Reactions to epilepsy

How do other people react to epilepsy for you?

• Overreaction

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Under Reaction

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Just Right

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • They don't know

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • They don't care

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've had numerous people react differently. You should allow multiple choices in this poll.

I voted for other

I find polarised responses.

People either panic and run around like a chook with its head cut off. Do you want; water? a cup of tea? an ambulance? shall I call your husband? to lie down? sit up? move your legs? hold your hand? a cold wash cloth? etc etc. They mean well but its best for me if they just are quiet and let me go through it. We'll deal with the rest of it later. They are just anxious and want to help out.

Or alternately, I have had people just stand there staring at me like I'm some kind of side show while I have collapsed on the ground and am unable to speak or move my body. While these people aggravate me more, they feel just as helpless as the above mentioned group. Would appreciate them not staring at me while in a humiliating position though.

I get all of the above as well, if anyone is around...if I'm alone I just get a good grooming from one of my cats, :roflmao:

Wait...

Just so I am clear. Is this a reaction to you telling them you have E, or talking about E, or them specifically watching me have a seizure?

If it's for telling people I have E, then it's all of the above.

Sometimes it's understanding, others confusion. Often it's ignorance.

People have said:
"should I make sure I don't burn the toast?"

"Why don't you take some pills and stop it from happening?" *Wow, thanks I never thought of that* :rolleyes:

lol chris. I love your sarcasm there.

its true. some people are ignorant. but i dont think they mean to be. I think they are generally trying to look out for us by NOT burning the toast. or not having flashing lights, even though it doesnt affect every epileptic. Ignorance is Bliss has more than one meaning when it comes to E.

People have said:
"should I make sure I don't burn the toast?"

"Why don't you take some pills and stop it from happening?" *Wow, thanks I never thought of that* :rolleyes:

I voted other too!
I always laugh at the burnt toast line, at least its a doorway to educating people. I get a chance to slide my 30 second "The More You Know" bit in.

The pills line recently pissed me off royal! When you try and explain most don't care to listen. I have found that many of the people who use that line often think that you are screwing up if the pills don't work.

The pills line recently pissed me off royal! When you try and explain most don't care to listen. I have found that many of the people who use that line often think that you are screwing up if the pills don't work.

Totally! I had one person give me the pills line. She said "this guy I know was having fits (yes she said fits) and the doctor gave him some pills and they stopped. Why doesn't it work for you?" (implying that I was taking the wrong ones or something, who knows)

Yeah been there, guy has a dog with E and he gives her pills and everything is fine so how come I'm not? I may a @itch, just not that kind. Should have told him I was the wrong breed of dog :roflmao:

Aside from the bastard who stole my cell phone. Most people over react usually from my perspective. Most of my close friends are pretty cool about it at that point.

Sorry Rae, I meant specifically when they witness me have a seizure - if they recognise it or if I have someone with me who tells the audience what is going on. I tell everyone that I have this and blank their reaction because I couldn't give a damn what their reaction is so long as they don't call an ambulance (unless I stop breathing or there is a large amount of blood). So I interpreted the question in that way.

Am I making sense?

If people want to talk to me about it I do to a degree, I don't understand it anyway. I just tell what happens to me - i have no idea why - people always want to know why. Generally conversations are along the line of 'experts' who knows their neighbour's sister's boyfriend's friend's mechanic's cat who has epilepsy and just like Chris & Seizing beauty I'm not doing it right either. So I sort of tune out to their expert knowledge.

BTW i don't get the 'toast' comment. Forgive my dumb brain but can anyone fill me in?

Lucy x

Last edited:
Um well thanks, a least I get the connection now.

Hmmm looked a bit freaky. Did they run this while people had their breakfast? would've put me off mine, although todays drugs do that anyway.

thanx, Lucy x

I remember that ad!

Okay, this sounds odd, but that ad is part of the reason why we've figured out partner's issue. That ad, and Degrassi Jr. High (anyone else remember Kate's absence seizures?).

Could I get more Canadian?

I remember that ad!

Okay, this sounds odd, but that ad is part of the reason why we've figured out partner's issue. That ad, and Degrassi Jr. High (anyone else remember Kate's absence seizures?).

Could I get more Canadian?

Possibly, I now watch Degrassi with my daughter. My guy and I talk about how the charaters have changed and grown up.

I've gotten that line too but at least there I can go into my lecture on how epilepsy is controlled & not cured.

The line that really bothered me was when someone told me that if I focused & really didn't want it, then I wouldn't have it (of course it was all in my head!)

The line that really bothered me was when someone told me that if I focused & really didn't want it, then I wouldn't have it (of course it was all in my head!)

That seems to be a favourite line no matter what your illness is. When partner was initially diagnosed with depression, then bipolar II, his sister-in-law said the same things to him. He's also been told that about his back injury -- like it will magically diappear if he wishes it.

Stoopid peeple.

Back
Top Bottom