Green Juice

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Robin,
Watched the video, went and looked on the website. Then I checked Amazon and was reading reviews for the 1000 watt machine. I know it can be due to user error, but there are complaints about this machine. I'd look for a better juicer myself. Just my 2 cents!

Sorry, this was not a recommendation for the machine.
I should have looked for another video about the juice, which was my main reason for posting this.
I searched for a while, for a juicer that was recommended, but they all seem to have a fault or two. I did see one idea, which I think I am going to try. Take your blender, and using a fabric paint strainer, blend the ingredients, and then put the strainer over the blender and pour into a large bowl. Then pour from the bowl into your glass. Not sure if the paint strainer can be washed mulitple times. Worth a try though.

Robin,
I didn't mean my remark as a criticism. I apologize if it came across that way. I own a good blender and I'll try this suggestion. I've never been big on juicing; my last juicer was not a good one and frustrated me greatly. LOL But I can really see the merit to juicing these days. And it would be a good, ongoing detox for the body.

I have also considered just a daily cup of vegetable soup... homemade of course. I guess there is the question of losing enzymes, but the vitamin and mineral benefits would still be available.

I have also considered just a daily cup of vegetable soup... homemade of course. I guess there is the question of losing enzymes, but the vitamin and mineral benefits would still be available.

I thought that just the cooking process alone destroyed the vitamin/mineral content of the food as well as the enzymes; am I mistaken in that thought? And then I'd consider, that if you make extra soup so you're not making it everyday, the reheating aspect of it. I have only just recently come to the conclusion that making a pot of soup or a casserole that lasts several meals is doing myself a disservice, nutritionally speaking. And then there's that "ease" of reheating in the microwave. My cheapo microwave bit the dust months ago and I haven't replaced it. Takes longer to reheat anything, but at least the food's not getting zapped of all its food value.

With a family at home, you may not have these issues. Cooking for only myself much of the time, I always thought making large quantities and eating off it for a week was a good thing. Maybe it was a good thing for saving mealtime preparation time, but it's not a good thing from a nutritional point of view.

I need to do some more research before I can adequately discuss this. I thought the vitamins were left. I know you can bake minerals into foods. The heat does not distroy minerals. Thought vitamins were the same.

Back to the University of Google for the Fall semester.

Info I wrote on a note to myself:
-Enzymes are required for every chemical reaction in the body.
-Acidic pH impairs enzymatic functions
-Phenols in all foods are strongly acidic
-If sulfation pathway isn't functioning well and you are unable to process phenolic compounds efficiently, there will be a build up of these acidic compounds in the body.

However:
Alkalosis enhances neural excitability and may enhance seizure activity, the increased pH of the seizure focus may provide insight into the pathophysiologic mechanism of epileptic seizures.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119317883/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Info I wrote on a note to myself:
-Enzymes are required for every chemical reaction in the body.
-Acidic pH impairs enzymatic functions
-Phenols in all foods are strongly acidic
-If sulfation pathway isn't functioning well and you are unable to process phenolic compounds efficiently, there will be a build up of these acidic compounds in the body.

However:
Alkalosis enhances neural excitability and may enhance seizure activity, the increased pH of the seizure focus may provide insight into the pathophysiologic mechanism of epileptic seizures.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119317883/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Robin,
I can't get into your link. It gives me an error message that it can't send a cookie that is needed. I have cookies enabled. Tried it in both Safari and Firefox browsers. Any suggestions?

Tried my Dell with Internet Explorer browser; same thing.
I can go to just the website with no problem. Just can't access your link.?

Last edited:
I am sorry, I don't know what to do to make it work for you. I just clicked on it and it worked fine from my mac with Firefox.

Just trying to understand how acidity and alkalinity is a part of this disorder for some. I know Rebecca's dental health has proven that there is a problem in this area. For me as well, since I have a mouthful of cavities that began as a child.

I am sorry, I don't know what to do to make it work for you. I just clicked on it and it worked fine from my mac with Firefox.

Just trying to understand how acidity and alkalinity is a part of this disorder for some. I know Rebecca's dental health has proven that there is a problem in this area. For me as well, since I have a mouthful of cavities that began as a child.

Had to be a problem with the website itself since I just tried it again and was able to read the abstract.

So, is this saying that the body needs to be more alkaline to reduce neurological excitability and therefore seizures?

I need to do some more reading on this pH thing. A couple of years ago, there was an infomercial that a friend called to my attention that was espousing the need for the body to be in an alkaline state; I never watched it. My only experience in having to regulate pH was when my sweet schnauzer girl Molly had bladder surgery, first for alkaline stones, and then for acidic stones. The vet finally put her on some "people" medication that neutralized the pH of her bodily fluids.

