Neurofeedback: Bad Experience

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KevarQ- Are you being sarcastic yourself or serious about Rachel's sarcasm causing you to have a seizure?

Seizures that are Epileptic would not be triggered by someone's sarcasm. It does sound quite odd for someone to think so hard on a seizure that it almost happens is causes one. Epilepsy and seizures connected to it have a tendency to happen due to abnormal electrical discharge of neurons either in one part (partial) of the brain or all over (generalized).

In rare cases there are people that can provoke their own seizure but its usually kids, or people with very rare
reflexive seizures. Those are a little different than unprovked epileptic seizures that are spontanious.

Chrystal, NO I was being sarcastic about her sarcasm causing me to seize. Oh Thank G-d sarcasm doesn't cause me to seize otherwise I would be in trouble : )

But yes I'm serious about the thinking hard about seizures causing seizures. NOT TC's but the simple partials. The 1st time was when this man who's son had seizures asked me to describe them and I started to describe the whole deja vus and what it was like, how I felt, all that crazy stuff, etc. and I started to bring one on. Keep in mind I was really trying to give him details and really thinking about it. Also, the idea of a cat purring (Rae recently talked about) I won't even think about it because I know exactly what her mom is talking about in regards to the brain vibrating similar to the way a cat purrs, which I use to define as my brain getting like a chill or something but I found her definition so much better. I was shocked when she described it because that was something that I was never able to really put words to. Now I know for a fact that if I think about it too hard I will bring it on (Complex Partial). When I think about it I find myself trying to shake it off immediately because it bugs me out. It's like it's lingering and wanting me to bring it on. Perhaps this doesn't make sense, but I'm really serious. Again, not TC's and thankfully I haven't had one of those since before surgery but I'm having the complex partials.

Actually now that I think about it's not totally uncommon for that to happen since a co-workers wife had E and he talked about that. I will check into it.

Last edited:
In rare cases there are people that can provoke their own seizure but its usually kids, or people with very rare reflexive seizures. Those are a little different than unprovked epileptic seizures that are spontanious.

WOW, Crysal I have never checked into this until now, but I've always known that I could bring it on if I tried real hard, which I don't. Unfortunately that hasn't cured me from having E : ( since I get them anyway and these days nocturnal (complex partials). Prior to surgery spontaneous TC's. But you're right, "Reflexive Seizures". I have RTL epilepsy. Here's what I found:

"Four typical seizures were recorded during video–EEG monitoring with scalp and sphenoidal electrodes ( figure). All were triggered during interviews in which he was being asked about the seizure trigger or when he was talking about it. He reported his aura, and the seizures then occurred with staring, lip smacking, altered consciousness, and automatisms. The EEG showed ictal epileptiform activity initially over the left sphenoidal electrode and left temporal convexity. Just after the aura of one of these seizures, elicited while he was explaining what could trigger an attack, he said that he would have a seizure if he continued to think about it and then immediately repeated "la casa, la casa." He then said that the attack was coming, and then stared as the clinically evident seizure began."
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/56/1/121

Last edited by a moderator:
That reminds me how I had a seizure during the first visit to my neurologist while he asked me to describe them. Finally I just said "just wait until this one is over". I think that told him more than I could have answered.

I never thought that it might have been my describing it that provoked it until now:ponder:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epileric, I wouldn't be shocked if that was the reason. I don't know but I just assumed that this would happen to most E patients. I'm kind of shocked to learn that this would be rare because it's something that I've known for a long time and like I said earlier a co-worker's wife the same thing for her. I'm curious if there's other now?

The brain has memory!!!! Thats why nerofeedback works so well! I thought that we come to this fourm to support each other. We should try to be nice to each other. Peace to all!

... He practices out of Duke University, ...

So he's a colleague of Dr. Rabiner.

...He probably knows a lot more than the two of us combined. Also he is listed as one of NC's best neuros of 2009...

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/appeals/appeal-to-authority/

I have met a lot of neurologists who didn't know anything at all about neurofeedback. It's not part of the curriculum that they study.

