[MAD] MAD - Modified Atkins Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

They don't specify which type of carbs they lowered. It sounds like they lowered all, which would be a mistake because complex carbs are needed. It is the refined carbs that are the problem.

I also couldn't miss the ad by Dunkin' Doughnuts next to the article.

Last edited:
They don't specify which type of carbs they lowered. It sounds like they lowered all, which would be a mistake because complex carbs are needed. It is the refined carbs that are the problem.

I think youre on to something : ) When I first started researching diets I came across the LGID. I was very close to trying that. Thier theory is that there are good and bad carbs. Jenas at 20 carbs a day now and Ive been playing with it a bit. I am finding she can handle more complex carbs without issues it seems. Maybe there should be a MAD/LGID diet .. maybe that would be a better diet? hmmm..

I hope all are well
joan*

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/JuvenileMyoclonicEpilepsy/

Doesn't the Doctor you are working with, discuss this?
Sugar is the other thing that needs to be curtailed. Not easy with teens, but if you really think about it, years ago they might have had the opportunity to have sugar maybe once or twice a year. It was a real special treat. These days we are finding opportunities to have it at every meal if we want it. Many can handle it (who knows how long) while others are down for the count.

With MAD it seems a carb a carb. DOesnt matter if its from an apple or from a donut,,,, what Im thinking is that I bet jennifer can take alot more "good" carbs. Im not willing to play with her now as shes doing so well,, but I think, in time, it will be revealed thats its more about bad carbs than good carbs. The 20 carbs jena takes a day are all from complex carbs.
Joan*

I'm wondering about honey. Is that too sweet and are you talking about the natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables?

Honey has a fairly low glycemic index. If you want a sweetener that's even lower, agave nectar is fantastic.

The sugars from fruits can be very high if they're in the form of juice or smoothies. When the fruit is eaten whole, it lowers the GI tremendously, because the sugars are released more slowly into the body. Most veggies don't tend to be as bad for sugars.

Ive also heard depending on how ripe the fruit is, matters as well. I havent researched it yet but if the fruit very ripe it may have more carbs than if its less ripe. Ill look into it *

joan*

Thanks, Joan. I'm going to mention diet to my dr. at my next visit.

Jena is still on MAD and doing great. SHe is at 20 carbs ow which seem likea lot. Her keppra has gone from 750 to 500. We are very happy and plan on continueing.

Jennifer has joined this site as well. So Im sure you will hear from her lol*

joan*

This is very encouraging. I am sure the two of you can make a huge impact and prove to others that there is hope by making nutritional changes.

Wouldn't Dr Atkins be very proud of the fact that his diet wasn't just for the overweight, but helped people with seizure disorders. I am sure he is smiling.

As JEna would say... food has alot more to do with you than making you big. It also effects your brain.
I'm really starting to feel like a competent researcher as well. I kid my husband I'm going back for my PhD as it can not be harder than this lol

Dr K says we are in uncharted territory with Jennifer. He didn't expect her to do so well. Hes kinda shocked too. But my thinking is.. as we up these carbs, I'm sticking to only the Low Glycimic Index Carbs. I have a feeling and I'm going with it, that we still have to beware of carbs that are not healthy carbs. I do believe there are healthy carbs and unhealthy ones. Maybe in time, the diet will morph into a MAD/Low Glycimic diet. I really have a feeling that has great potential.

We go back to Baltimore the end of October. We will decide then to lower her meds again by 100 IF all is well.

Thank you for keeping me company. I am glad all goes well with your daughter *

joan*

Jena is still on MAD and doing great. SHe is at 20 carbs ow which seem likea lot. Her keppra has gone from 750 to 500. We are very happy and plan on continueing.

:woot:

Jennifer has joined this site as well. So Im sure you will hear from her lol*

We had a RebeccaN sighting recently. Jennifer is on board now. C0nn0rCh0sen and epilepticloner recently joined... Looks like school starts and all of a sudden CWE gets an influx of students. :)

I'm really starting to feel like a competent researcher as well. I kid my husband I'm going back for my PhD as it can not be harder than this lol

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/what-ive-learned-e-patients-607/

Dr K says we are in uncharted territory with Jennifer. He didn't expect her to do so well. Hes kinda shocked too. But my thinking is.. as we up these carbs, I'm sticking to only the Low Glycimic Index Carbs.

I would have thought that, of all people, Dr. Kossoff would be the least surprised by her response to the diet. I believe that the day will come when diet is discussed and offered as a first line treatment for epilepsy in lieu of drugs.

k.. next appointment April 16 wooohooo... We are switching Jennifer to Keppra XT (whatever that extended form is) she will switch to 500 once a day, get adjusted, and reduce to once a day at 250 mg.. OMG!! I'm so excited. Probably will take us 2 mos to get there. IF she does well on the extended 250 once a day, we will again up her carbs and see how it goes. This is really just trial and error. ALot of unchartered territory here. Dr K says Jena will probably be on the diet for life. A small price to pay for the success we've had and some normalcy for Jena. Hes impressed how well it works for her. He also said we were wise to use the LGIT diet as a guideline to adding carbs to her diet (We stick to low GI carbs). We are adding zinc to try and help the hair issue. Lite probiotics and omega 3. There were also 2 Dr's 1, from Germany and 1 from Nigeria visiting and watching the MAD clinic. So there is alot of interest in MAD. I think in the next few years they are really going to define this diet and I pray in the end, it helps alot more than it does now.

Well, as in the words of the grateful dead.. what a long strange trip its been.

I hope everyone well,
joan*

What has been your best online source for the LGIT?

BTW - so glad to hear the good news.

TY**

I use a few. I just keep searching till I find the info I need. But "funny" again how sugar and carbs (the belly) and the way the body breaks them down .. all seem to play a role and the increase of diabeties... Some day, we should be able to figure it all out and watch, it will be something simple!! lol

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Glad all goes well,
joan*

Thanks. After being OD'd on a Rx which I toerated, I'm now being switched to Keppra. Had I not been aware of what had happened, things could have been much worse for me.

Great news about your DD, Joan. The 2-mo. weaning form any Rx sounds about normal. (This is the 2nd time round for me when I tolerated Rx and had to tell the drs.)

P.S... These sugar alcohols new territory to me but very important as well.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugaralcohols.htm

Dr says she will be on the diet for life or until a breakthru. STem cell may be something that will help in time. He says watch the sugar alcohols like I would carbs. I swear it cant be harder getting a PhD!! lol

I hope you are all well,
joan*

I personally am reading every label that comes into my house. If there is something on the label that is not natural coming directly from the source (not a factory made ingredient) it is not consumed in my house. This way I cut down on on most offending ingredients. I have also been reading about how sugars are causing inflammation, and inflammation has been mentioned when seizures are involved (in some cases).

I have this huge chart in my head that has all the diets interconnected. There are so many similarities, and those that are seeing results are making similar choices.

I almost want to live to be 300 just to see them connect the dots between MAD, LGIT, SCD, and how the world changes its eating patterns. AFter all the research, I really am starting to find it fascinating.

Glad all is well
joan*

Back
Top Bottom