Reversal of epilepsy

Are you in favor of replacing brain cells with nonembryonic cells?

• Yes

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Maybe- depending upon their progress

Votes: 31 58.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alivenwell

Veteran
Reaction score
Recently in the news, they discovered a way to generate practically any type of cell from a totally different cell without performing anything on an embryo. They discovered how to generate pancreatic cells into a rarer form that generates insulin.

If they could regenerate brain cells from non-embryonic cells, would you consider this technique to replace damaged
brain cells?

Caution, there may be some flashing in the link below:

Please read the link:
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20080831/MED.Cell.Identity.Switch/

Last edited:
Well, it's been proven that the brain grows new neuronal pathways (connections between neurons) in response to neurofeedback - rewiring itself so to speak, so I'm not sure that replacing damaged neurons is entirely necessary for most people (ie. the brain can retrain itself to work around damaged tissue).

That would be great if the treatment was open to anyone that needed the treatment. I wonder it is open for patients yet and what the price is going to be. Do you know if it is expensive?

Hmmm... Could use a new brain. The old one stopped working quite a while ago.:ponder:

At this point, it's only a technique potentially available for people with diabetes who need insulin from their pancreas. It works on rats.

I thought I'd pose the question if they find a technique to also come up with a new and creative way of replacing damaged brain tissue with new tissue. There is a technique (probably what Bernard suggested) called plasticity that creates new pathways. It's my understanding that constant mental challenges such as puzzles, reading... and good nutrition are all important for plasticity.

Changing Our Brains.....

In a book I've read by Norman Doidge, M.D., "The Brain That Changes Itself", he talks about brain plasticity (neuroplasticity) and how one can change their brain. :brain:

"The result of this book............
we see a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole, a woman labeled retarded who cured her deficits with brain exercises & now cures those of others, blind people learning to see, learning disorders cured, IQs raised, aging brains rejuvenated, painful phantom limbs erased, stroke patients recovering their faculties, children with cerebral palsy learning to move more gracefully, entrenched depression & anxiety disappearing, & lifelong character traits altered."

One can do this by brain exercising ( reading, learning, puzzles, exercising, etc.) and brain imaging. It isn't hocus pocus.

Cindy

Hmmm... Could use a new brain. The old one stopped working quite a while ago.:ponder:

Mine went up on eBay and it keeps getting relisted
and every time I put a bid on it I keep getting outbid!
I quit a long time ago!

:mad:

:roflmao:

Mine's

up there too, and no one's taking it...........BUT, I DO understand what the book's talking about..... I do know a few people like that. And it's really neat to watch, and see. I can't explain it and do it justice properly. Except to say that it's REALLY COOL.:woot:

In a book I've read by Norman Doidge, M.D., "The Brain That Changes Itself", he talks about brain plasticity (neuroplasticity) and how one can change their brain. :brain:

Cindy

We are doing this via Neurofeedback.

Speaking of

neurofeedback, I LITERALLY just found out yesterday that there is someone 3.5 miles from my HOUSE that does biofeedback/neurofeedback. OMW, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? And of all people, it was my PRIMARY CARE doc who told me!:roflmao::woot:

So ... do you have an appointment for a consultation?

Ummmm,

not yet....there are some other things to work out. I will send you a PM explaining.

Mr B, you make me laugh!:roflmao: I just thought it was really odd that my NEURO didn't know.....

I don't think epilepsy can be reversed. I had epilepsy all my life. I have had two surgeries for mine. I might a possible third surgery for mine.

I voted YES with a caveat

I agree with this path in the future "When necessary due to no other options and when it has been well tested"

I predicted several years ago that without public money, they would find a way to use non-emryonic cells and there is more and more success in this field. As we all know, research follows the money.

Still a long way to go.

Prognosis in epilepsy is the prospect of attaining seizure
freedom once epilepsy has been established. Seventy
to eighty percent of people in whom epilepsy
develops will remit, whereas those remaining continue to
have seizures despite optimal treatment. Remission usually
occurs within the first 5 years. Thus, for the majority
of people, epilepsy is a short-lived condition (1,2). Several
aspects of the prognosis, however, must be considered,
particularly the risk of seizure recurrence after a
first seizure, the natural history, and the influence of
aetiology and treatment on outcome.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1528-1157.44.s.1.1.x/pdf

On average, 40–50% of individuals on treatment and in remission of epilepsy will have further seizures on the withdrawal of treatment, indicating that such populations do have a significant continuing predisposition to seizures. The MRC Antiepileptic Drug Withdrawal Study (1991) is the first and largest randomized study to compare the policies of continued treatment with a slow, phased withdrawal of antiepileptic drugs in such populations. Eighty per cent of patients recruited to this study were taking a single antiepileptic drug at randomization, and most were taking low doses and had plasma levels below the usual optimal range on admission to the trial. In spite of this the results clearly demonstrated that even low doses of antiepileptic drugs are the most important single factor affecting the risk of further seizures.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/122/3/441.full

SEIZURE REMISSION IN ADULTS WITH INTRACTABLE EPILEPSY: NOT JUST
A PIPE DREAM

Prognosis and Outcome Predictors in Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures

I think it could be a good thing, maybe? I think it depends on the type of seizures you have, how old you are, this is interesting endless.

I think it will never happen,why would they cure something when they can put someone on meds for the rest of their lifes and get money for it monthly!?!?!?

I read the article but 6 months is regression. That would mean to me 6 months with little or no stress. I went one year after brain surgery. Then aslkdjfdslkfj and that was it. Then I got on vimpat and kdjfklfjjsdlkj one year again. That's of grand mals thats it.

Back
Top Bottom