Are you photosensitive?

Do flashing lights/colors bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 130 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 75 36.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well I herd you could buy the glasses at The University of Washington. But I have not purchased any yet. My son and I are both def. yes.

Andrew, I was wondering about vitamins. I would like to know what vitamins help the brain. I dont take any vitamins but a friend belives that all this trigger stuff is related to low vitamins in the system. I don't take even a multivitamin.

Chris

Andrew, I was wondering about vitamins. I would like to know what vitamins help the brain. I dont take any vitamins but a friend belives that all this trigger stuff is related to low vitamins in the system. I don't take even a multivitamin.

Actually the scientific proof that vitamines do anything for the brain is weak at best, At worst vitamines can have harmful effects most people aren't aware of.
One, I am skeptical of the effectiveness of nutritional supplements. When I was bike racing in the 1980s, I went through a period of megadosing vitamins and minerals that produced brightly colored urine but no noticeable performance difference. The testimonials behind such nutritional claims are powerful, but the science is weak

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=hope-springs-eternal

Popping vitamins could seriously damage health

Last edited:
i voted yes because i have had a few sezures when playing games! and strobe lights really bother me.. havent made me have sezure but give me such a confused state! so annoying as i love concerts, being on the computer for a long time makes me sore head and confused

and strobe lights really bother me.. havent made me have sezure but give me such a confused state!

Aye this! its one of the worst side effects for me. when i went for one of the tests at the hospital the nurse put a strobe light right in front of my eyes. she was asking me to have my eyes open and then closed while she changed the speeds of the strobe.
i couldnt handle it, went into pure panic and i had to ask her to switch it off.

interestingly though she said she had been doing that job for a lot of years and that no one had ever had a seizure during this.

I am very photosensitive. I just got new glasses with a little tint in it. I hate lights. I prefer to work by a sunny window. I like the lights off most of the day and I hate going outside on very sunny days. Sometimes the brightness gives me migraines.

Aye this! its one of the worst side effects for me. when i went for one of the tests at the hospital the nurse put a strobe light right in front of my eyes. she was asking me to have my eyes open and then closed while she changed the speeds of the strobe.
i couldnt handle it, went into pure panic and i had to ask her to switch it off.

interestingly though she said she had been doing that job for a lot of years and that no one had ever had a seizure during this.

yes!! i couldnt do this part of the test neither i couldnt stand it... and it was only on for not even a min! so i made her stop too and ill never really know if im pthotosensitive

Im confused,i dont even remember getting that test but that doesnt mean it didnt happen,i can play the x box but not any Grand Theft Auto games because they set me of after half an hour of game time.I went to raves in the early 90s and was fine so i dont know what the hell i am? Come to think about it,things were so much easier when i was uneducated and just had e.

Last edited:
When I went to the Ophthalmologist he started shining lights into my eyes and I thought I was going to have a seizure. Whenever I go to have kinda surgery including dentist or root canal I have to wear sunglasses because the lights bother me.:e:

It was on the news today that the movie "Twilight Saga" causes seizures in people who have epilepsy and those who do not. It is because of the strobe lights. They are causing some people to faint, too.

That had to be bad. I couldn't believe that when I heard that on the news. The lights or sounds never used to bother me, but after the coma, the computer puts me into t/c
makes my son moody.lol Some stores. I went to try some clothes on in JC pennys or something like that I started to have a seizure, But I have Lorazepam If I can catch it in time. And the lady who was helping me was so great. I told her I was fine and she told the manager. She had other complaints. She was awsome and so respectful.I am going to bed. Good night sleep tight.

i notice now that more and more movies have longer lasting strobe lights in them :( no fair

i think i slightly have sezures sometimes with games but i think its more pattern doing it, i dont think im fully photosensitve just sometimes :/ alot of times my sezuires where for no reason!

Although I don't suffer with photo sensetive epilepsy I do sympathise with u all and I think its about time some nerd invented a screen filter to stop the affects

It was on the news today that the movie "Twilight Saga" causes seizures in people who have epilepsy and those who do not. It is because of the strobe lights. They are causing some people to faint, too.

When I went to see Breaking Dawn pt 1 of the Twilight Saga there were 2 ambulances in the foyer. The EMT's were attending to 2 different women who I am guessing either had a seizure, fainted or had a panic attack.

The birthing scene is where all the lights are flashing. It's not a strobe light but as fast as the light on the screen is switching from different angles and points of view it might as well be.

That had to be bad. I couldn't believe that when I heard that on the news. The lights or sounds never used to bother me, but after the coma, the computer puts me into t/c.

Hi Still dancing, The strobe lights do bother me. They put me into seizures, as well. I do not see the new movies because of their content, not because of the strobe lights.

I prefer the old black and white movies. I do not have to worry about strobe lights there.

How are you able to use your computer? I know I should not. :ponder:

florescent lighting bothers me, especially semi flashing ones that are near the end of their life span. It stops me going into shopping centres especially.
xx

Florescent lights bother me, the ones they use in the er rooms , i have to ask them to either shut the one off above my bed or give me face cloth so i can have it over etes to block out light ( cold one). The red fire truck and abulance lights really bother me. If i am awake in the ambalance, i tell them to please turn down the bright light as i am very sensitive and may make me go into another sezure. When i am on computer, i have to have a screen ( mine has a green tint to it), the color on the computer has to be down as low as it can go, i also need to take breaks from computer also. The little flash light the doctor uses to look at your eyes and mouth, that is way to bright for me.

I have asked to have the lights turned off on a police car due to the flashing and they looked at me like I was crazy as I explained. I was in the middle of no-where country. I don't think the officers in question had ever been asked that before.
I'm not officially photosensitive but I find that flashing lights or patterns make me feel woozey and kinda "inside my head"

Hi seizingbeauty,

None of us, at least I don't think so, are officially photosensitive. Correct me if I am wrong. I am forgetting more.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

When I have an EEG, they use flashing colored lights to see if a seizure comes on. That part of the EEG used to bother me a great deal. They do not use flashing lights on an EEG for me for several years now.

Has anyone else had the same flashing lights with their EEG?

Yep I've had them both for a straight EEG and a sleep deprevation test.
BTW has anyone else had the sleep deprevation test?

Back
Top Bottom