What factors help you with seizure control?

What factors have helped you attain (at least some) seizure control?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I know these things help keep my seizures under control:
  • Regular and ample sleep hours and naps when I need them
  • Eat on time
  • Take my medication exactly on time
  • Reduce stress
  • No alcohol

Who knows if the following helps because they don't seem to make a difference in my seizure frequency, but they are good & very healthy things to do so they can't hurt:
  • Take B, D, multiple vitamins, plus 5-HTP and magnesium
  • Eat a healthy organic vegan diet without additives and chemicals
  • Exercise my body a little every day, even if I'm dead tired and it's just a walk around the block
  • Exercise my mind a little every day, even if it's just a video game online because I can't remember where I am in my book and what it's about anyway

I can't do 5-htp. It makes me very cranky, and it started to give me messed up skin on my back. I looked it up, and one of the possible side effects is sclerederma.
I drink lots and lots of water. Minimum of 64 ounces.

I did not notice 5-HTP. I should have read more carefully. I have never heard of it.

Shelley, are you still having problems with your skin from it?

I have to relax and avoid stress or I have seizures.

I did not notice 5-HTP. I should have read more carefully. I have never heard of it.

Shelley, are you still having problems with your skin from it?

I have to relax and avoid stress or I have seizures.

No, I quit taking it. My skin cleared up.
And, of course, avoiding stress at work when there are ding-a-lings who enjoy being stressors is tough.
I come home and exercise to relieve tenseness and stress.
I try to get restful sleep during my 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
I also drink lots of water.

It sounds like you have a good plan to relax. That is great!!

Yeah, but the ding-a-lings are (for whatever stupid, selfish reason) are stepping up their attacks. Unfortunately, the boss is one of the ding-a-lings.
Shelley

I am sick of drugs. I go into the Dr. on Tuesday. He wants to put men on Banzel. lol That's a joke. I am not take that drug.

I've been

doing the meds, diet and sleep. I also work to de-stress as much as possible--though that has been a rough process as of late. But I'm getting there. :)

prevention

one seizure med., diet, exercise, trying to contain the boogie man called depression that likes to force it's way into my brain and drops me into a dark hole. Also, being with family, friends, as I have a tendency to be reclusive. :bigsmile:

fatty foods, keep my blood sugar up.
certain things have homes like my glasses and my phone so i dont stress out look for them in the morning.

Last edited:
Lyrica has been helping to greatly reduce the numbers of seizures I've been having but it doesn't always help. I try to limit the movement of my neck as well.Really nothing is keeping them away. The only final solution would be surgery. But my doctors might not even want to. With my experience, they just want me to live with it.

the meds most of us are on make us lose weight. the unfortunate part is that I am used to living like an athlete. I eat like it, I own bicycle(s) (would own another if i could), workout. competed. I realized a while back, my lifestyle was of part of what caused my seizures and my psychotic breaks (all ways fun!)
I can't carb load, had to change my diet, still not used to eating a lot of sweets and fatty foods. I would love to be off the meds, I miss weighing 170-200 pounds of muscle.

ramble ramble rant rant rant......... comfort foods oddly enough help lower the the odds of me having a seizure, could be the placebo effect, could be the fat and grease, who knows. just being happy helps not stressing helps of course. Staying off my bicycle statistically lowers the odds, but the bus system here sucks, and well, not like I can drive.

i quit frying a lot of things. I spend way to long prepping and baking chicken, but a nice club heavy sandwich makes me happy and in some case will put me to sleep

Well,im on Tegratol and Epilim,and i tell you Epilim certainly isnt helping me lose weight.Came off the scales at the docs,then got my blood pressure,it was through the roof!!! i blame the shock of the weight,thirteen and a half stone,should be for my height eleven stone!!! bloody epilim.Oh i almost forgot for me to stay seizure free it seems to come down to stress,always stress,have to try and stay stress freeish,which is no easy feat in this crazy world!!!

Last edited:
I've found that taurine increases the effectiveness of AEDs severalfold for me. Alone it does nothing, but when I'm on my meds, then it works like a charm. Doctors can't explain it, but they can measure it so my neurologist simply says "Carry on". I found it by accident after consuming a Red Bull energy drink one day at work when I was short on sleep and had that strange "risk aura" feeling I get a couple of hours before partials start to manifest.

Jay

Recently, I had seizures and even had the signs of a stroke. It turned out that I was on too much medicine.

They cut me back on my medications, in the hospital. I feel a whole lot better and I am more awake and alert.

Neil, you described the signs of too much sodium. Look at the labels of food products. Too much sodium will add weight and make your blood pressure go sky high. I am no longer allowed to eat any food product that has more that 150 mg of sodium per serving.

I have found that some food products have sea salt in them. That is way to high in sodium. Avoid those foods. Read your labels.

Back
Top Bottom