GF black-eyed pea fritters and sauce

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

occb

New
Reaction score
We had an international potluck at work this week, where we had to pick a country from a bowl and make food from that country (or region of the world). I drew Senegal, and chose to made akkra, which are black-eyed pea fritters, because they're gluten-free and one of my co-workers is celiac. Black-eyed peas are actually beans, so if I type beans, it's all the same thing.

Put 2 1/2 cups of dried black-eyed peas in a bowl of water, and gently rub them together to make the skins come off. The skins float to the surface, so you can skim them out fairly easily. Do this in a bowl that's significantly bigger than the amount of beans you have, otherwise you'll be scooping out the beans too. I learned this through experience :lol:

I changed the water, and then let the beans soak overnight in the fridge. I think they were actually soaking for 20 hours.

Fry up a large onion in oil (traditionally palm oil, but I used olive oil) until glassy, and then add the onion, peas, and a teaspoon of pepper and a teaspoon of salt, to a blender or food processor, and blend until creamy. Add water if it's too dry.

I guess, traditionally, hot pepper sauce is also added to the batter before blending, but I didn't do this, because some of my co-workers are sensitive to spice -- anyway, if you like spice, add 1-2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce.

Take a medium frying pan and put an inch deep of oil, and when the oil starts looking shimmery, drop in tablespoons of the batter. Fry them until they're golden brown and then take them out and put them onto paper towel to soak up excess oil. Eat while hot.

The fritters taste really good dipped in hot pepper sauce, and I got an awesome recipe for sauce from Bryant Terry

Terry's own recipe for black-eyed pea fritters is on that page, and they sound very tastey. I'll make those ones next time.

Oooh, those

DO sound YUMMY!! I'm going to have to try to make some!

Thank you, Occb! My celiac stomach appreciates it! WOOOHOOO!!!!

Yaaay!

I get all warm and fuzzy when I expand culinary horizons (my own and others). Cooking is where it's at!

My mouth waters every time I think about that sauce.

Back
Top Bottom