Hobby ideas needed...refractory seizures. Thanks!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm still around.

A brief review of my hx: I have refractory complex- and simple-partial seizures. I no longer work because my seizures are so frequent.

I'm trying to find something enjoyable to do during the day. There are so many things that are not an option due to my limitations.

Can anyone make some suggestions for possible hobbies? I'm hoping to come up with something to do that is fun and will give me a sense of purpose again. Thanks! :)

Hmmm....Gardening? Knitting? Jewelry-making? Learning how to play the ukelele? Learning how to speak a foreign language? Don't know if any of these are up your alley...

Due to med. side-effects, the only one of those I could do is jewlery-making, and that sounds fun (I may "google" it to see what's involved). Well, I could also do indoor gardening, but I have a black thumb...I hate bring home plants just to kill them. lol.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

I also have a black thumb, and no outdoor space to garden in. But that doesn't stop me from trying to keep a variety of indoor houseplants alive. Aloe plants are really hardy, and I've found that purple shamrock grows quite easily too. True, many of my plants have committed "assisted suicide" under my care, but they still make me happy for the brief time we have together...

Can you read or listen to books on tape? Do you like to collect anything?

I actually enjoy reading when I have time. As far as collecting things, I do collect candles/accessories...something about pretty smells makes me happy.

And I enjoy music...although, oddly enough, I've found that songs that make me sentimental or get my adrenaline pumping often cause seizures.

I think I'll pass on the gardening. I've killed too many innocent little house plants already. ;) And just last month, I killed my little boy's pet tadpole. Obviously, not intentionally...but plants and small creatures come here to die. :agree:

Have a good seizure-free evening!

I just bought some old stamps on Ebay. They were never used and came in blocks of four. This is a new hobby for me and not expensive, of course I still need to find out what the "real" collectors do to save stamps.
I did buy small see-through envelopes to look at them. It is surprising how many people have looked at them and were really excited about them. My two favorite are a stamp on the polio vaccine and another of the woman who started the Red Poppy tradition for Memorial day.

I volunteer in the schools. I love kids. But lol , I'm finding out that my brain is even wierder than a teens brain. So this year I think I'm going to volunteer at the epilepsy camp for kids. Maybe I won't suck at it so bad. he he

woo i love hobbies...

my fave atm is postcards and i just joined post crossing a website thats a global postcard community, you send and receive postcards from around the world, it's pretty fun. But me and my friends love getting up to all sorts here is a lil list of things were into, maybe you'll find something you like :D

*blogging, scrapbooking, crossword puzzles, dancing, photography, guitar, hula hooping, keeping a journal, magic(circus skills), acting, jewelry making, garage saleing, jigsaw puzzles, juggling, button collecting, origami. Any kind of art, we have crafternoons or sunday funday once every couple months where we do something creative :)

Good luck hope you find something fab

i just came to add origami,
and kirigami if you want to risk it

I do jewelry making and sewing. I also do painting and writing and alot of DIY projects that I get ideas from on Pinterest! (My new addiction)

I made a whole bunch of cool cupboard handles out of resin and glittery rocks. They are adorable. They will go up in the cottage when they get the cupboards up.

I sew to, and read design websites.
knit when i can remember how or mind reteaching myself

photography is great ... i can do it on good and bad days ... indoor or just in garden if i dont wanna go far and if your forgetful like me its great of keeping track of days out n stuff :) plus dont need fancy camera n if you got digital if you wanna forget a bad day can just wipe all the photos

or keep a few of the bad ones and try to laugh about them later

I was going to say check out pinterest.com also. I found it helped me easily put all my dreams in one place and gave me something to look at when I get a little down. No glueing or cutting. No storage issues or mess to clean up. Great ideas on there as well for crafts, cooking, diy projects and gifts, etc.

I also do a lot of pictures. It is the only way I remember what I've done. Or look at my bank account to see where I've been (LOL)

Back
Top Bottom