Strange side effect

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seagull

Veteran
Reaction score
I was on 250 Lamotrogine twice daily then few months back I dropped by 100mg my idea no medical supervision .I finally see nuro last week who tells me I gone about wrongly should evened up taking 50mg off both but as I already started carry on will do eeg see you at end of year and contact you before if eeg showed anything drastic.
Now question is I started these weird shakes losing balance no dizziness rather than hands trembling more like no control it nothing like meniors disease I already have that.I even fell off toilet I have no control and after reading what others have said about Lamotrigine I wondering if cutting lamtogine is the cause.i taken to my bed for last few days incase it happens on the stairs.I don't feel ill but rather disconcerting .i not sure if it case of not getting off my sorry Arse and do something.I gone into the don't give a toss not had shower for over week and I feel cold.My daughter home tomorrow for few days which I love but deep I hope she not be in my ear all weekend.i got no depression and no warning it happening that what scary.Is possible it coming off Lamotrogine doing this I can go back to higher dose if I want.i also taking tramadol which to my shame I somewhat abuse them and taking 20mgs of cloberzam again not the prescribed dose which was 10mgs a day during day I don't take it unless I have auro and time on my side I take it if have head ache which usually e related.Do anybody tell me why is this cutting down on lamotrgine they way I did caused problems.
Although I want up my dose agin it not like drug addict

Probably just withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps as your doctor said you should have taken 50 mg off of each dose (ie the AM and PM) doses rather than 100 mg off one. Taking that much less all in one shot is a lot to expect your body to handle, esp. when you consider how slow the titration onto lamotrogine is (often around 25 mg more every 2 weeks). Typically titrating off of a medication is at least as slow as titrating onto it, if not even slower.

If I reinduce my lamical back again am I doing harm up down up down.can the body cope with that

With the "playing around" of medications you reported in your other post, I would say yes this would be unsafe. You need to be more careful, and research things on reliable sites on the internet to get a general idea of how all these medications work. Then, armed with this knowledge go to your neurologist or at the very least your family doctor (who typically know very little about seizures and seizure medications). He/she will at least be able to send you to someone else who can guide you. Going to emergency if there is a neurologist on call is another option.

What is titration.I not a clue how Lamotrogine works as it was working I not looked it up and doubt I would understood..My GP my left boot knows more than him.

What is titration.I not a clue how Lamotrogine works as it was working I not looked it up and doubt I would understood..My GP my left boot knows more than him.

The short answer is:
In a broad sense, titration is a technique to determine the concentration of an unknown solution.
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Analytical_Chemistry/Quantitative_Analysis/Titration

Basically when referring to your medication it's finding the dose that is right for you.

Back
Top Bottom