GARD diet and Azomite supplement controlling seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello. Although I am new to this forum, I started watching it on and off about a year and a half ago. I was interested at that time in magnesium therapy for my son, Uriah. I had found magnesium looking up a cure for depression. At that time, Uriah had been having uncontrolled grand mal seizures for twenty years. I won't go into every test, every procedure, every medication, every supplement, every injury, every hospitalization, etc., etc. he took/suffered through over those years. Suffice to say nothing worked and his seizures went from one a year to several a day. He was hospitilized for suicidal depression twice and I wondered every second when he would end it all.

Today, Uriah has been seizure free for five months, 22 days. The only thing he has done in those five months is the GARD elimination diet and a heaping teaspoon of Azomite daily. I swore that if he was ever well for any length of time that I would write to you.

Amazingly, the first time I ever heard anything about alternative treatments was when I came across Chromium Picolinate for head injuries (Uriah played football in high school and did suffer a concussion). That led to "The Chromium Connection" and the research done on atypical depresssion. From there I went to any site I could, looking for any vitamin, mineral, supplement that might help. I gave him all kinds of crappy supplements until I finally learned what was pure and what was not. Although coming home and having a brother here to help him with daily walking and socializing helped, Uriah continued to have seizures and was still depressed, although no longer suicidal.

I also looked into EEG Neurofeedback but I really had begun to believe it was his gut-brain connection that was damaged. I read the book "Jody's Journey" about using Edgar Caycee's prescription for healing the gut-brain. But, Uriah refused to do the castor oil paks.

When Uriah had his first seizure, I had been through a divorce and was trying to expand my business. Things that had never been in my house before, prepared foods, junk, etc., etc., were easy and plentiful. I can look back now and say, "If I'd known then what I know now, every processed food out there, be it at the grocery store or "health food" food store would have NEVER made it past the front door." I believe I would have saved my son and this family our slow decent into hell.

Uriah is at his sister's house right now. He has no access to prepared foods as she now does not allow them in her house. No SOY OR SOY BYPRODUCTS, corn or corn byproducts, no wheat or wheat byproducts, no sugar or substitutes except stevia, and no cow's milk, only goat's milk.

SOY is highlighted because I believe it is the main culprit. (Although I had eliminated wheat and milk I was still using (unbeknowest) soy and corn byproducts until my doughter taught me that lesson). 60% of the products in our stores contain some form of soy. From the research I've done the only soy humans should ever think about eating is fermented soy.

When Uriah started to really go downhill, he was eatting soy burgers and drinking soy milk in an effort to get healthy! Not to mention the probably hundreds of products he's ingested over the years with soy in them.

I do know from all my research that what helps one may not help another, and I don't know if you have tried the elimination diet or castor oil paks. I only know that besides the EEG Neurofeedback and the castor oil regime, I can't think of anything we didn't try.
Uriah was never a candidate for surgery nor an implanted device.

Another thing I would like to say is that Uriah always knew when he had had a seizure.
Many were in bed. He knew when he woke up that he'd had one even if we didn't hear it. In fact, so many were in the early morning we thought it was sugar related.

Azomite is a clay used by farmer's for their soil and livestock. It was recommended by Weston A. Price foundation. As my husband raises dogs and uses their products himself, I had no concerns about giving, Uriah, Azomite. If others do, there are other clays out there.

I pray everyday that Uriah did not go through this without benefiting someone out there in the world. It would mean so much to him to know that. What I, as a mother tell you is from my perspective, but I AM NOT THE ONE WHO LIVED WITH THIS, WHO STRUGGLED WITH SIDE EFFECTS, SELF-ESTEEM, AN INABILITY TO FEEL, COUNTLESS INJURIES, AND THE MINUTE BY MINUTE FEAR OF ANOTHER SEIZURE. THE COUNTLESS HOSPITALIZATION, THE UNEMPLOYMENT. THE LIST IS ENDLESS. How did my happy, goofy boy who graduated from Brown U. wind up like this?

How can America have this non-food on our shelves?

Now that I've finally started this, I will be happy to answer anyone's questions and give upsdates. Thank-you for your time and this forum. Sincerely, Uriah's mom

Hi, and welcome (officially) to CWE!

It's great to hear that your son is seizure-free, and that the solution is dietary. The more success stories out there, the better the chance that doctors/researchers will get on board (though given the influence of Big Pharma, it may take awhile). I wish you and your son continued success.

Best,
Nakamova

I appreciate the welcome and the good wishes, Nakamova. After I sent the post and reread it, I felt I was too emotional and angry. I'm not usually anymore (or I thought I wasn't)! Funny how this stuff comes back to haunt you. Anyway, thank-you and best wishes to you.

what a wonderful mother you are and such a kind selfless human being also for thinking of others and honouring your promise.

thank you for your post - your words and your emotion.

the GARD diet is something i too am looking into.

i wish you and your son the very best.

Thank you LuminaryLucy, you're very kind. However I do not feel like a good mother. I pretty much feel like an idiot who put her head in the sand, trusted the established protocol, didn't (wouldn't, couldn't) see so many warning signs, etc., etc. I applaud any parent, spouse, friend, etc., who seizes the day and tries to find answers for a loved one. I wish I had tried much earlier.

I tried to find your other posts to read your story but I must be doing it wrong. Can you direct me or tell me your story?

PLEASE give

yourself some credit here. I know quite a few mothers who would not have taken the time to do what you have done to help their children. For you, it was a labor of love, I think. Don't feel embarrassed....I've felt the same way, too. My youngest son has Asperger's, a high-functioning form of autism, and I sometimes knock my head on the wall, just so frustrated. Knowing that I've done everything that I can do..although his diet does need to change, he refuses to do it, and he's 20 now, so I can't do anything about it. And his father is not convinced that changing his diet would help either, and my son thinks his father's word is GOLD......

I've been doing the diet thing myself for a while, too, and have found a lot of benefits to it.

Welcome to CWE, and feel free to let me know if you need anything!!

Meetz
:rock:

Hello
Today, Uriah has been seizure free for five months, 22 days. The only thing he has done in those five months is the GARD elimination diet and a heaping teaspoon of Azomite daily.

Hello, you have done a lot of research into helping your son, Uriah. You a great mother.

Welcome to CWE. It was made out of love by Bernard for his wife Stacy. I am glad you are posting now. We can learn from your research.
Ruth

Last edited:
Welcome to CWE
I too am a believer in nutrition. I too followed conventional medical advice, and seizures became worse, depression/suicidal thoughts, side effects etc
That is when I found Dogtor John and he pointed me in the direction of elimination diets. I thought we had been on a decent diet, but after learning how nutrition causes neurological symptoms I am now sold on this path.

I am glad that you came and shared your experience, and am happy for you that your son is having such a long stretch without seizures. I hope others can learn and be encourage by your experience.

P.S. - I have done some research on chromium and have considered adding it to my daughters vitamin and mineral supplements.

"Chromium is important for blood sugar control. It stimulates the production of essential nerve substances. Deficiency can result in nervousness. Chromium is sometimes used in the treatment of low blood sugar. Those most likely to be at risk from chromium deficiency are the elderly, those who drink alcohol, who are slimming or pregnant or have a high intake of refined foods. There is no recommended daily intake but a safe and adequate range is given as 50-200g. The best source of chromium are yeast, liver, cheese, fruit juices, wholewheat and wheatgerm.

Last edited:
Thank You

I want to thank you for posting your son's situation. Your post alone prompted me to join my first epliepsy forum.

My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with JME back in August of this year. The DR. immediately prescribed meds. My daughter and I read the side-effects and decided that wasn't the way to go. She never started the medication. Instead, I searched the internet for alternative treatments. During that time, she was having about one seizure every 2 weeks on average. Finally, I found the GARD. I was so relieved. We began that elimination diet. It started slow at first trying to find food that she could eat, but eventually, she got into a routine. Since the middle of October, she has had only 3 seizures. The last two, I'm convinced, were as a result of an excess of sugar that she ingested. Sometimes it's hard to control a 14 year old. Her last episode was just yesterday Dec 26. That was her first seizure in 6 weeks.

The reason I am so thankful to you is not only because you are sharing this with others who may consider an alternative to medications, but because I started feeling guilty after this last seizure. I was questioning whether or not I was being responsible with my daughters life. After reading your post, I am now confident (once again) that this is the way to go. You are the first person I have come across to use this diet. I had read testimonials of others on Dogtor J's website, but they seemed impersonal somehow. I felt connected with what you shared and it gave me strength to continue.

Thank you again, your timing in posting was perfect for me.

I wish you great success and true health and happiness for your son.

God Bless.

I would like to reply to everyone, but before I spend another two days and hours trying to address everything, would someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Twice now I have logged-in, written a long post only to be told I am not logged-in and to refresh and log-in. I tried that and lost the post. Does anyone have a clue as to what I am doing wrong? Thank you!

The forum sets a cookie when you log in and, unless you tick the box to stay logged in permanently, will log you out after 45 minutes. If you are going to spend a long time composing a message, I'd recommend composing it in Notepad or some word processor and then copy/paste it when posting to the forum.

Thank-you, Bernard, not only for telling me what I was doing wrong, but for starting this forum!

Okay, I'm going to try this again!

I address this to Robin first and then DLThrasher and Meetz, but I am also speaking to Ruth, LLucy, Nakamova, Bernard, and anyone out there who has responded or is reading this. Just someone responding, welcoming me, encouraging me has touched me. I've needed that more than you'll ever know.

Robin, you were the first person I read on this forum when I found the post on magnesium. Just seeing your picture (like DLThrasher) knowing you and Rebecca were real people gave me hope. Now, knowing that she too has suffered depression, suicidal thoughts helps in convincing me that it wasn't something I did. Why is it that still today we live with, 'it's the parent's fault". Thank you and God bless you from the bottom of my heart. I hope something I can bring to this forum helps Rebecca and all the others suffering from this insane illness.

I would like to know if you have tried castor oil paks? From what I understand, the castor plant is the only plant which produces the protein, ricin. And, that this ricin breaks up the glue that is sticking to the villi in the intestinal system, blocking the absorbtion of nutrients. I am amazed that Uriah is healing without the castor oil paks, but I would recommend to anyone to read, "Jody's Journey" and to visit the Edgar Caycee website for instructions on use. I also recommend the "Healing Oils" and for everyone to eat fermented foods everyday and raw garlic. You don't have to chew the garlic, just dice it up fine and swallow with a drink of water. Or go to curezone and get the recipe for a concoction of acv, garlic and unprocessed local honey.

I found Chromium Picolinate when Uriah was in the hospital and of course the doctor's refused to give it to him. It took six months to convince him to try it. I don't know how much affect it had on him, but I know it's worked miracles for others suffering from atypical depression. Atypical depression is where they gain weight, can't sleep, body dysmorphic, and can at times laugh and have a good time, but it always comes crashing back. Other depression is noted as losing weight, sleeping all the time and no respite of symptoms. Low self-esteem and anxiety is part of it all. It was his girlfriend who first noticed that his symptoms did not fit "typical" depression. The doctors never called it "atypical". It's not called that because it is atypical, but given that name when it was realized it was different than the other. The fact is, it's very prevalent. However, I believe it is all about the gut-brain. I died a thousands deaths when the doctor said, "There is no cure for mental illness. He will be on medication the rest of his life."
But, is that true?

I don't know if supplements work. Maybe by giving high enough doses, the vitamins and minerals, trace minerals, enzymes, etc., etc., something penetrates to the brain, but I don't know for anyone who has lived with this for long if it is a cure. I do know that at this point I don't even trust the capsules, nor to tell you the truth the chemistry of it all. I can truthfully at this stage I only recommend Azomite for minerals, camu camu for Vitamin C, brewer's yeast for the b's and chromium picolinate (grown on sugar beets), fermented cod liver oil and either cold pressed coconut oil or red palm oil (1 tbsp. daily). I truly believe at this point those cannot hurt, but I have been blind sided before. Also, anyone with a compromised system to either install osmosis water filter or drink distilled water.

I would also like to know what else is in your family. Just like Meetz (hi Meetz) I have epilepsy and Asperger's in my family. I also have, depression, suicide, schizophrenia, Alzheimers, migraines, ibs, lupus, asthma, ADHD, and Autisim. They are related. They have to be. What else is related? Liver cancer, als, ms? And what is it that connects them all? Our non-food diet. There IS research out there about the gut-brain.

Now that enough time has passed to tell Uriah's story I realize I AM still angry. I am angry. And passionate. And fed up. Corporate greed has stolen the America our Greatest Generation built, and now it is steeling the HEALTH OF OUR CHILDREN. And there is no end in sight. A corrupted medical profession, sponsered by big pharmacies, now even lowering blood pressure levels which were considered good and blood suger levels for what? To convince more people they need to be on prescription drugs? And diet books, low-cal, fat free, crap, lies and more lies. I can't trust or believe anyone.
However, I am still grateful for doctor's. And I realize they come out of medical school in debt up to their eyeballs. But someone has got to take a stand.

And soy. A left-over byproduct of making industrial oil. And so, corporate greed asks, "What can we do with all this garbage? Let's put it in everything and call it a HEALTH PRODUCT". My great nephew now has type 1 diabetes. It is not in his family. He was premature and given SOY FORMULA. And now research is showing exactly that.

If only one doctor would stand up when someone is brought in after the first seizure (after the first round of tests to rule out brain problems, suger, lead, etc., etc.) and say, "You have a compromised gut. You have gone over the seizure threshold for your unique system and your incredible body did this to protect you and to warn you. It is like filling up a glass of water. One drop is going to send that water flowing over the edge and you drank one drop too many. So, NO MORE WHEAT, CORN, SUGAR OR SUGAR SUBSTITUES. NO CORN BYPRODUCTS OR WHEAT BYPRODUCTS, NO COW'S MILK AND NO SOY, WHICH IS GOING TO REMOVE 60% OF ALL PROCESSED NON-FOOD JUNK OUT THERE. Otherwise, you risk more seizures, different types of seizures, severe depression, devastating side-effects from AED's, loss of driving privileges and you will live in fear every second of every day wondering where you will be and what you will be doing when you have the next seizure. How many people would take the doctor seriously? How many teenagers? Would we then have to fight them every step of the way if it wasn't "just" mom or dad? And what is in our school lunches? Crap.

And pregnant women or those who want to get pregnant. If mom's gut is compromised then she is not getting the nutrients her baby needs even taking vitamins. Just because she is showing no signs yet, doesn't mean she is absorbing enough for her and baby. So, baby is born with a compromised system or full blown autism. If not, then toxins are added either by crap food, environment or a baby shot and the glass of water overflows and baby is now autistic or suffers from some lesser degree. And, I know some people can eat crap, take drugs, drink alcohol, etc., and mom and baby are okay. But, each individual is unique. Some systems seem to be able to grab nutrients out of the thin air. Otherwise the same thing would work for everyone, but it doesn't.

DLThrasher, I had the guts to post on this forum just for you and your daughter. I laughed and cried when I read your post. Cried for your daughter and you and your family and laughed because I wanted proof that somewhere out there, Uriah's story would make a difference. Thank you for letting me know and I will be forever grateful for "DLThraser"! God Bless you and I will wait for the day when you post your own child's story.

I would tell everyone out there, if you give up, if you don't keep pushing teenagers, if parents don't take a stand now, it is only going to get worse. There is an epidemic out there. It is destroying lives and futures and I believe it must be in our very food system.

This is all so hard. I remember days of wondering, "What do I feed this 250 lb., 6' 5" inch man and his brother (almost as big). I remember them being grateful for "a bread like substance" I'd just spent hours making...only to find out that the stuff in the gluten mix is just more crap. Every time trying to add or change a supplement and Uriah unable to cope with change. Tears and frustration with NO PROOF this is going to make one iota's difference.

And God, help me, nmaybe I've got it all wrong, but if we can make it until the 29th it will be six months. And then another day, week, month until 1 year. And then we start again until we are all convinced the nightmare is over. And then I will take a deep breath and finallly have hope that I will get my happy, goofy boy back who can cope with life. He reminds me of people who have post-tramatic stress syndrome.

I know parents live with devastation everyday without hope. With diseases only God could ever hope to cure. But, I don't believe this is one of those. Sincerely, Uriah's mom

Just someone responding, welcoming me, encouraging me has touched me.

I would tell everyone out there, if you give up, if you don't keep pushing teenagers, if parents don't take a stand now, it is only going to get worse.

I know parents live with devastation everyday without hope. With diseases only God could ever hope to cure. But, I don't believe this is one of those. Sincerely, Uriah's mom

I am glad that our welcoming you has had an impact on your life for the better. That is why we need to support and help each other.

God will get rid of epilepsy. If you want to discuss it futher as to how, send me a private message.

We have the nursery room for parents with children who have epilepsy. Why don't you go to the nursery room and see how you can help them.

Not everyone uses nutritional means.. I have taken medicine since I was 6 years old. I am 66 years old now. Some of us in the forum use both medicine and nutritional means. Each one of us makes our own decision as to what is best for us.

I want to thank you for posting your son's situation. Your post alone prompted me to join my first epilesy forum. Finally, I found the GARD. After reading your post, I am now confident (once again) that this is the way to go. You are the first person I have come across to use this diet.

Thank you again, your timing in posting was perfect for me.

I wish you great success and true health and happiness for your son.

Welcome to our forum. I am glad the themanymens was able to help you post. Go to the Social Groups. There is a GARD diet there that you can join. I hope to here from you more often.

You/re right Ruth and I do apologize. And I know it is overwhelming to many people to even think about all that they would need to do to implement these changes. Thanks for the message. I don't condemn anyone for how they try to deal with this, I really don't. I'm angry at how it got this way more than anything and that so many answers are out there in bits and pieces but almost impossible to find, and that not one doctor ever recommended any alternatives. I was talking to all the people I have read over many blogs who are desparate and confused and hopeless because they have tried everything available and nothing worked. Personally, I felt better when I was angry instead of the hopelessness and powerlessness I'd felt for years, but then again, maybe I should sign off for a while and go to anger management! My son's grandmother prayed for him everyday for almost twenty years. I do believe her prayers were answered when I found the strength to look for the answers myself.

No need to

apologize, TMM. As for anger management........well, that's up to you, but I don't think you need to sign off of here. :) What you've learned along the way can prove invaluable to many others here, too, so why don't you hang around?

Hello. Although I am new to this forum, I started watching it on and off about a year and a half ago. ... Today, Uriah has been seizure free for five months, 22 days. The only thing he has done in those five months is the GARD elimination diet and a heaping teaspoon of Azomite daily. I swore that if he was ever well for any length of time that I would write to you. ...

I finally got some time to read through your whole post (and the thread). I love reading posts (and emails) like this - another success story. :woot:

I had never heard of Azomite before so I looked it up:

http://www.azomite.com/index.php?op...&id=207:azomite-is&catid=36:azomite&Itemid=28

Not sure it's something I would want to eat directly (maybe use in my veggie garden though), but it is interesting.

If you don't mind, I'm going to move this thread to the History Book forum as a testimonial for the GARD diet.

Thanks Meetz. I guess I should have qualified my anger and that I'm not talking to anyone who is happy with their control of this illness, the way their doctors have treated it, etc. This forum is not the only one I've read over the years and there are so many desparate people out there, esp., teenagers and heart sick parents who have tried the traditional route. I have walked away so many times because I couldn't stand to read one more story.

I'm not asking everyone to join the bandwagon.

I have read and read and thought, "These are all such good, decent people". People like Bernard who started this forum, Robin, you, Ruth, everyone who takes the time, who tells their story and tries to offer hope and comfort on any of these types of forum; and there are many, many out there.

But there are many who cannot offer hope and comfort. Some don't even want hope and comfort. They want and need answers. The teenager who went to her neurologist and was told, "If you try an alternative you're no longer my patient." And so she didn't.
She is just one out of hundreds that I read who have remained hopeless and lost. How many never told their story?

Taking someone's health into your own hands, without benefit of some kind of doctor is terrifying, yet so many people have no other choice.

Autism is an epidemic now, where it used to be 1 in 10,000 it is now 1 in 150 or less. And if it keeps getting worse? How many of these children will eventually have seizures? It is all related.

All the plants, animals, the honeybees, the trees, etc., are here for a purpose. Our bodies were designed to eat food to obtain a balance of nutrients. Those nutrients work together to do the job they were meant to do. You can cause even more problems just by taking one vitamin or one mineral and not taking it's partner in the work they need to do. Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, micronutrients all work together. It is a master balancing job that our bodies were designed to do down to the minutest detail.

Scientist can tell us all this. The human body is incredible. All this knowledge. We should all be healthy esp. our children. Yet autoimmune dieases have reached epidemic proportions and no one can tell us why?

So many hard-working decent people out there. So many household where both parents must work to put food on the table. Or single parents who must do it all by themselves. Do they have the time and energy to investigate everything out there? Or to grow their own? So, they hear that soy is good for you so they switch to soy milk and soy burgers. They hear to eat margerine instead of butter and to use canola oil. Vitamin packed cereal and milk is good for you. Sugar is bad so use sugar substitutes. And for a treat take them to McDonald's because we no longer use lard and our burgers are 100% beef. And take your vitamins.

I know all about it. I have been there. And I wonder, how many struggling people are out there who pay more for their health insurance than they do for their house payment
or their food bill? They go to doctor after doctor, go through the round of sophisticated tests that can tell them what is not wrong, but give no answers as to what is wrong or how to fix it, or even control it.

I read a blog about a woman whose husband was a manager at McDonald's and she felt looked down upon by her church! How many good, decent people work for Monsanto? We have to work. We don't make the rules. We have no control, no power over food or chemical production.

Dogtor J posted that he found that if he ate non-grass raised chicken it affected him. You might find organic chicken at the health food store, but that does not mean it is grass fed, free range. So, what do we eat? Where to find and afford meat that is how much a pound when you can't afford to turn around?

I am not angry at the good people of America and I am not pointing fingers. I am not some health food nut who looks down her nose at anyone. How could I possibly? We should be able to trust our food. Doctors should take more than two days worth of nutrition classes. Why are we all following the advice of a vet? Because our doctors gave us no answers. I would nominate Dogtor J for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Back
Top Bottom