What diets have you tried (>1 month) for seizure control?

What diets have you tried (for at least a month) in hopes of better seizure control?

• Ketogenic diet

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Modified Atkins diet

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • G.A.R.D. diet

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Low Glycemic diet

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • None

Votes: 41 53.9%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've been GFCF, and then just Gluten-Free with no change in seizure frequency. :paperbag: I also eliminated aspertame (spelling?), caffeine, and have taken multivitamins. I believe diet can make a difference in seizure activity but have not had anything work for me yet. :e: -Julie
(Of course, I don't know exactly what I'm doing...I could inadvertantly be ingesting things I'm trying to avoid).

"-Julie
(Of course, I don't know exactly what I'm doing...I could inadvertantly be ingesting things I'm trying to avoid"

same here... my seizures are just sps I haven't had a cps that ive been aware of for a while ;)

Im trying the M atkins diet but ive had a little trouble with the fake sugar, diet soft drinks...... yuck! and a lot of meat and eggs which is not really my thing...

"-Julie
(Of course, I don't know exactly what I'm doing...I could inadvertantly be ingesting things I'm trying to avoid"

same here... my seizures are just sps I haven't had a cps that ive been aware of for a while ;)

Im trying the M atkins diet but ive had a little trouble with the fake sugar, diet soft drinks...... yuck! and a lot of meat and eggs which is not really my thing...

Lorrie,

I totally understand...I'm not much for meat and eggs myself! Almost all of these diets require a lot of research, and like Robin said, asking questions is key. It is so easy to "slip-up." Even when I'm trying hard to stick to a certain diet, I make mistakes (companies are good at "hiding" ingredients) :agree:

I've never tried the atkin's diet. Good luck to you though...keep us posted if you see results! :e:

All the best my friend! -Julie

Last edited:
Did you give up sweets including aspartame when you gave up sugar? Because it really help me giving up aspartame with my seizures? Good luck to you.

Did you give up sweets including aspartame when you gave up sugar? Because it really help me giving up aspartame with my seizures? Good luck to you.
I've heard that aspartame is 100 times sweeter than normal sugar. I do drink a diet coke occasionally, but I'm going to cut down on it again. Caffeine withdrawal gives me a nasty headache.

Diets I have tried for months

I have gotten off of aspartame and it has really helped me because aspartame was causing promblems with my seizures and so was splenda

I've heard that aspartame is 100 times sweeter than normal sugar. I do drink a diet coke occasionally, but I'm going to cut down on it again. Caffeine withdrawal gives me a nasty headache.

Crystal Lite gave me headaches, and aspartame gave my seizures a bad time as soon as I got off of it they were much better. Stevia is a better Sweetner and it is a natural Herb Grown in South America as well. It never gives me promblems

I tried the weight watchers diet. :ponder:

Did you try that for seizure control, or just to get control over your eating habits.
I too have done the WW diet, but it can't be considered 100% nutritionally sound. There are a LOT of processed foods that are acceptable on this plan. Not necessarily a plan that is best for raising your seizure threshold IMO.

WW can be combined with some of the other suggested plans, but you would need to not rely on packaged products and focus on complex carbs, and toxic free proteins.

IMO

Back
Top Bottom