Last edited:
I know when I was using pH strips with Rebecca, and working to clear her liver pathways, it did bring the numbers closer to the suggested range. Both first-morning-urine and saliva.

I need to see where the numbers are now, as I have put that treatment on hold for financial reasons. In addition we are doing chelation with her, and it most likely would be good to know how her liver is dealing with this. Another round beginning today.

Well. But that still leaves the question: Are these researchers suggesting that the body be more alkaline to reduce seizures?

If they are, then it agrees with everything I've read in the past 2 hours about the necessity of pH balance for overall health. What is commonly deemed appropriate pH for overall good health is @7.3, which is essentially neutral. Right now, I'm not so concerned about pH balance as it relates to seizures(I seem to have that front fairly under control), but for the inflammation mess I find myself embroiled in.

Any comments?

Last edited:
I need some time to think about this.
I actually was told that a lower pH was better. Now I need to find that info for my own knowledge.
Dr Blaylock just wrote something about inflammation. I will try to gather it all and send it your way.

I need some time to think about this.
I actually was told that a lower pH was better. Now I need to find that info for my own knowledge.
Dr Blaylock just wrote something about inflammation. I will try to gather it all and send it your way.

Robin,
Send along anything you find. I am thinking pH might be an explanation, if not a solution to my specific set of problems right now.

I looked at that last abstract link you provided; it really is saying that acidic is the way to go to lessen seizures. My error in my previous statement about it.

Last edited:
Root Vegetables

Hearty root veggies such as carrots, rutabagas, beets, and parsnips are especially good during the colder months when we tend crave food that is more substantial. Root vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre. In general, they are low in calories and virtually no fat. The deeper the root vegetable's colour, the more antioxidants it contains. Carrots are well known for their beta carotene (which forms vitamin A); beets are known to deliver phytochemicals that are good for liver health and purple potatoes are loaded with anthocyanins, pigments that act as antioxidants.

Beets
Beets are sweet tasting and have a highest sugar content of any vegetable. Usually beets are deep red, but less common varieties yellow, pink-striped or white flesh are available. Young beet greens are tasty in salads or stir-fries.

Carrots
Carrots are sweet treats loaded with nutrients. One 8 oz. glass of carrot juice contains about 20,000 mg (45,000 IU) of vitamin A. Besides the recognizable orange types, there are yellow and purple carrots.

Parsnips
Parsnips look like cream coloured carrots, and though they are sweet, they have a spicy element. Unlike carrots, parsnips contain no beta-carotene but they are a good source of vitamin C and folate. Parsnips add a complex flavour to stews, soups and mashed potatoes. Parsnips can be substituted for carrots in carrot cake for an interesting change.

Potatoes
Few vegetables are as nutritious and versatile as the potato. Not only does a potato give you an excellent supply of carbohydrates, but it also provides important vitamins and minerals, including potassium, niacin, vitamins B6 and C, and manganese. For optimum fibre, eat potatoes with the skin on. Avoid potatoes with a green tinge. They are high in the alkaloid solanine, which can be toxic if eaten in large quantities.

Rutabaga
The rutabaga is member of the cabbage family and resembles a large turnip. They contain good amounts of Vitamins A and excellent amounts of vitamin C. Typically 7.5 to 12.5 cm (3 to 5 inches) in diameter, rutabagas have a thin, pale yellow skin and a slightly sweet, firm light orange flesh.

Buying and Storing
All root vegetables are good keepers. Store them in a cool, dark, dry place around 0 to 4 ° C (32 to 38 °F). If vegetables start to grow, the temperature is too high. If vegetables start to shrivel, the air around them is too dry.

Availability
Root vegetables are available year round. Locally they are at their best from October to March.

Preparation
Wash root vegetables well with a vegetable brush to remove dirt.

Easy ways to prepare root veggies:

* Try a mashing a variety of root veggies together.
* Puree root vegetables to thicken soups and stews.
* Eat them raw as finger food with a dip.

I've read in the past that Apple Cider Vinegar helps to level out that PH Balance. I've also read there are tremendous amounts of benefits to using Apple Cider Vinegar (2 tsp. a day). Based on the things I've read it works as an anti-inflammatory. I don't know if this is on the same topic that Robin and Molly are talking about, but it sounds like it could be. I don't know, but it sounds interesting and maybe worth a shot. Considering all the medicinal properties associated with it maybe it will help with seizure control.

The acid does mess with the teeth (rots the enamel) so I highly suggest brushing after taking it.

I have the miracle chopper juicer and I love it to bits! it hasn't crapped out on me once!

Back
Top Bottom