Quinoa

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
I read this in my local newspaper today, and I thought I would post it. sounds really good to me.

Keen-Wa??

Salmon and red quinoa on asparagus with lime cilantro sauce

The tender green of asparagus, red quinoa and pink salmon make this heart-healthy dish bold both in flavour and colour.

80 ml (1/3 cup) red quinoa

160 ml (2/3 cup) water

125 ml (1/2 cup) light sour cream

45 ml (3 tbsp) light mayonnaise

5 ml (1 tsp) grated lime zest

30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh lime juice

5 ml (1 tsp) grated fresh ginger

15 ml (1 tbsp) minced fresh cilantro

Pinch salt

Four 100 g (4 oz) fresh wild salmon fillets (about 1 inch/2.5 cm thick)

500 g (1 lb) asparagus

15 ml (1 tbsp) butter

Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off but keep the covered saucepan on the burner for an additional 6 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Set aside.

Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime zest, 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the lime juice, ginger, cilantro and salt in a small bowl, mixing well. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 190C (375F). Place the fillets on a foil-lined baking sheet and brush with oil. Place in the oven and bake uncovered on the centre rack for about 11 to 14 minutes (the salmon will be pink and flake easily with a fork).

While the salmon is cooking, prepare the asparagus. Trim off the tough portion of each spear by grasping it and bending it near the bottom third. The asparagus will snap where it begins to get tough. Place the asparagus in a large pot of boiling water and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until tender but crisp. Toss the asparagus in the butter and the remaining 15 ml (1 tbsp) of lime juice. Season with additional salt to taste.

Arrange the asparagus on individual serving plates. Place a portion of the quinoa over the asparagus and top with a piece of salmon. Drizzle the lime dressing over the salmon and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Beef vegetable quinoa soup

The blend of herbs in this traditional beef vegetable soup takes this recipe from ordinary to extraordinary.

15 ml (1 tbsp) cooking oil

250 ml (1 cup) diced stewing beef

125 ml (1/2 cup) diced onion

125 ml (1/2 cup) diced carrots

125 ml (1/2 cup) diced celery

60 ml (1/4 cup) quinoa

1 l (4 cups) beef broth

1 sprig fresh rosemary

1 sprig fresh thyme

1 bay leaf

3 sprigs fresh parsley

125 ml (1/2 cup) diced red bell pepper

60 ml (1/4 cup) green peas (frozen or fresh)

Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Place the beef in the pan and brown for about 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrots and celery.

Cook until the onion is opaque, about 10 minutes. Add the quinoa and beef broth.

Make a bouquet garni (bundle of herbs) by placing the rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and parsley in a small 4-inch (10 cm) square piece of cheesecloth and tying it with a cotton string. (You can also simply tie the herbs together with a string.) Immerse the bundle in the soup. Simmer the soup for about 17 minutes, until the quinoa is tender.

Add the red pepper and peas in the last 8 minutes of cooking. Remove the fresh herbs, season with salt and pepper and serve. Serves 4 to 6

Chocolate quinoa crepes with bananas

A decadent morning dish full of nutrition. Topped with bananas (and a bit of chocolate sauce if you want to indulge), these light chocolate crepes are not as sinful as they appear.

80 ml (1/3 cup) quinoa flour

30 ml (2 tbsp)) unsweetened cocoa powder

15 ml (1 tbsp) white sugar

Pinch salt

2 egg whites

80 ml (1/3 cup) 1% or 2% milk

60 ml (1/4 cup) water

160 ml (2/3 cup) plain yogurt

30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar

2 ml (1/2 tsp) pure vanilla extract

4 bananas, sliced

Chocolate sauce (optional)

Combine the quinoa flour, cocoa, white sugar and salt in a medium bowl, mixing well. Whisk in the egg whites, mixing gently. Slowly add the milk and water, blending until smooth. Lightly grease or spray a small frying pan with cooking oil and place over medium heat. When the pan is hot, pour about 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the crepe batter into the pan, spreading evenly to coat. Fry until the edges begin to turn golden brown and flip, cooking about 30 seconds per side. Set aside on a plate. Repeat until all the crepes are done (you will have about 8 crepes).

In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla to make the filling. Spread about 45 ml (3 tbsp) of the filling onto each crepe. Add some sliced bananas. Wrap the crepe gently by folding in each side. Garnish the top of each crepe with additional sliced bananas and drizzle with chocolate sauce (if using). Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rae.

I LOVE quinoa. It's one of the few complete non-animal proteins. Extremely healthy, not to mention gluten free.

:)

We eat quinoa all the time over here. My kids like it better than brown rice or other grains. Good stuff!

I havent had it yet. so far I have stuck to potatoes and rice. but I will try it. lol as soon as I find it.

lol and I am going to be making those crepes first!

Here are the pictures of the yummy food above!

Attachments

• 2066326.jpg
    2066326.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2066334.jpg
    2066334.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2066329.jpg
    2066329.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 4
Oh, man. Gotta have the crepes! I wonder if it would work with Stevia instead of sugar? When I try it I'll let you know.

Quinoa is so great. And I love to put cilantro in it. Actually, I love to put cilantro in everything...

You did it!

Rae, I've been sick for the last few days & my appetite has been nil. Putting those pictures in actually made me hungry & able to eat something.

Thanks.

Rae, I've been sick for the last few days & my appetite has been nil. Putting those pictures in actually made me hungry & able to eat something.

Thanks.

Yay. I'm craving those crepes! And that stew!

Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Recipie Redux

Wow, those crepes looked good, and I had all the ingredients... IF I made it Dairy, egg, and sugar-free, which aligns with my usual diet. So I tried it. PRETTY GOOD and guilt-free! Here's my version, changed to be dairy/egg/gluten free, and mostly sugar-free. There is a tiny bit of sugar in the fine chocolate.

It says "serve immediately," but I put 2 in the frig and even though the bananas were a little browned, it still tasted great a couple of hours later.

THANKS for the recipie to start with, RAE!!!! :clap:

So here's the Redux.

Chocolate quinoa crepes with bananas

A decadent morning dish full of nutrition. Topped with bananas (and a bit of chocolate sauce if you want to indulge), these light chocolate crepes are not as sinful as they appear.

Crepes:
  • 80 ml (1/3 cup) quinoa flour
  • 30 ml (2 tbsp)) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Stevia to taste (sweetness & amount depends on brand)
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp en-r-g egg replacer + 5 tbsp water, whisked
  • 80 ml (1/3 cup) soy, almond, or rice milk
  • 60 ml (1/4 cup) water

Filling:
Don't let the tofu scare you. This tastes just like chocolate pudding.
  • 160 ml (2/3 cup) soft silken tofu (MUST be exactly this kind or it won't work!)
  • More stevia to taste
  • 2 ml (1 tsp) pure vanilla extract
  • 12 ounces very high quality dark chocolate (greater than 80% cacao), melted
  • 1 VERY RIPE banana
  • 4 bananas, sliced

Additional chocolate sauce: 1 cup soy, almond, or rice milk, 8 oz high quality (greater than 80% cacao) dark chocolate. Zap in the microwave until the chocolate is just starting to melt. Then remove and stir until completely melted and blended. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add stevia to taste. Stir well. Cool.

Crepes: Combine the quinoa flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, mixing well. Whisk in the (egg replacer + water) and stevia, mixing gently. Slowly add the soy milk and water, blending until smooth. Lightly grease or spray a small frying pan with cooking oil and place over medium heat. When the pan is hot, pour about 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the crepe batter into the pan, spreading evenly to coat. Fry until the edges begin to turn golden brown and flip, cooking about 30 seconds per side. Set aside on a plate. Repeat until all the crepes are done (you will have about 8 crepes).

Filling: In a blender, blend the soft silken tofu, 1 extremely ripe banana, melted chocolate, stevia, and vanilla to make the filling. Blend until smooth. Place in refrigerator until cold and set into pudding consistancy.

To assemble the crepes: Spread about 45 ml (3 tbsp) of the filling onto each crepe. Add some sliced bananas. Wrap the crepe gently by folding in each side. Garnish the top of each crepe with additional sliced bananas and drizzle with chocolate sauce (if using). Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom