What is the weirdest feeling you've experienced while having a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ophelina

New
Reaction score
Hi all!

I had a simple partial seizure today and for who-knows-what-reasons I've decided to write down how I felt during it. It was really a strange feeling seeing it all written down, but it made me ask myself what do others experience during partial seizures.

For me, the weirdest thing is feeling like I am surrounded by something really big. I can't really explain this feeling, but the best way to describe it is feeling like a really thin needle in a huge haystack.

Feel free to share whatever you want - feelings, smells, thoughts: I'm interested in any of it.

Thanks!

I feel intense fear during a simple partial or complex partial. There have been a few times that I felt a euphoria during a complex partial. The euphoria was so intense and powerful--actually too powerful to handle. People talking, TV, or music is distorted. I can't understand what people are saying. My thoughts seem so distant that I can not understand them. If I try to understand my thoughts, the intense fear becomes more powerful and the intense fear is very painful. It's like a physical pain. It causes me to moan which is embarrassing of course.

Last edited:
Music36

Thanks for sharing! There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Stay well :e:

Total fear panic.when I had euphoria it so intense I flip into panic it like knife edge between the two. Or I feel I not me that also flip to panic.
the other day first time I was aware it happening like my foot was in sz I was unable to move then I was out.Again I panic not sure if due to e or genuinely panic because I knew I seconds away from it.Sort of how you felt but these mainly aura. No two people identical.I have wondered before now if personality could have effect to how aura would be E.g a piolet would they take it differently obviously retired one those people cool dudes.If edgy person like me is panic aura worse .
good idea writing it down if memory serves I think I was given big wad diary to give doc

Seagull, thank you for the share, too.
That's sounds awful. I also experience fear, like both of you. However I don't think that my fear is due to the seizure, but due to the fact that I start thinking that the seizure will become a tonic-clonic one.

My Simple Partials are a little hard to describe. I feel them start in the lower right side in the back of my head. I get a very strange feeling that begins there, & seems to spread up, to the front. They usually last 5 minutes at most.
For me, the Complex Partial seizures that I get are more troublesome. I have no auras, & unless someone witnesses it or I do something to myself, I don't even know if one has occurred.

Thank you Ophelina. I realize that I should not be embarrassed by what happens during a seizure but I used to feel that way sometimes.

Thanks to surgery last June, my seizures have been greatly reduced. I have had one complex partial since the surgery. It occurred nine months after the surgery and I was devastated for a couple of days. But, then I decided not to dwell on it and just move on. Before surgery, I wouldn't go more than a couple of weeks without having a complex partial. I still have auras, but not as many or as often as I did before surgery.

Last edited:
Whoa! I gotta good one for you:

I had a full blown grand mal once on Halloween night. I remember watching Ghostbusters on TV and sitting up in bed. OK, you know the drill...all of a sudden for me, "Lights Out"! I wake up seeing my wife crying and EMS guys over me. So now, I totally have no idea what's happened. They wheel me outside where I see Dracula, Frankensien, and all kinds of scary Halloweeners trick-or-treating...but I didn't know that! I just saw all these scary people walking around! And to kick the evening off, the EMS newbie gives me that heart pill that goes under your tongue. When I got to the hospital, my BP was a low 90 over 50. I had a whole bunch of doctors trying to get my BP up. I spent about 5 days in the hospital.

"Now THAT was a crazy night"!

Last edited:
Deja Vu is probably the main one during a TC. It is the strangest feeling and I've always been able to remember them, which is uncommon, and it has set off my anxiety because I seem to constantly question the "reality" of everything.

The past couple of SP's have been weird though. It's hard to explain, and part of me thought it may have been Jamais Vu, but I'm not sure. It's like, the last one I was in the car with my boyfriend and even though I was looking at him and knew who he was, I also didn't feel any sort of connection to him, it was as if he was a stranger, but it felt more emotional rather than physical. Like I didn't care for/love him? It was so odd and creeps me out to this day.

weirdest feeling is when I'm semi conscious during a focal sz and I know what's going on round me but I can't say anything or do anything with out being part of the seizure.

Last edited:
Hearing the devil SCREAMING at me, telling me I'm gonna die and people's voices are getting louder and louder.............then I'm out........full blown TC seizure.

Another time, I had only a CP but saw my arm floating in the air...... thought it was something from outer space!

Too many other weird experiences to mention and cannot remember them all. But that is what E does to some of us, alters our thinking, minds and memories.

Last edited:
There are experiences I have had that may be a seizure. I'm not sure. One experience that has happened a number of times is that I'll walk into a store that I go to every week to grocery shop and I'll feel disoriented and things will seem unreal sort of. Another experience I've had a number of times is all of a sudden getting ringing in the ears and feeling like I can't hear or sounds around me are muffled. Do these experiences sound like seizures? If so, how would they be categorized?

I'll walk into a store that I go to every week to grocery shop and I'll feel disoriented and things will seem unreal sort of. Another experience I've had a number of times is all of a sudden getting ringing in the ears and feeling like I can't hear or sounds around me are muffled. Do these experiences sound like seizures? If so, how would they be categorized?

These sound like SP seizures to me, effecting one's senses:

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures
Sensory seizures:
These cause changes in any one of the senses.
People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness.

Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space.

They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.

I don't feel any strange effects from my typical seizures. My head shakes for a second at most, and I hear a rumbling noise. However, I had some strange effects after I had my last tonic-clonic seizure in July of last year. When I finally woke up (1.5 days later on the floor of my apartment) I was having severe visual and auditory hallucinations and my entire body was weak. I was so weak that I couldn't get up off the floor. It took all my effort just to roll over onto my back. Fortunately I haven't had a tonic-clonic seizure since.

Another time, I had only a CP but saw my arm floating in the air...... thought it was something from outer space!

My first ever seizure, which eventually generalized into a tonic clonic, started out that way. I had just opened the refrigerator door but my arm just kept going back and up and seemed to twist up behind me. Then my vision went dark around the edges and what was left was like looking through one of those security peepholes in doors: everything looked smaller and more distant than it was. I don't remember anything after that until I was being put in the ambulance.

Later I had what I guess were simple partials that also started with my arm twisting up and back, but they didn't generalize into T/C's so I was nice and lucid for the rest. After the arm, my head twisted back, my leg drew up and I ended up on the ground twisted up like a pretzel. I felt like I had been wrestled to the ground by a ghost.

After my brain healed from the first tumor surgery, those went away and I didn't have anymore for several years. A couple of years ago, my tumor grew back, but this time it was closer to the sensory cortex so my seizures were more like very strange sensations. They were mostly in my leg, but went up to my arm a bit too. Anyway, my leg felt like I had a Jacuzzi inside it running full blast. That might sound pleasant, but believe me. it wasn't. :eek: Then, just before it would end, my leg felt like it deflated and curled up. It was like when the Wicked Witch of the East has the Ruby Slippers taken off her feet and her feet and legs roll up. Creeeepy. :razz2::eek::lol: But I guess I'm pretty lucky considering the experiences some of you have had.

Last edited:
Recently, I have sometimes started seeing flashes of light in my left eye. The scar tissue that is the cause of my Simple Partial is in an area that affects the peripheral vision of my left eye, so I wonder if it is related.

Most recently my simple partials have been tingling in my right foot, sometimes followed by a non-specific weird feeling.

The strangest feeling I remember is from before I was diagnosed, before I started having complex partials, but I am convinced it was a form of simple partials. I was in college, and the happiest I had been in a long time. I would have this weird hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach that was emotional in nature. It reminded me of how I felt in high school when my family moved across the state and I was very unhappy. I didn't know it at the time, but after diagnosis, I felt sure it was a simple parital.

The weirdest feeling I ever had was hearing the same word repeated over and over again while at the same time seeing the colors of the rainbow flash back and forth from one eye to another and after that stopped I was sitting in my living room but it didn't look familiar to me and things in the living room seemed far away from me when they were very close. Have a Good day and May God Bless You!

Sue

Probably the only feeling that I remember is sort of a dizzy / spatial disorientation (floating) feeling. I had to put my hand on the wall, focus briefly (however long briefly ended up being) and then it passed. I have no recollection of all my other partials from years, but my memory is really kind of screwed for many things ("lost" my car a few weeks ago).

When I have a bad partial, I just usually feel really sick and need to have a B.M.
That is very unpleasant. Last week I had a partial after being really angry and I got a very hot feeling and wasn't able to even think to use my VNS magnet.

Back
Top Bottom