Anyone 25+ still live at home and struggle with dating?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hornets92

New
Reaction score
I’ve had epilepsy since I was about 14 and really never got to go on dates or anything like that (I didn’t go to college either) my epilepsy was horrible when I was 14-21. It’s calmed down some, not alot for me to feel confertable enough to live on my own though. (I can have thirty a week). Also wondering can stress cause seizures for some people?

Ask yourself would you still have 30with or without mum and dad.You lose nothing in trying.The majority of us go to work marry have kids even with servere Ep...Your life is withering go out there grab it by balls whatsworse that can happen you go back to parents.You got epilepsy not leprosy.Stress most definatly makes things worse and that goes from common cold to leprosy and all points down or up depending how you feel.
As for dating well as a mother I would probably kept son in cot for 40years but that the mothering bit but mother bit had to let go and with smile glad I did he doctor and dad now.You need surpport and parents not always the best too subjective.No reason why you can not go colleage and I guess on disability register certain rules apply and helping get further education and job is one.The dating bit is down to you,If gay then plenty places if not the world your oyster and a pearl might be waiting.You may get rebuffs but ha that’s life try again and again remember lot of us out there just not intrested in dating admittedly we find out to late.
Find disability group or counciler get some balls and go for it..
You got say it as it is..Many people on this site who feel same myself included and leaving home best thing we did even with cock ups and we all had them hence for helpful sites.There will be those who answer your question with bit more refined than me there word for me but it banned but it do call spade a spade.
Fact you asked this question is very good sign as this time next year you give good advice to others.Just one point when you meet boy or girl or both don’t tell them in first breath you have 30a day they think you only intrested in yourself wait a few dates see how land lyes if she shows contempt for problem then she not up to muster with or with out E

What type of E do you have..??

Are you controlled at all with meds/diet/etc...??

Do you live in a bigger city/area where you could perhaps find another with a issue or disability...? Than you would be two peas in a pod. Any issue either of you have, you would deal & put up with together. Nothing would be odd at all.
(just a thought)

My triggers are stress/sleep/not eating every 8-12hrs.

Aside those, i am good. But its easy for stress to come out of no where. Just being frustrated with E issues, work stress, back pain, the list goes on forever.

If your in a bigger area id begin online and see where it takes you.

What type of E do you have..??

Are you controlled at all with meds/diet/etc...??

Do you live in a bigger city/area where you could perhaps find another with a issue or disability...? Than you would be two peas in a pod. Any issue either of you have, you would deal & put up with together. Nothing would be odd at all.
(just a thought)

My triggers are stress/sleep/not eating every 8-12hrs.

Aside those, i am good. But its easy for stress to come out of no where. Just being frustrated with E issues, work stress, back pain, the list goes on forever.

If your in a bigger area id begin online and see where it takes you.
. No one has ever been able to figure out what my triggers are. I was born with a slight hole in my brain so the Doc says that’s probably it. No I live in a smalll city where it’s hard to get to the bigger part of town. Another reason I didn’t go to college is I had to stay and help my mom out she has some kind of disease that makes it where she can barely walk and hold stuff (now it’s worse)

id still do online first.

Its quick, easy and you do not need to leave your own home. Also try sites like this if they have a friend section....or something of that kind.

If you have disability and are able to get rides that will help you be more mobile.

You have not said too much, spill your guts about any & all info and we will all give advice.

Online dating is a disaster, and yes, you still need to leave your house :) I speak from experience. Been there, done that. I'm not unique in this world.

Bars, clubs, don't go there. I say, just be yourself and do the things you enjoy. Of course, therein probably lies the rub. You need a hobby to get yourself out there and expose yourself to people and then interact with them. You could take up photography, writing in a blog, making music. Some people find comfort in belonging to church groups and doing volunteer work. Maybe church isn't your thing because you're not religious. That's fine. Find something you can do take interest in and go with it. Maybe you'll take passion in it and really enjoy it. Maybe you'll hate it! But you'll learn. And you'll meet people along the way and learn from them to. Don't think you have to interact in real life either. There's tons of online forums for all sorts of hobbies. In real life, though, you have meet up groups, hobby stores, classes of all types at all education levels (amateur hobbyist to university), and so on.

With that advice, I say go from there.

But for me, dating is not the way. I met my first girlfriend without dating. Dating was a disaster, and many men agree with me. I choose to stay single.

Online dating is a disaster, and yes, you still need to leave your house :) I speak from experience. Been there, done that. I'm not unique in this world.

Bars, clubs, don't go there. I say, just be yourself and do the things you enjoy. Of course, therein probably lies the rub. You need a hobby to get yourself out there and expose yourself to people and then interact with them. You could take up photography, writing in a blog, making music. Some people find comfort in belonging to church groups and doing volunteer work. Maybe church isn't your thing because you're not religious. That's fine. Find something you can do take interest in and go with it. Maybe you'll take passion in it and really enjoy it. Maybe you'll hate it! But you'll learn. And you'll meet people along the way and learn from them to. Don't think you have to interact in real life either. There's tons of online forums for all sorts of hobbies. In real life, though, you have meet up groups, hobby stores, classes of all types at all education levels (amateur hobbyist to university), and so on.

With that advice, I say go from there.

But for me, dating is not the way. I met my first girlfriend without dating. Dating was a disaster, and many men agree with me. I choose to stay single.

After reading this.....I think the advice is much better than mine.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2003 when I was 27. I had been living on my own and able to drive but after that I had to move back home and I couldn't drive any more.

I'm not sure if you're a woman or a man but if you're a woman bars and clubs aren't good for finding someone to date. If you start talking to a man there then they usually think "I'm going to get lucky tonight!!!!"

If there are any clubs, like a book reading one, or groups with a hobby that you have try joining them. Even if you don't think you'd like, join it anyway, you might find out you do like it like resaebiunne said. If you don't like it, or the people there, you can always stop going and try going something else.

When I moved back home I was having a ton of seizures but my parents would always take me out to community events that were going on - fairs, fundraising dinners and events, flea markets and things like that. I think they did it mainly so I'd be around people and get to talk to them because I've always been a very personable. They'd even took me to a few concerts for bands that I really liked, that's actually how I met my husband.

Volunteering at things is a good idea too. You'll get to meet different people and not the same ones all the time. My dad was in the local fire dept and they had a monthly breakfast, I'd help work at it too. You don't know how many people I'd meet. A good bit of the same people volunteered and came it on a regular basis too so I got to be around people that I could get to know, not just different people all the time.

Get out there and do things. Stress is a big trigger. You can go with a family member or friend if you have trouble being on your own and it stresses you out. Just make sure you talk to people and don't hide behind the person you're with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom