Slow-cooker recipes?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

occb

New
Reaction score
I am obsessed with slow-cookers right now. It's winter, the cooker heats the apartment, and it smells tasty all day. Plus, after the initial chopping and adding, it's really low-effort.

Anyway, my first successful slow-cooker experiment was as follows:

8 dried apricots
1 pound pork shoulder
1/2 red cabbage sliced small
2 big sweet potatos cubed
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

I put the apricots on the bottom and laid the uncut pork on top of them. Then put the red cabbage on top of that, and sprinkled the apple cider vinegar on that. The sweet potatos went on top. I cooked on low for 10 hours (without stirring), then another hour on high, and the food reabsorbed the liquid in the bottom of the pot.

It tasted so good -- like a holiday dinner -- so I made it twice this week :lol: It turns into a really thick stew, so if you're the kind of person who likes their foodstuffs to be kept separate, I wouldn't recommend it.

Does anyone else have good slowcooker recipes?

We just bought a slow-cooker cookbook from Barnes and Noble. We are experienmenting with it as well. One recipe is a baked parmesian potatos. I will have to get that book out and write down the specifics. But it is great for cooking in. Takes a while for some of these recipe but its worth the wait.

Ive been wanting to make my Mom's leek and potato soup- boy is it good with a little salt and pepper and some nutmeg on it. Hehe.. making me hungry now.
Anyways I wil ltry and find that book soon to write it up here.

Good idea- winter time food!

Crystal

LEG OF LAMB

one leg of lamb that fits the slow cooker. frozen or not
rosemary
lemon
garlic (about 3-5 cloves)
stock *i like veggie stock*
olive oil

Muddle everything in a food processor or mortar and pestal
and rub all over the lamb.
throw it into the slowcooker and then add enough stock to cover the bottom third of the lamb.

if its frozen cook for 7-8 hours
if its fresh cook for 5-6 hours.
on high

After spending a few days without power in the aftermath of hurricane Ike, I was looking into alternative power solutions for a variety of necessities. I was intrigued by these solar ovens and finally decided to buy one (as a present to myself instead of making one ). Cooking with these is basically like cooking in a crockpot, so I'm looking forward to expanding my culinary horizons with slow-cooker recipes. If I run across any really good ones, I'll be sure to share them here.

I do ribs in the slow cooker that turn out falling off the bone yummy. The sauce is a mix of tomato paste, coconut aminos, egg yolk, and some cajun seasoning with a splash of broth at the bottom of the pot for moisture.

Back
Top Bottom