Neurofeedback: Bad Experience

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Skipio

Dear Ruth,

Thankyou for replying.

None of us have epilepsy. We all had other problems. One daughter had rumination, which left her self harming and another very serious compulsive disorders.

I am not American and our neurotherapy was done by the top person in the country, in fact the head of the national neuropathy association. I read intensely for several years before I proceeded. We had some several years before but with my eldests daughters ADD it was difficult to get her to focus. The Lens seemed the answer. I spoke to many people as well. It solved the compulsive disorders although this child also stopped drawing well. She had a prodigious creativity, having qualified for all the major elite post school exhibitions in the country, which put her in the top.003%. She has now dropped out of university and we have just pursuaded her to complete a little diploma in graphic design, mostly using photoshop.

Like I said, if your illness is life threatening or you cannot manage your condition, then go for it. But it definitely changes your brain. I would give anything not to have had it. All the joy has gone.

skipio, what health problem do you have that you had brain surgery? What country do you live in. There are others who are from many different countries. One is now a doctor and he lives in India. I know someone who is from Scotland, England and other countries. They are all here in this forum.

It sounds like you are depressed!! I read my Bible and other literature. When I get depressed and lose my joy, I read even more and I pray. That is a great source of encouragement to me.

Have you gone to the Foyer Room and introduced yourself? You should and you will make many more friends. This forum is really great!! Stay here, you will love it here.

Negative Effects and the Need for Standards of Practice in Neurofeedback

"Neurofeedback is a very valuable therapeutic modality, but it
has the potential to occasionally result in side effects. When
improperly done, it can sometimes result in more significant
adverse reactions and an exacerbation of symptoms."

http://www.resourcenter.net/images/AAPB/Files/Biofeedback/2007/biof_negative_effects.pdf

P.S my Son is in Neurofeedback ;) for over a year now, he sure is not losing/lost his passions/talents..

Hi Chaz1,
I am sure glad that your Son is doing fine in NFD. I was going to start Neurofeedback when it was first mentioned on CWE several years back. Two places were close by. I noticed that each one had different credentials. Since I did not know which credentials were correct, I decided against it.

Time after time I have heard nothing but positive results in CWE. I feel like I have missed out on something that would have been good for me.

Do you know what the proper credentials are?

hello Ruth :)

they need to be fully licensed (sufficent training hours and the diploma to prove it) if to gain my trust and we visited several places (all licensed) and chose a location that my Son was comfortable going to, because it’s a long journey training the brain...

he is now busy with this training since Nov 2011 and we seeing brain changes, for the positive, not all about seizure control, also overall wellbeing and we have much bi polar in out clan…..so we nipping as much in the bud as possible….used to be, walking down the street with my Son u could feel and see him scanning everything (stressful) now he can walk down the street and simply put smell the roses, i.e. not take in everything leading to overload…and we not done yet ;)

Maybe you can start research here....

http://biofeedbackcalifornia.org/

seriously, astronauts are trained using this technique, to stop them seizing on departure due to the fuel explosion they are engulfed in…

I know you wrote this several years ago . What happened to you, happened to me. I'm glad I found someone with the same experience. I'm angry about what biofeedback did to me.Has there been any improvement? How can I contact you? Im suffering !

I am hopeful about bio and neurofeedback but could someone tell me about how to get more info (example, how to afford it and how to search info without advertisements? I thought we left behind the days of leaving the poor at the curb without medical aid.

Back
Top Bottom