• 4-6 months

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • 7-12 months

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Over 1 year

Votes: 86 54.8%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yes its not a bad idea that many thanks for that it hadn't crossed my mind to approach it that way thanks again

I was free for 7 years after I had surgery. The was from 1990-1997. Since then, I was off and on for some time, well enough to drive, but now, I am good if I go a week.

Yikes, has your neurologist or MD suggested any meds, or do you prefer to go without them, as one of my daughters sisters in law does?

lavatera

Yes I've been told to come off the tegratol 100mg per week and replace it with 25mg lamotragene

I am wondering if you are being told to cut back too much too soon. Perhaps your neurologist or MD when informed will suggest you cut back much slower, as it is not good to have too many seizures. You would think that would tell them that it is not working for you to cut back so quickly. Sometimes pharmacists are also helpful up to a point, at least in Canada. Perhaps a pharmacist is the way to go at least until Monday.

My neurologist wanted me to go off one of my meds and up the med I was having trouble getting, which made no sense to me at all, and he even boasted about having his patients weaned off them faster than most neurologists or at least the makers of the meds suggest as being weaned off of epilepsy meds too quickly can also cause seizures. He did not seem to have a problem with me having some seizures. I wonder what he would do if it was himself. Have you phoned the epilepsy office where you live? For me it is epilepsy.ca, but if you live in the USA, I am sure there is one there as well. They were extremely helpful, more than my neurologist was.

lavatera

At the moment I am only suffering myclonics which I can handle but believe me if it goes up to tonics then believe me ill be the first one at the doctors moaning

a month tops and if you include absence seizures then maybe never at all.now that i think about that it really sucks oh well part of life i guess

Still seizure free since surgery in 2005. I highly recommend anyone who still has szs on meds to find out if surgery is an option.

I'm over 20 years seizure free, but only because I'm on the meds. Before that I had massive thrashing fits (probably about three a year) which laid me out for days. If I was to come off medication completely, I reckon it would be a couple of weeks, tops, before I had another one. Just got to deal with the side effects my current Lamotrigine is causing - but I'd rather experience the mental slowness than be having fits again.

wots it matter if its two minutes or 200 years im sure its not long enough for any of us lol

My first surgery was something that was needed and it gave me much hope of being seizure free for five years. Even though the seizures broke through we were at least able to control them. I had the VNS installed in 2007 it worked just fine with the settings however the item did not provide enough settings. Since it only works with medication, my neurological team discovered the DBS and how it can work on a higher number of voltage and settings without the need of medication so we began testing for that procedure. In 2011, after a long process of discussion the laser surgery took place and I was out of the hospital 10 days later because I had my VNS battery updated.

The greatest thing about this particular item being installed is I am having more positive signs from it. My medication is being removed slowly and I am seeing new results from how the seizures are decreasing at a higher rate than they ever had prior when I was using just the VNS.

41 years seizure free. been on meds the entire time. started out on tegretol and mysoline. Switched 3 yrs from tegretol to topomax and then from topomax to keppra and mysoline. Topomax - had too many of the side effects. Do not have them on keppra.

Lol@ siez. My husband swears he has had 3 wives. One on tegretol, different one on the topomax and now a third on the keppra. He's not far from being wrong. All med's did affect me differently. I have petit mal epilepsy which is why my med's control seizure activity - I am blessed and very thankful. But with the side effects it sometimes is a struggle - however, I have worked since I was 15 until last year when the company closed it's doors. Now looking for work and going to school also.

41 years seizure free. been on meds the entire time. started out on tegretol and mysoline. Switched 3 yrs from tegretol to topomax and then from topomax to keppra and mysoline. Topomax - had too many of the side effects. Do not have them on keppra.

Wow, that is fabulous to be seizure free for that long. I've never heard of the drug mysoline, is that an older AED?

Last edited:
Yes it is - I went on mysoline in 1970. The drawback is it is additive - I can't go without it. So I take 1 a day. makes you drowsy so I take it at night.

Back
Top Bottom