Where I'm at

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been in law enforcement or pupils safety since 1981. I was diagnosed with epelipsy in December. Last Friday my neurologist told me that the epelipsy is the result of traumatic brain injury I sustained in 2006 resulting from an assault at work.

I still work for the same agency and called about workers compensation. I was told that the case had been closed in 2009 and they were not going to reopen it.

So, I'm filing for state short term disability, social security disability, SSI, and anything else I can think of. My wife had a brain tumor removed several years ago but doesn't qualify for disability because of her work history.

I'm in a state that won't let you drive until a year of being seizure free. Law enforcement/corrections is not forgiving of epelipsy (unless it's very well controlled) or not being able to drive. I'm 60..she's 63. That's not a good age to look at a career change. Plus, as near as I can tell, I'm still averaging a couple of seizures a week.

We're between the proverbial rock and the hard place. Any words of wisdom are welcome.

BTW. I'm on a tablet and sometimes my cognition isn't what it used to be. Forgive the misplacing and drift.

I still work for the same agency and called about workers compensation. I was told that the case had been closed in 2009 and they were not going to reopen it.
Any chance you can appeal? Worth pushing on this point, especially if the neurologist will back you up.
So, I'm filing for state short term disability, social security disability, SSI, and anything else I can think of.
You're doing all the right things. Sometimes they reject the application the first time and make you re-apply. Hang in there and don't get discouraged.

I'm in a state that won't let you drive until a year of being seizure free. Law enforcement/corrections is not forgiving of epelipsy (unless it's very well controlled) or not being able to drive.
Are there any options for public transportation? Are you part of a union? Can they advocate for you and help you find appropriate work?

Below are some links/threads that you might find helpful:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/filing-disability-13016/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/anyone-job-disability-12959/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/ssi-vs-ssdi-12735/
http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/

I've made a medical motion to the North Carolina Industrial Commission to have the case reopened. No unions. It's a southern state afterall. The neurologist is convinced that it all relates back to that event. My wife can drive so we have a way to get groceries, Dr. appointments etc. She's been seizure free for about six years. The place I work at is resistive to accomadstion. I can't disagree. I have no reliable way to work and public safety is what we do. I faked it for a few years, but it was more dangerous than my driving.

I'm not discouraged, but I do see a really good chance of events overwhelming the antidepressants. I am not a quitter. I'll look at the links.

I have been in law enforcement or pupils safety since 1981. I was diagnosed with epelipsy in December. Last Friday my neurologist told me that the epelipsy is the result of traumatic brain injury I sustained in 2006 resulting from an assault at work.

So, I'm filing for state short term disability, social security disability, SSI, and anything else I can think of. My wife had a brain tumor removed several years ago but doesn't qualify for disability because of her work history.

I'm in a state that won't let you drive until a year of being seizure free. Law enforcement/corrections is not forgiving of epelipsy (unless it's very well controlled) or not being able to drive. I'm 60..she's 63. That's not a good age to look at a career change. Plus, as near as I can tell, I'm still averaging a couple of seizures a week.

We're between the proverbial rock and the hard place. Any words of wisdom are welcome.

I too am a LEO and agencies are initially supportive and accommodating but that does not last very long; time is money.
I'm at a loss of what to do, prayers to you, for us, and to those counting on us.

You should be able to get Social Security Disability. I started having seizures after a closed head injury and could not work. My neurologist helped me and I had no problem getting it.

Back
Top Bottom