gradfather

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

atl

New
Reaction score
driver of truck had epilepsy...

so it a rainy day in atlanta, thunderstorms and all, i go on a call, radio saying a 68 year old man in a bmw 325i was rammed with an 18 wheeler, i thought to myself, my grandfather is 68, and he owns that car aswell, we get on scene and there he was, my grandfather basically in two peices along with his car obviously, killing him, the truck was 95 miles an hour, turns out the driver of this truck (alive) had epilepsy and had had a seizure in his truck, he was drinking a can of beer and there was a bag of marijuana in his truck and now the truck driver is charged with dui, possesion of drugs, and murder... i don't know if the last charge is reasonable and i dont agree with it seeing that he had a seizure, what do you think?

rest in peace, good man.

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. That must be very hard to deal with, especially since you went out on the call. I can't even imagine. Much too young to die.
Curious how these sort of experiences are put into our laps to deal with. There is some good that is suppose to come from this, I have a feeling.

IMO - If the truck driver had any history of seizures, I would classify it murder. Due to the drugs and alcohol, I would also call it murder. Guy is not getting out if I am on that jury. He is the one that got behind the wheel of a lethal vehicle.

yeah well i would hate to think that if i were driving down the road and happen to have a seizure (hope that never happens) and i get in a wreck and the other person dies that i would be charged with murder... thats why i choose not to drive the ambulance, i what if i kill patient and my team, what a life this is.

Hmmmm...I think that the trucker should probably get murder...not first degree but maybe 2nd degree...or vehicular manslaughter. The alcohol and marijuana counter the medical defense of epilepsy as a defense.

Hmmmm...I think that the trucker should probably get murder...not first degree but maybe 2nd degree...or vehicular manslaughter. The alcohol and marijuana counter the medical defense of epilepsy as a defense.

:agree: Though if someone knows they have epilepsy I think they should be responsible enough not to drive so using it as a defense is out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom