loss is the way people remind you about things you've forgotten about
You either get yelled at or spoken to like you are stupid rather than have u forgotten its "YOU'VE FORGOT AGAiN"

Don't worry about the memory issues you guys. I have been on line going to school and being on the computer causes me to go into status. Talk about memory loss. It's hard but you can get passed it. I hate it with a passion. I can't play my violin any more, but I still have the passion. I miss it. I probably have the worse memory here. I believe in you all.

It doesn't matter anymore, but my ex husband used to really mad that I couldn't even remember if I had a certain movie! :pop:

Feels worse when uve just finished nagging the kids for not doing something and then I turn to the missus and say"what was I going to do next"

It's a part of life that we have to deal with. I don't like it, but it's that or be mad all the time. It's easier to forget about it. lol Join me?

Definitely worse. It's hard explaining to your teachers (or anyone really) that you try to understand you try to remember, you try to pay attention but you just can't. I hate and love my medication.

I know what you mean it's hard for me to pay attention when I'm in a meeting at work. I blank out and come back. I hate it or I just forget as quickly as one of my co-workers says something.Luckily most of my my friends at work are patient with me ,but I feel useless. It's silly cause my evaluation at work was fine. My meds have also changed my personality and not for the better.:ponder:

Well now I don't have to explain anymore. I am not in school anymore. I just couldn't do it on line. Could not remember anything, status, I have to go to a "live" school. I am going to miss it.

Ohhhh... I'm so sorry you had to drop your class. Online is so convenient - no traveling by bus. Are you planning to enroll in an inperson class this year?

I know what you mean. My personality has really changed too. I used to be so caring and concerned for others. Now if someone says something to me, I just say thank you and don't ask them anything! It bugs me.

My personality has changed so much , I'm just very frustrated and am feeling pretty alone. I just feel like I'm not a good fit with my family or my job anymore. However, I keep plugging along cause I know things get better - just get depressed about this situation. Hard to believe one of my friends told a co-worker I'm the funniest person she's ever met. Now that I've really cheered everyone up - thanks for listening cause - well thanks . Things will get better or worse I just have to try to hang in there .:paperbag:

Thanks everybody. Just have to find another way I guess. I am being a big baby right now. And I am still having seizures every night. Oh I am so mad! Anyway, if you don't see me around its just for that reason.Now every body do something crazy and smile!;)

Back
Top Bottom