Anyone on Topamax w/keppra?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there,

Well, I almost made it to 6 months without any seizures and then on Sunday BAM! 5 TC's. I ended up being hospitalized for a few nights. They ran a CT, CAT, and EEG while I was there. they all came back normal. My potassium was out of wack though pretty low. they had me on a drip while i was there. Anyway starting topamax tonight to see how that goes anyone elese out there taking it with keppra?

Wow. 5 TC's and the tests came back normal?! I hope your potassium is back to normal.

I take 3000 mgs. Keppra and 200 mgs. Topamax daily. Once was taking more Topamax, but was too doped up and couldn't function.

What was it like when you first started taking the Topamax? Did you get teh tingly fingers and the drunk/tired feeling that I keep seeing people mention?

Once in a while I experience the tingling sensation, and yes I do tire easily. The drunken sensation eventually subsides, hopefully, depending on the dosage you are on.

Me!

I am on 1500 mg xr of keppra daily and just added topamax three weeks ago. They are working me up slowly and I have not had a seizure for several days. I do notice the pins and needles in my feet but movement is helpful. My taste instantly changed! Always thirsty but can't stand the idea of anything with carbonation. Fruit and salads! I have felt more emotional but I think it is related to the fact that it is the third time in 3 years no drive. Now.... I realize this is not going away. I have to learn to live with it. I guess as I get older... it is getting worse? Good luck to you!! :e:

Not on Keppra, but I am on Topamax. The tingling is in my hands and feet and I'm still waiting for that to go away. It started to but I just increased dosage and now its back so I'm hoping it will go away again. I am always thirsty but the only carbonated beverages I can drink are the light colored ones, sprite, mnt dew, orange... can't stand pepsi, cokes, or anything else dark. I generally don't drink soda anymore though and just stick to water. More emotional? Yes, we'll just leave it at that for now...

I am on 1500 mg of Keppra (generic) as well, and was just on Topamax with it, but am now off the Topamax (also generic), getting ready to start Lamictil today in fact. I had been on 100 mg of Topamax daily, but it was discontinued due to side effects of facial twitching (eyelids, lip, chin). It did not cause any emotional side effects, but I did lose weight on it too, which I didn't have an issue with as while I'm not grossly overweight, I was up to having a good 10 lbs chopped off me! I did have the tingling feeling around my lips, but it was nothing terrible. I did not feel doped up or confused on it at all, at least not on the dose I was anyway. My sole problem was the awful facial twitches, and certainly not everyone gets that as it's not even listed as a side effect.

I'm on both, 1000mg keppra righ now going to go up on keppra 750 mg 2x daily after mri on the 26th of june 2012, and take 150mg of topamax daily, had the tingling feeling for the first few weeks then it went away , now they think I'm having symptoms of another neurological issue going on, was just recently dx with seizure disorder and mild PNES, and my new neuroshrink, wants to take me off topamax, and prob switch it with something else wince I had a TBI with a bicycle accident 17 years ago. any questons, feel free to ask!
mike

That tingling gets worse.

I was on Topomax for several years and the tingling progressed to numbness and complete loss of sensation in the last three digits on both hands as well as partial numbness in my index fingers. It all came back after I got off of Topomax and started taking Keppra. I did have to add Zonegran with the Keppra to stop my auras but I'm back to full function as a paramedic now. It's really hard to stick iv's when you can't feel your own fingers!

I'm on topamax and find that eating a banana and drinking Gatorade does wonders for the pins and needles. I have been on the drug 2 months now and hardly ever get pins and needles now but was bad when I first started.

Back
Top Bottom