Lamictal day 6

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

horsehead

New
Reaction score
Doing pretty good so far. Been taking it at night. little tired and slight stomach upset but otherwise good. How many of you have had good results with this med? No seizures that i am aware of either. :)

My 16 year old daughter is on 250 mg of generic Lamictal. Paige takes her med in the morning on a full tummy. She was getting an upset tummy so dr. Told her to eat before meds. She did get a bit dizzy with each increase- but it went away rather quickly. Paige is having good success - no TC. She does have morning myoclonics (dx'd with JME) but we started her on the modified Atkins diet which has greatly decreased her morning myoclonics.

I take mine right after dinner. thought it might be better to take at night since it makes me a bit tired but only on 25mg right now. glad to hear your daughter is doing well

I agree, if it's making you a bit tired to take it at night :). Do you know what your therapeutic level may be? Nice and slow ramp up.

I'm on 100mg in the am and 100mg in pm at 3:00. Although it makes me tired it seems to increase my insomnia. It causes me some blurry vision that comes and goes. I am dealing with the blurry vision today. It is controlling my simple partials well. I have had a few but they have been very brief, seconds to several minutes, before there were controlled, they would last hours to days at a time.

I'm not sure they are ramping me up to 100mg. 25 for two weeks 50 for two weeks then 100.I dont know what they are going to do after that. My seizures can be really bad for months and then I'll have none for awhile. I haven't had anything but a minor dizzy spell yesterday evening for two weeks. thought maybe i would have a seizure yesterday but didn't :) glad yours are better MAB

Feeling quite off kilter today. just kinda zombieish i guess you could say.

I didn't really have many negative side effects with this at all all the way up to 200 mgs. It gave me a mood lift and enhanced sleep and dreaming. I had some diarrhea but that could have been anything. I didn't hit issues until 300 mg but that could have been specific to me and my tolerance of it.

Glad you have no negative side effects lindayschu2. my dreaming has been very vivid too

I've been taking a mixture or lamictal (200mg/day) and phenytoin 100mg/day both in the morning for a couple months. This weekend I had 4 grand mal seizures and 14 absum seizures and starting Monday he ramped my lamictal up to 200mg in the morning and 100 at night; and I feel like I got run over by a truck. I have tremors and absolutely NO energy to even get the mail. Is this most likely a side affect of increasing meds or from my seizures this past weekend? Cuz it's wed and I'm still worn out. Anyone else feel this way?

I've been taking a mixture or lamictal (200mg/day) and phenytoin 100mg/day both in the morning for a couple months. This weekend I had 4 grand mal seizures and 14 absum seizures and starting Monday he ramped my lamictal up to 200mg in the morning and 100 at night; and I feel like I got run over by a truck. I have tremors and absolutely NO energy to even get the mail. Is this most likely a side affect of increasing meds or from my seizures this past weekend? Cuz it's wed and I'm still worn out. Anyone else feel this way?

In my opinion, I think it is mainly from the seizures. I only have simple partials but if they last for long periods I am completely wiped out. Of course, I have never taken the phenytoin so I have no experience with that.

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.

oh sorry read your post wrong MAB. Ugh 4 grand mals.Minkous it takes me days to recover from one.

I agree, it's more likely the seizures. I had a bad event (at least 4 in a row over a few hours) and it's almost a month later and I haven't recovered all my energy, still feel shaky (the weak kind) and I wonder when this is going to get better.

I agree, it's more likely the seizures. I had a bad event (at least 4 in a row over a few hours) and it's almost a month later and I haven't recovered all my energy, still feel shaky (the weak kind) and I wonder when this is going to get better.

When I had long lasting simple partials, before I knew what was wrong, I would go to the doctor complaining of complete utter exhaustion and ask for a prescription for bed rest.

Lamictol Day6

I have been on 100mg.'s of Lamictol,(2 am, 1 pm) for 17 years. My own experience was somewhat different than yours. It only worked partially for me. I needed a co-medication. I had some serious side effects from other medication used in conjunction with the lamictol.
Other side-effects of lamictol include: itchy dry skin, inner walls of mouth can get swollen, periods of insomnia, and a few more.
The positive was that instead of getting seizures every night and day I only got them 1-3x a month. I am seizure free because of alternative methods other than chemicals alone.
I hope lamictol works well for you.

No you didn't miss a post MAB I just thought you posted you had vivid dreams.

I've been seizure-free on Lamictal for nearly 6 years now. The dizziness occurred at each ramp-up increment but then went away. At first Lamictal caused restless sleep and very vivid dreams. During the day I would be extra "perky" and and hyper-focused. Both those side effects went away after a few months and now I sleep quite soundly. If you are able, I recommend that you give Lamictal some time before fully evaluating the side effects, as they may dissipate as your brain and body adjusts.

Thank you nakamova . I will certainly give the med time. The side effects now are minor and not bothering me much. I just posted to see what other people have experenced on the med. Also to let you all know how i was doing on it.

Back
Top Bottom