Earlier, you put forth the jaded argument that neurofeedback practitioners were all money grubbing charlatans looking to buy new homes and cars - one that is patently false. However, the flip side of the coin is that neurofeedback represents a treatment modality that threatens the income stream of neurologists who don't invest the time and effort to become practiced/proficient in it. There is a pink elephant in the room that the AAN and AES is trying to ignore IMO.

... It doesn't matter what you smell (your example burnt rubber) before a seizure. Just because your brain senses something that isn't there, doesn't mean that when that smell really is there that your brain won’t know what do to with it but have a seizure.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/auras

Auras are symptoms of the brain initiating (or following) a seizure pattern.

...I think that is extremely rude to say to someone with E that you know more about what it is like. ... Do you know more about cancer because you dont have it? Do you know more about fibromyalgia because you dont have it? Blindness? Deafness? A person that makes this claim is really showing how full of themselves they are.

Does your argument also apply to the neuro from Duke that you hold in such high regard? It is possible for people to educate themselves. While they will always lack first hand experience, that doesn't mean they are incapable of achieving a deep understanding of the subject.

So since the brain has memory and learns how to do it then one could make themselves have a seizure because your brain knows how to do it?? I am a little confused right now....

Yes. It's called kindling.

Of course doctors try to find out why...that is what eegs, mri's and other tests are for. If a doctor was to put you on meds and not do any testing as to why you are having seizures then they can really be putting you in harms way. What if you are having seizures due to a tumor in your brain? If they didn't know why and just put you on meds then that would not help at all...so one of the first things they do is try to find out is why.

And yet, many people are put on meds when hospitalized after their first seizure - before any testing is complete. It happens all the time. Their first priority is to try and prevent future seizures and they often take a brute force approach.

Rach, I don't think "kindling" is necessarily a conscious choice.

Correct. All it takes is the triggering (and strengthening) of a neuronal pathway that leads to overexcited/overloaded brain activity. There are any number of possible seizure triggers.

I tried my hardest but I just cant seem to give myself one. DAMN!!!

This kind of response is not constructive.

I sure can....
In some cases Neurofeedback is helpful in training the brain so that it doesn't need to seize as a release mechanism. It raises the threshold level and stops what is known as kindling.

I think you misunderstood the context of Robin's post. Read more about kindling and her comment will make sense.

Chrystal, NO I was being sarcastic about her sarcasm causing me to seize. Oh Thank G-d sarcasm doesn't cause me to seize otherwise I would be in trouble : )
But yes I'm serious about the thinking hard about seizures causing seizures.

True organic seizures are not cause by thinking about them. This is classic of psychogenic seizures. People with psychogenic seizures are not faking them. They really do think that they are real. Also, it is possible to have both real seizures and psychogenic ones. If someone has a psychogenic seizure it doesn't automatically mean that the person is crazy or needs to be admitted to a psych ward. All they need is some counseling. Some people with psychogenic seizures don't even need that. Some quit having them after they find out that they are not organic. I wish mine were that way so all it would take is some counseling. Anyways, I have a question for you though...If talking about seizures causes you to have one then why are you on a support group website talking about them? Wouldn't that cause you to have more? Also, when you go to a neurologist, the main this you talk about is your E. So why would you go? I think that if talking about them made me have one then I wouldn't be here and wouldnt be going to a neuro. I just wouldn't talk about it. Kinda curious there. Also, suggesting that my mood can make you have one sounds a little silly. I would appreciate an explanation of that because I don't see how this is possible. Always seeking new info. :)

The brain has memory!!!! Thats why nerofeedback works so well! I thought that we come to this fourm to support each other. We should try to be nice to each other. Peace to all!

Yes the brain has memory...no argument there. BUT during a seizure I have no recollection of what happened. If my brain had a memory of how to have a seizure then I would have a memory of the seizure. I think that neurofeedback has more of the "placebo effect" on seizures. If it was PROVEN effective for epilepsy, then there would be much more literature on it. There aren't too many scholarly journals that suggest that it is effective. In order for it to be proven effective there needs to be more research on it. And if one day it is proven effective then I will be more likely to believe it. Until then, I think it is just a way for these people to make money, maybe helping the occasional rich person that can afford to pay for the training without coverage by insurance.

