Nocturnal Seizures and grinding your teeth?

Those with nocturnal seizures, do you also grind your teeth?

• Yes

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Its just a little chip more enamel than anything, the funny think is I still have three baby teeth that didn't have adult teeth to push them out and its one of them. One of those two little front bottom ones th first ones you get 44 years old I'm surprised they held up this long. I guess the tooth ferry still owes me.

I think I do grind my teeth cause sometimes my mouth hurts, well, it's like the nerves in my teeth hurt, hard to explain.

Billy. :twocents:

I grind my teeth and clench even when I'm awake *I might have said this earlier, but I am too lazy to go check.* :)

I do it awake too, maybe even more cause I get so annoyed while I'm in the real world I like dream world so much more.

Yeah, me too. dreaming is nice. it means i'm sleeping too.

I have chipped teeth fron grinding. both during and after a seizure, as well as awake and sleeping.

I was actually just at the ortho today I chipped a tooth over Christmas. he was amazed with the mess in my mouth all those years of grinding. Back jaw headache tonight but better than a seizure one.

anticonvolsants are bad for our teeth and the seizures are pretty destructive too. Im real thankfull that after all the stuff Ive been seizurefree for 282 days today. I thank God!

Partner chomps in his sleep. I don't think I've ever heard him grind. He's like a snapping dog sometimes.

Not being funny - does your partner ever bite the inside of his cheek when he chomps during his sleep? Also, in what condition are his teeth? I'm thinking more of them being weakened by the chomping, especially if he's having nocturnal seizures. There's at least 200x the regular force on your teeth if you chomp on your tongue or inside of your cheek during a seizure. (I read that statement within the last 3 days.)

I grind mine pretty badly. Most of my seizures are at night, so I got a mouth guard too, but before long I gave up on wearing it. It's just annoying, plus half the time I would throw it across the room in my sleep and could hardly find it the next day!:bigsmile:

I've had this problem since I had teeth
and now pretty much my teeth are going
"Hasta la bye bye".

As for the dental Appliances or Plates or
Guards - whatever you want to call it;
the seizures were so bad I would grind
them clean out within a few weeks.

My Orthosurgeon made me a huge set
of them so I wouldn't have to keep
returning to pick up the appliances
but as my Dentist and the Surgeon agreed,
there was nothing they could do unless my
seizures were controlled. But he did order
them to be made thicker than usual so
they would last longer (Yeah - right).

PS: Not only did I grind the plates to
death, I've actually SHATTERED one
(brand new) because of a T/C! The
Surgeon was so shocked!

Note: The Orthosurgeon had been around for a long time and
was very familiar with Epilepsy - however, while some of his
patients have had T/C's but he's never ever had any of his
patients shattering a brand new appliance like that. He told
me so; insomuch he did state he's had some that cracked
or chipped it - but not shattering it where it was rendered
completely useless!

Not being funny - does your partner ever bite the inside of his cheek when he chomps during his sleep? Also, in what condition are his teeth? I'm thinking more of them being weakened by the chomping, especially if he's having nocturnal seizures. There's at least 200x the regular force on your teeth if you chomp on your tongue or inside of your cheek during a seizure. (I read that statement within the last 3 days.)

Yeah, he's bitten his cheeks a lot, and the sides of his tongue. His teeth are just falling apart :(

Ive bitten the insides of my cheeks and my tongue in my sleep, thats when I seize in my sleep. Im very thankfull for that. Has anyone had breakthrough seizures because of tetracycline? Ive read that it lowers the seizure threshold.

i have bitten my tongue and cheek while sleeping, and i'm sure there have been a few times, where i have done it without a tonic clonic. is this possible if you have a complex partial or simple partial or electrographic seizure while sleeping.

I would say yes, theres so much uncontrolled movment involved with seizure activity. I think that any uncontrolled movments are misfireing nerons and some sort of seizure activity.

Yes, but a lot of people do it. I remember my mother doing that when I was little. She does not have epilepsy. I do it a lot. I have a lot of myoclonic nocturnal siezures.

Mike said:
Anticonvolsants are bad for our teeth and the seizures are pretty destructive too.

That's one reason why I will spend my "free" money on dental work - the damage the Rx does to our teeth is worth the investment to keep our teeth for as long as is humanly possible. Because of this "extravagance", I will often do without going to see a movie or spending a bit of $$ on myself. My general health is too important to neglect!

You are soooo right because without it you cant take care of anything else. I believe its in the foods we eat. The things that rob us of our health.

I wake up at night from biting my tongue and with drool all over my pillow. I know that a complex partial or tc seizure didn't cause those things because the pain woke me up. If it was an altered consciousness seizure, it wouldn't have.

That doesn't rule out a simple partial seizure, though. I've wondered if I grind my teeth while I'm still asleep during those, because of the tongue biting, and because sometimes I wake up in the middle of a SP biting my tongue.

Maybe both. I had simple and complex my whole life and also am a teeth grinder and clencher. I sleep with a bite guard made by a periodontist to protect me teeth and it seems to protect my tongue a little.

Back
Top Bottom