Nocturnal Seizures and grinding your teeth?

Those with nocturnal seizures, do you also grind your teeth?

• Yes

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Do you know if theres a link between grinding or clenching and seizure activity? like somthing to be aware of before the activity starts.

As I am an unstable epileptic, suffering all types of Sz, grinding my teeth tends to be par for the course re: a Partial Seizure.

Whether it's during the day or night is irrelevant but the most significant aspect tends to be that, generally, if I'm not suffering a PS (& grinding my teeth) I'm having a more serious episode & biting my tongue.

Hey CM If you can go to the dentist and have your teeth molded. They will give you something to cover your teeth at night that fit your teeth just right. And it will help. I grew up in dentistry.

I used to be a tooth grinder. I have no idea why I stopped.

I agree with Stilldancing. A mouth guard is extremely helpful. I have a hard plastic one AND a soft silicone one.

The hard plastic one is actually a special one made just for sleep apnea. They take a specialized dentist and are ridiculously expensive. My mom got a regular tooth guard made by her dentist for about $500. If that's too much you may want to consider the below options.

My soft silicone bleaching tray (tooth guard) I just love. I got it pretty cheap as part of a teeth whitening kit I ordered online. I took my own "plaster" impressions and mailed them in, and the company made a custom tooth tray. It works just like a mouth guard and it is springy-soft. Very comfortable. Maybe not so durable, but for the price, worth it. I can't find the company I got mine from. Here are a few, though.

This isn't the company I got mine from, and it is heat formed at home, but.... http://www.starteethwhitening.com/Custom-Teeth-Whitening-Mouth-Trays.html

This is make an impression and send away. You'd have to cut off the tabs. No idea on quality: http://www.just4teeth.com/products/Teeth-Whitening

This company/product sounds a lot like mine. Take an impression, mail it in, they make you custom trays/mouthguards. Down the page is a link to instructions on how to do it. http://www.ultra-white.com/customfittrays.html Price: $70

Good luck!

:agree:

Yes - I agree. That's why the silicone one is the one I like best. Very easy on the mouth, very comfortable. But if I use it every night I have to replace it every 4-6 months. The last link is for a silicone one, I think, but an email to the seller would find out for sure.

teeth

grinding is affecting my teeth, jaw, neck and shoulders. I am not wearing a night guard right now, and I feel it! The last time I got a massage, the therapist was worn out trying to get all the knots out. The dentist wants a mortgage payment for a guard, so I am back to ordering a cheap one. Tried the doctors night guard brand, made me worse. Will check out the site suggested on here-thanks!!:bigsmile:

night guard

I ordered a night guard called; Plackers grind-no-more teeth grinding guard... that's a long name now that I look at it! So I will give this a shot. I feel as though I have bricks inserted in my neck and shoulders when I awake. What I would give to wake up feeling rested, honestly can not remember what it feels like.

Good girl I never sleep with out mine remember to use it when you nap too.You may drool a bit at first I kept a little hand towel in my bed at first.

You may want to invest in a good pillow that is firm but not too thick if your neck and shoulders bother you and tell your hubby you need a massage.

Sleep well.

night grinding

wow----i never knew this can be an epi problem.this has just happened recently to me-----night grinding.I just had a med change and then this started.----do you think a med change can do this?Have had lots of dental work in the past two weeks and having a night guard made,i have cp's but never had this problem.any thoughts?

Hi libbyl - Hope your'e well - I don't have night GM's too often but, no matter what the Sz type, I always grind my teeth & dribble.

grinder

a good pillow. Have thought about that also. I tend to crane my neck forward, ya know hard of hearing and eyesight compromised! All on the right side, jaw, neck, and shoulder pain, also in my clavicle, which is interesting since I have mostly bitten the right side of my tongue when I have had T/C's.

Im sure that the grinding was medication related now that they adjusted it. I had four years of anger inside and didnt even realize it untill they took me off this drug, almost off. 1250mg of Keppra B.I.D. turned me into a mean person, I didnt even like myself. Thanks for all your input. The people who visit this site are really helpfull!

grinding teeth

The dentist has made a gum shield for me - she took an impression of my lower teeth then made up a see-through gum shield which I wear on the lower teeth- took a while to get use too but very effective!
:)

Funny you should ask. I had Root Canal Surgery a few months ago and the Dr said the Xrays showed trauma and when he found out that I have nocturnal seizures he asked me if I grind my teeth and I told him I didn't know. I am always sound asleep and then awake to this rude awakening of these nocturnal seizures and I feel a variety of symptoms usually in the head and joints and the feeling of absolute dread.:e:

I grind my teeth because of nocturnal s. But I also had a root canal, and I had a temporary cover...I don't have one any more.

Where can you get a mouth guard? Are they commonly available in a drug store? I just started having this tongue biting a couple of times this year. I'm in my 50's and have never had any symptoms before this year. My bottom tooth and top tooth is cracked and sharp. This seems to be where I damage my tongue while sleeping. Can diet trigger these episodes? I have been mostly a vegan for a long time? Can deprivation of milk (calcium etc.) be an issue? I have also started taking Avodart and Uroxitral for prostate issues. Could any of these drugs trigger the above episodes?

Last edited:
I grin my teeth, not sure if a mouth guard would help, cause I talk a lot I'm my sleep. A few times I've woken up with clenched fists.

not sure if a mouth guard would help, cause I talk a lot I'm my sleep. A few times I've woken up with clenched fists.

I have a mouth guard custom made for me by my dentist. It holds on to your teeth so that even if you're talking in your sleep (I'm told I do too) it doesn't come off.

Cool. Theres an app on the iPhone that records audio at night, it only records when there's noise, apparently I swear a lot in my sleep.

Back
Top Bottom