As I said before neurofeedback has not been proven effective in people with E. If you go back and read one of my earlier posts then you will see that I said that my neuro said that there is no credible research on it AS FAR AS E goes. That article is about ADHD. A totally different condition. Neurofeedback has also been shown to work in people with mood disorders...I never said that neurofeedback is not effective at all for anything. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I have met a lot of neurologists who didn't know anything at all about neurofeedback. It's not part of the curriculum that they study.

When you go to college you learn about a wide range of things that are related to that particular topic...Even if it is information that has over time been proven correct or incorrect. As a special education major, I learned alot about the past treatments/beliefs of children with disabilities. Many of these beliefs are not true, but you will run into people that still believe some pretty crazy things. BUT it is important to learn about the old beliefs as well as the more accurate information we have today. I am pretty damn sure that neurofeedback is not something that was skipped out on and ignored in teaching future neurologists.

Last edited:
Does your argument also apply to the neuro from Duke that you hold in such high regard? It is possible for people to educate themselves. While they will always lack first hand experience, that doesn't mean they are incapable of achieving a deep understanding of the subject.

In this case actually yes. A neuro goes through years and years of training in order to be able to become a doctor. You say that it is possible for them to educate themselves. That statement says that neuros that dont believe the small amount of studies out there on neurofeedback and e are uneducated and that you are more educated than them. This is obviously not the case for anyone on here including myself. That is why nobody here has a neurology degree. we are not as educated and did not go through the many years of schooling that a neuro does.

And yet, many people are put on meds when hospitalized after their first seizure - before any testing is complete. It happens all the time. Their first priority is to try and prevent future seizures and they often take a brute force approach.

Incorrect. A neuro should never put you on meds without more than one seizure. Having more than one seizure is neccesary in order to diagnose E. I wasn't but on meds right away and neither should anyone if they have only had one seizure...A seizure does not mean E. My first neuro didn't even initiate meds with me until my EEG and MRI testing came back. Look it up anywhere on the diagnosis and treatment of E. epilepsy.com has some good info on it.

This kind of response is not constructive.

Me and my two friends thought it was funny. It was not a serious comment.[/QUOTE]

Rach, I will respond to all your questions: My response in regards to your sarcasm making me seize was sarcastic because I was replying to your sarcasm. Perhaps that was wrong of me and I'm sorry for that since 2 wrongs don't make a right.

As far as the bringing on seizures I'm finding myself perplexed as this idea being far fetched and apparently it's my own ignorance just assuming most E patients had that problem. As far as me being here and discussing E does not bring me to have seizures because I'm not describing my seizures in great detail and talking per se' about my seizures but rather ways to control them. I find most people do not describe their seizures to great length on here or at least not the threads I've read. As far as the neuro and talking to him I've been diagnosed with E for 10+ years and do not have to describe my seizures to my neuro since he already knows and I've already had RTL. He also does not necessarily label each particular seizure since to him any seizure is bad. I used to have violent TC's which I clearly did not bring on and I had years of Simple Partials prior to the TC's and had no clue what they were until I landed in the ER. Now I have nocturnal CPs and YES whatever type you call the seizure of having the ability to bring it on I can do that as well, but I just don't.

I do have E whether you want to assume it's not real or I believe it to be true is absurd and I have a hole in my RTL to prove that as well as a scar on left shoulder from shoulder surgery due to a TC. Also, if one NEVER had a true seizure than how could one bring one on by thinking about the seizure itself if they've known what it was like. I'm not going to defend myself as though I'm lying about being able to bring one on because I KNOW I CAN! Clearly I wouldn't even lie about something so stupid and again, assumed everyone had that problem. It's not by simply saying certain things like an aura, lip smacking, arm banging, etc. but when I sit back and really think hard and deep about the actual experience or when I was describing it in detail to a co-worker who was interested because of his son or better yet trying to literally feel the vibration / chill that I experience in my brain. (NO, I'm not sitting here thinking about it to seize but can say the word without getting attached). This does not mean that I can cure my seizures by simply never talking about them, although perhaps I would have more if I did discuss it in great detail, but nevertheless I still have seizures. Sorry this does not fit your idea of E, but it is what it is.

Yes the brain has memory...no argument there. BUT during a seizure I have no recollection of what happened. If my brain had a memory of how to have a seizure then I would have a memory of the seizure.

Rach, have you ever had an aura? An aura is a seizure and in many cases E patients REMEMBER their auras. I know I don't remember the per se' seizure that sometimes follows the auras but I can remember the aura prior to a seizure and I never remembered the TC or even sometimes hours after the TC. Once in a blue moon I'll even remember the nocturnal seizures but most times my husband will let me know in the morning. The brain having memory is not referred to YOU remembering your seizures but rather your BRAIN (neurons) remembering how to seize, hence Kindling.

hmmm, you sarcastic comment to me you say you and your friends thought it was funny but yet you claim my response was silly? Not nice Rach : )

Last edited:
If I

may chime in here for a minute, and this statement is NOT meant to aggravate anyone, but to simply make a point:

While it is TRUE that it takes 2 seizures to give the LABEL of E, it does happen quite often that people are given AEDs after ONE seizure--ESPECIALLY if the initial seizure was especially long, or especially violent. Sometimes, the patient is weaned off the meds given, sometimes they are not....it depends on tests done.....

As far as the bringing on seizures I'm finding myself perplexed as this idea being far fetched and apparently it's my own ignorance just assuming most E patients had that problem. Now I have nocturnal CPs and YES whatever type you call the seizure of having the ability to bring it on I can do that as well, but I just don't.

I do have E whether you want to assume it's not real or I believe it to be true is absurd and I have a hole in my RTL to prove that as well as a scar on left shoulder from shoulder surgery due to a TC. Also, if one NEVER had a true seizure than how could one bring one on by thinking about the seizure itself if they've known what it was like. I'm not going to defend myself as though I'm lying about being able to bring one on because I KNOW I CAN! Clearly I wouldn't even lie about something so stupid and again, assumed everyone had that problem. It's not by simply saying certain things like an aura, lip smacking, arm banging, etc. but when I sit back and really think hard and deep about the actual experience or when I was describing it in detail to a co-worker who was interested because of his son or better yet trying to literally feel the vibration / chill that I experience in my brain. (NO, I'm not sitting here thinking about it to seize but can say the word without getting attached). This does not mean that I can cure my seizures by simply never talking about them, although perhaps I would have more if I did discuss it in great detail, but nevertheless I still have seizures. Sorry this does not fit your idea of E, but it is what it is.

I've never been able to bring on a seizure, either, by just thinking about it or mentioning it. That is just an assumption.

And if you can bring on a seizure, wouldn't that be in the "pseudo-seizure" category?

Rach, I will respond to all your questions: My response in regards to your sarcasm making me seize was sarcastic because I was replying to your sarcasm. Perhaps that was wrong of me and I'm sorry for that since 2 wrongs don't make a right.

As far as the bringing on seizures I'm finding myself perplexed as this idea being far fetched and apparently it's my own ignorance just assuming most E patients had that problem. As far as me being here and discussing E does not bring me to have seizures because I'm not describing my seizures in great detail and talking per se' about my seizures but rather ways to control them. I find most people do not describe their seizures to great length on here or at least not the threads I've read. As far as the neuro and talking to him I've been diagnosed with E for 10+ years and do not have to describe my seizures to my neuro since he already knows and I've already had RTL. He also does not necessarily label each particular seizure since to him any seizure is bad. I used to have violent TC's which I clearly did not bring on and I had years of Simple Partials prior to the TC's and had no clue what they were until I landed in the ER. Now I have nocturnal CPs and YES whatever type you call the seizure of having the ability to bring it on I can do that as well, but I just don't.

You misunderstood me. I dont have "ideas" of what E is. All of what I have said is based on research. What I said was that they are probably psychogenic seizures, but I also said that there are people who have both real seizures and psychogenic. I also said that people with psychogenic seizures are not faking it. It is an actual problem that the person with them doesn't realize they control. That is why those patients get counseling. By me saying that the ones you can bring on yourself is psychogenic it is not meant to be a put down...I didn't want you to think that I was putting you down or saying that you are making it up. Go back and re-read what I wrote. Hopefully it will make more sense to you now.

So since the brain has memory and learns how to do it then one could make themselves have a seizure because your brain knows how to do it?? I am a little confused right now....

Yes, It is called Kindling, and does show in "true organic" seizures.

Of course doctors try to find out why...that is what eegs, mri's and other tests are for. If a doctor was to put you on meds and not do any testing as to why you are having seizures then they can really be putting you in harms way. What if you are having seizures due to a tumor in your brain? If they didn't know why and just put you on meds then that would not help at all...so one of the first things they do is try to find out is why.

As bernard said, Most people are put on meds before any testing is done. I am one of those people. You also responded by saying that you have idiopathic seizures. Meaning they dont know what causes them. does that mean that you being on medication is harmful because they didnt do enough testing? MRI and CT scans just rule out brain damage, and tumours etc that are physical.And if a tumor is found then meds can help that person lead a more normal life, should the toumor be found inoperable. EEGs are for the most part, inconclusive for most people. Even if they show up on an EEG doesnt mean that they know what is causing them.

I tried my hardest but I just cant seem to give myself one. DAMN!!!

I actually found that post quite offensive, because if you knew your trigger you could definitly make yourself have one. I know that sometimes just talking about it, I'll start to myoclonic. Ask Chris515, we talk about it lots in person and then all of a sudden, twitching shows up. Coincidence, not really as I dotn twitch often. If I burned some rubber, I would have a tonic. I guess that means I can have when any time I feel like it. Don't wanna go to work? burn my eraser at my desk, have a tonic and get to lye in a hospital bed and sleep. Not my cup of tea, but I could do it.

Most people with E have ideopathic seizures. I am one of the many that the doctors can't find out why. Sometimes we just have to accept that there is something wrong with us and that it is unexplained. Neurologists and people like ourselves do not know enough about the brain to be able to find a definite cause 100% of the time. It really blows in that respect, but if nobody knows then we have to deal with it the best we can.

Again, you contridict yourself by saying your seizures are idiopathic, so should you not be on meds, incase there really is a hidden cause that the docs havent tried yet? You also say that Neuros and people do not know enough about teh brain. So shouldnt using neurofeedback be a test that could actually help you? nothing is safe when it comes to treating seizures. Even most diets will put a strain on the body until it gets used to it. You say that you have no known cause for your seizures, yet you say that psychogenic seizures are real and they cant be helped. So how are we to know the difference? Everyones seizures are different. So just cuz soemone seizes with their eyes closed or doesnt chew their tounge, does that mean they are faking it? what if meds actually do help this person and seeing a therapist does nothing.

Seizures that are Epileptic would not be triggered by someone's sarcasm. It does sound quite odd for someone to think so hard on a seizure that it almost happens is causes one. Epilepsy and seizures connected to it have a tendency to happen due to abnormal electrical discharge of neurons either in one part (partial) of the brain or all over (generalized).

I beg to differ. Stress and panic and high emotion are triggers for some people. So if thinking about a seizures stresses you out, or panics you, then yes, that can trigger a seizure. Sarcasm can frustrate alot of people.

In rare cases there are people that can provoke their own seizure but its usually kids, or people with very rare
reflexive seizures. Those are a little different than unprovked epileptic seizures that are spontanious.

As far as this site is concerned, I think that reflex seizures are a little bit more common than widely believed. I also dont think anybody would willingly (aside from rita marcola) bring on a seizure, let alone a kid who is probably terrified on those episodes. How are they "a little" different than an unprovoked seizure? technically all seizures are provoked by a trigger, whether willing or not.

We could all agree to disagree, but then we'd neer get to see another side of the debate aside from our own. I actually like that Rach has a differnt view. I can see her reasoning and compare it to my own.

True organic seizures are not cause by thinking about them. This is classic of psychogenic seizures. People with psychogenic seizures are not faking them. They really do think that they are real. Also, it is possible to have both real seizures and psychogenic ones. If someone has a psychogenic seizure it doesn't automatically mean that the person is crazy or needs to be admitted to a psych ward. All they need is some counseling.

Can you please define "true organic seizures?" because if someone has idiopathic seizures, then they dont know for sure if they are truly organic beacuse they havent found a cause. and does this mean that everyone who has found a cause does not have true organic seizures?

Some people with psychogenic seizures don't even need that. Some quit having them after they find out that they are not organic. I wish mine were that way so all it would take is some counseling.

I think that this Placebo effect may work for some, but not all. So if some people with psychogenic seizures dont respond to counseling, does that mean that they now have idiopathic seizures? even though by your definition, they can't have a seizure by thinking about one, even though they do?

Anyways, I have a question for you though...If talking about seizures causes you to have one then why are you on a support group website talking about them? Wouldn't that cause you to have more?

I come to a support site, because the people on here know and understand what I am going through. Not exactly but they can offer more first hand experiance with drugs and embarrasing situations. I can also step away from my computer and breathe for a bit, or go off and do something else if I get worked up. Occasionally I do have a seizure while on the site. You may havenoticed. Meetz usually tells me to go to bed.

Also, when you go to a neurologist, the main this you talk about is your E. So why would you go? I think that if talking about them made me have one then I wouldn't be here and wouldnt be going to a neuro. I just wouldn't talk about it. Kinda curious there.
I go because I would rather endure a million more seizures from talking about my E with my neuro in hopes that I can find a cure or find the cause and fix it. It means that much to me.

Also, suggesting that my mood can make you have one sounds a little silly. I would appreciate an explanation of that because I don't see how this is possible. Always seeking new info. :)

Again, some people have stress as a trigger. This means good stress *excitement* bad stress *grief* or phsyical stress *working out* Stress is an emotion. Stress is a response to your mood. SO therefore your mood can cause more seizures. Have you never had a super grumpy week and then had a seizure? Or having a really good time only for it to be ruined by a seizure. I know I have.

Yes the brain has memory...no argument there. BUT during a seizure I have no recollection of what happened. If my brain had a memory of how to have a seizure then I would have a memory of the seizure.

A seizure originates in one part of the brain, you will have memory of it. such as a simple partial or a complex partial. A generalized seizure also takes over the area responsible for memory and for conciuosness, so You dont remember it. You know that you go to bed each night to sleep, but do you actually remember what goes on around you when you are asleep?

I think that neurofeedback has more of the "placebo effect" on seizures. If it was PROVEN effective for epilepsy, then there would be much more literature on it. There aren't too many scholarly journals that suggest that it is effective. In order for it to be proven effective there needs to be more research on it.

In order for more research and literature to be done, that means more people need to be willing to try it. You cant research what no body will try.

That article is about ADHD. A totally different condition. Neurofeedback has also been shown to work in people with mood disorders...I never said that neurofeedback is not effective at all for anything. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I think that RebeccaN is proof that neurofeedback works for E. But liek any seizure control method, it wont work for everyone. Just like Neurofeedback will not work for every person with ADD or mood disorders.

That took me a while to respond, but I waited so long I kept having other things to do while at work. lol

Last edited:
Rach, have you ever had an aura? An aura is a seizure and in many cases E patients REMEMBER their auras. I know I don't remember the per se' seizure that sometimes follows the auras but I can remember the aura prior to a seizure and I never remembered the TC or even sometimes hours after the TC. Once in a blue moon I'll even remember the nocturnal seizures but most times my husband will let me know in the morning. The brain having memory is not referred to YOU remembering your seizures but rather your BRAIN (neurons) remembering how to seize, hence Kindling.

hmmm, you sarcastic comment to me you say you and your friends thought it was funny but yet you claim my response was silly? Not nice Rach : )

Yes I have had an aura...but in general the majority of my seizures are tonic clonic and I have no memory of them. That is why I said what I said. But yes I have and you are right that in an aura you remember your seizures...But I am not convinced of the kindling idea. I will do aome more research on it later today and come back.

Back
Top Bottom