Motion sickness

Your experience of seizures/motion sickness?

• I have seizures, but don't get motion sickness particularly

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I have seizures and motion sickness, but the motion sickness is not affected by seizure symptoms

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • My motion sickness worsens along with seizure symptoms

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I ONLY get motion sickness in association with seizure symptoms

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don't get seizures, or motion sickness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have motion sickness, but not seizures

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rag

New
Reaction score
I've had an exasperating tendency to motion sickness for my entire life. Unlike most people I didn't "grow" out of it after childhood, though I have developed better strategies for managing it. It's a long time since I actually threw up violently, as was rather commonly the case in my childhood and even teenage years, but there are times when I reach the end of a journey, sometimes even a short one, feeling nauseous, feverish and weak, and take quite a while to recover from the experience.

It usually starts with a sudden elevation in temperature, then I get nausea, a rapid pulse, and often end up going very pale. Cooling down can help to control it if I do so early enough, before the nausea really takes hold; I've before now had to resort to sitting in a car with the window wide open, in the middle of winter, wearing just a thin T-shirt, for most of the journey to relieve symptoms - while other occupants give me baleful stares from inside their coats, scarves, and thick layers of clothing. (It's harder for people to carp and complain when I, and not them am evidently the one who is going to be freezing to death, and I never seem to get any takers when I ask whether they would perhaps like to be thrown up on as an alternative, hehe ;) )

For some reason this problem only appears to affect me in wheeled transport - cars, buses, etc. I haven't had problems while flying or travelling by sea that I remember. The other day I was getting what may have been aura-ish symptoms and was generally not feeling so good (I'm pretty sure that I would have had some kind of seizures if I'd gone to sleep, but resolutely stayed awake). These symptoms didn't include nausea or anything I'd associate with motion sickness though. However, at the end of a short car journey of about 5 miles, I was feeling extremely ill and had difficulty doing anything at all for a while: I took several hours in total to fully recover from the motion sickness symptoms and be left with just the seizurey ones to contend with. This is a pretty bad reaction even for me.

Is anyone else here more than usually prone to motion sickness, and is it something they would associate with seizures in any way? Or is it just me who gets this? I've never heard of a motion sickness/epilepsy link, but it wouldn't altogether surprise me if there was one.

Last edited:
I don't

generally have any problems, but my partner does....and once in a blue moon, I DO.

Have you ever considered using something with mint in it, or ginger? There's some great herbal teas, or even ginger beer (which doesn't have a lot of alcohol, if any) that can help you out as well......)

Motion sickness = Chiropractor. (in some cases) Is something wrong in the lower spine. Around the 6th cervical - Experienced, now motion sickness gone.

I still have absent type seizures (all other seizures are controlled, including Status Epilepticus) and motion sickness is virtually none existent.

I like ginger and my seizure medication consist of B vitamins only (mainly vitamin B6). So maybe this has something to do with it? (please read on)

"Ginger root is commonly thought to be an effective anti-emetic. One trial review indicated that sucking on crystallized ginger or sipping ginger tea can help to relieve the nausea,[19] while an earlier study indicated that it had only a placebo effect.[20] Tests conducted on the television shows Mythbusters and Food Detectives support the theory that ginger is an effective treatment for the nausea caused by motion sickness.[21]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

and:

"In conclusion, the mean "difference in nausea" score in patients with severe nausea and the total number of patients with vomiting were significantly reduced following
vitamin B6 therapy"

http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/abstract/1991/07000/vitamin_b6_is_effective_therapy_for_nausea_and.7.aspx

Also:

http://www.parentsconnect.com/pregnancy/health/pregnancy-symptoms/pregnancy-nausea/morning_sickness_herbs.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14649969

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17621727

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards,

Andy

Last edited:
Motion sickness = Chiropractor. (in some cases) Is something wrong in the lower spine. Around the 6th cervical - Experienced, now motion sickness gone.

I've never known chiropractors to cure motion sickness but the cervical vertebrae are around the neck, nowhere near the lower spine.
cervical vertebrae (singular: vertebra) are those vertebrae immediately inferior to the skull.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervical_vertebrae

Last edited:
heck i get both and very often put they are together but to me it seems the motion sickness makes my seizures worse don't know if that's possible i can handle seizures getting sick and the room wont quit spinning i can't handle.

I never used to get any motion sickness until my epilepsy reappeared. It's settled down a lot but I still get it occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom