What medicines do you take?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fscene8

Reaction score
What medicines do you take? Do you take some extra vitamins/minerals besides medicines too?
Have you had any side effects while taking medicines? What were the side effects? How did you get rid of them (if you did) ?

I've taken Depakine, Lamictal and Topamax (so far).
Thanks to depakine, I gained 15kg. Lamictal was pretty weak for stopping seizures. Topamax ruined my memory completely.
I'm on Lamictal now (125mg) and memory is still bad :(

Currently tegretol keppra and clonazepam and only side affect notice is tiredness
Have tried a few others previous to this
Aswell which didn't work xx

Leanne xx
Always remember you are someone's reason to smile!! šŸ˜Š

I'm currently on Tegretol 200mg (AM/PM) & Keppra 1000mg (AM/PM).
I only remember having noticeable side effects from 2 meds Topamax & Neurontin.

Topamax gave me no appetite & I lost a bit of weight while on it. I was unhealthy a lit bit overweight before I was put on the Topamax so wasn't concerned about losing the weight. I ended up changing my diet a little bit while on the Topamax & cut out a lot of crap food.

Neurontin gave me the worse side effects. While on the Neurontin I was really tired having to have an afternoon nap most days, it affected my moods - I would snap at a person or burst into tears at the drop of I pin. While I was on the Neurontin was also on the Tegretol & Keppra (high doses of all meds) so my memory was pretty crap.

Im currently taking Keppra XR, 3000mgs a day (1500mgs twice a day). I also take melatonin at night, and a complex b vitamin in the morning.

I am taking Dilantin, Clonazepam, L-Lysine, Fiber Blend, COMPOUNDED Vit. B6, B12, Folic acid, Vit. D, Calcium, and Prozac.

My oldest son takes 500 mg Depakote 2X per day, and has had no reactions or seizures since he started taking it.

My youngest son hasn't been so lucky.

He was on Topamax and Lamictal and was seizure free for 3 years. He lost his appetite from the Topamax. He started having seizures because he grew and his metabolism changed how his body was using the meds.

He's now on:

Keppra - 2000 mgs per day
Lamictal - 75 mgs per day
Vimpat - 600 mgs per day
Depakote - 1000 mgs per day

No side effects from this does of his meds - his liver enzymes back to normal with the lower dose of Lamictal.

He did have a Vitamin D deficiency and is taking a supplement.

tegretol 600mg pm 200mg am

pregabalin 200mg pm 125mg am 125mg noon

clonazepam 0.25 noon

tired, mood changes, anxiety, forgetfulness

Last edited:
I'm on Lamotrigine 150mgs and Carbamazepine 300mgs both morning and night. Instead of the "May cause drowsiness" precautions on both, they should just say, "Will cause drowsiness." And everyday multi vitamins.

I had a horrid time with Keppra, I lost a bunch of hair, I already have a bald spot on the right side of my head from before birth to deal with and hated losing more. My worst was with Dilantin, I woke up in a full body rash after the first day on it.

Last edited:
I'm diagnosed as generalized epilepsy with petit mals, MDD/anxiety, migraines and possible Bipolar Disorder I or II.

I take:
Keppra XR 500mg
Trazodone 50-100mg
Citalopram 20mg
Nuvaring
Amerge
Magnesium
Multivitamin
Flaxseed oil

The only side effect I have is uncontrollable anger on Keppra, but the Citalopram takes care of that 100%. The magnesium works wonders for migraines.

I'm on Lamotrigine 50mg (25mg am and 25mg pm) after being bumped back down from 75mg as it sent my body into meltdown. I take other meds such as Beta Blockers and Ace Inhibitors so I think it must of reacted with them.

I take:

Divalproex SOD ER 500mg TAMYL (Depakote)
Carbamazepine XR 400mg Tabtar (Tegretol)
Levetriacetam 750mg TABLETMYL (Keppra)
Lamotrigine 150mg Tablet MYL (Lamictal)
Lamotrigine 25mg Tablet (Lamictal)
Folic Acid 1mg Tablet WAT
Multivitamin
I also have a VNS

Really the only side effects right now that I'm having are being tired and Keprage (very easely getting angry) from the Kepra

I've taken I don't know how many other meds through the years that I don't even remember them. Most of them I stopped taking because of the side effects. I don't know what meds these were but these are some of the side effects that I'd have from them:

Being very tired, so bad that I didn't even get out of bed most of the days
No appetite, I didn't eat anything and lost a ton of weight
A very big appetite, I ate anything I saw. I would wait till my husband went to bed then eat 1/2 a gallon of ice cream. I don't know how much weight I gained.
With one I had problems with my vision. Things got blury alot.
One caused me to have more seizures rather than less

There may have been other problems but as I said my memory is awful so I don't remember them.

Generic Lamictal, 150 mg a day.

They tried to add topamax because of headaches. I had quite a few side effects and stopped it after a few months.

Back
Top Bottom