[GARD] The Veggie Drawer

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
It might be good for others but I need to do more personal research to know for sure.

This doesn't have a name. It really is to clean out your veggie drawer.

(thinking of a name... ?
The Veggie Drawer
Put Olive Oil in a large fry pan
Chop up onion and some garlic if you like.
Cook these until they become tender.
I take a few potatoes and chop them up, bite size.
Brown a bit over medium heat.
Add chopped carrots, broccoli, sugarsnap peas, red / green pepper, and any other veggies that you want.
Really clean out the veggie drawer with this dish.
Cook until tender

Options to add, would be:
hamburger meat
bacon
whipped egg drizzled over the potatoe
chicken pieces

Last edited:
I think it would fit within the specifications of the LGIT and MA diets if you excluded the potato.

I hate to be a dimwit here, but what can you eat on the GARD diet, is it like the Atkins diet? Can you eat rice?

Thanks Bernard and Robin, My son is 34 and is only just about to leave home and live alone. He had a seizure last week while at work and it is such a blow because he was ok for nearly a year, he never seems to get past that year. The diets you are talking about are so very interesting and I am going to try and persuade him to give them a go. I have never heard of diet being a possible factor in preventing seizures, but it makes sense. Robin I am sorry to hear of your daughters seizure, I know how difficult it is when you are not with them and how powerless you can feel.
Ann

Yes Ann, I had an instinct right after Rebecca's first seizure that it was nutritionally based. But the first neurologist said "not a chance". I didn't agree, but I let him lead me astray for a while. I came back to this idea, when time after time I would put into a google search certain word combinations, and I finding information on the subject. Then I came across Dogtor J's website:
http://www.dogtorj.net/
and he was kind enough to respond and have a bit of dialog on the subject. It spoke to my common sense, that this would be a way I could gain control of my instints again, and we jumped into it. I have since learned of other such diets focusing on different nutritional needs, and am weighing the outcome with the required choices. What I did learn when taking Rebecca to Whole Foods for the first time... we looked at it from the stand point of what she could eat, not what she couldn't eat. She was empowered by that, and is able to realize that dietary choices are not over. There is a multitude of products that she has actually grown to enjoy more than others.

I hope your son is willing to consider this as one of the building blocks to feeling good again. Nutritional deficiencies are so important in gaining strength to do such things like living alone for the first time, going to work, and managing life as an adult.

Back
Top Bottom