Good news..I think??!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Well, I think I have good news to report. I was not sure what was going to happen with the Lamictal and Insurance charging an arm and a leg for Brand medicine. Well, my Dr. did not want me on generic. He was willing to help and do whatever was necessary for me. After many questions and going back and forth with insurance,my husband received a call back from his companies' benefits service center and they checked into it. Basically, the Dr. only needs to write "BRAND MEDICINE MEDICALLY NECESSARY." Which he did on the RX. Duh???! That is what the original script said. I don't know why someone could not have told us this was how simple it was. Seems like a no Brainer!! Apparently Lamictal is tricky to actually get in Brand! Instead of my $20.00 copay it'll be $35.00. Much better than $100.00!!! I need to fill the new RX, so I will believe it when I see it. I almost expect to go there and have them say.."Sorry..it is $150.00!"
Hopefully, it'll work out great though.

Michelle

Wow, this

is GREAT news to hear, Michelle! YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

You should have asked that insurance agent to send you a statement in writing, just in case...

Wonderful! One major problem solved!

As I've said before - my neuro had to fight but it finally worked. She knew we could not afford to keep paying the enormous monthly price for Trileptal and would have to go with the CHEAP stuff.

I hope things work out for you Lamictal is one oof the more spendy medacations I paid full price a few time because i had no insurance... If i remember right it was around 200.00

tegretol has a genaric which is what i was taking i started having really bad chest pains tho .... and thats when i quit everything pluse i stopped going to the neuro no money left .... I owed him almost 1,000 $

I still don't understand it

My Phenytek comes in 200 + 300 mg capsules. Since I alternate between 500 + 600 mg per day to stay at my theraputic level, I have scripts for both of them.

The 200 mg is covered as a formulary (insurance talk) medication with my normal deductible. The 300 mg is not formulary and my deductible is twice as high. Same drug - different dosage. WHY???

Insurance is a crazy thing. My little nephew is literally off the charts with every food allergy known to man. Basically if he ingests certain things it would kill him within minutes. At one point insurance said they would not pay for a 2nd epi pen..(one for home and school.) Are you kidding me???? They would rather risk a kid's life that has almost died several times from food allergies. Now they come in dual packs because alot of time a 2nd injection is needed of epinephrine. It is CRAZY!!!! And drives me crazy!!!

Michelle : )

That is an excellent site David. I have been on it, and my sister is on it alot!!! It's very helpful!! Thank you!! You have food allergies too, don't you?

M

Lamictal update!

I wanted to let everyone..after many phone calls..it finally worked out. Don't know why insurance could not have told me..but the Dr. needed to state brand name only..medically necessary. Insurance kept telling us it would not be covered! Which is what he wrote in the first place. ?? So anyways..it ended up being the $35.00 copay..which is more than the $20.00 copay I normally have, but that was fine. So I guess something important to keep in mind.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom