I'm just tired.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
I still can't walk, it's been 2 years since the surgery and I still can't walk. I don't show it, but I'm tired of constantly seeing my father with no escape. As in he can walk in whenever and I see him everyday for hours. Too much time with anybody is overwhelming.

Is there any kind of local service that can arrange for "field trips" just to get you some time away from the house (and your father). Is your father open to discussing ways to give each other a break?

I'm actually looking into something called "Sun Van", its exactly as you said. And he's not the easiest to discuss anything that may put him in the negative light. I realize it's mainly based around how I express my feelings. But for some reason we have never been able to communicate clearly to each other. Mainly just miscommunication.

Yeah family communication can be tricky. It sounds like you'll need to make clear that your need for occasional privacy/distance/alone time is not a critique of his company, just a part of who you are. Everyone has different thresholds for companionship. I love my sister-in-law -- she's a very "up" person, very warm & generous -- but she can talk forever, and when stays with me I can only take a few days before I'm exhausted...

I agree it can be tricky. I've tried and failed, what may currently be working but moving slower than molasses is I'm separating myself from him whenever possible, such as not hanging around him whenever possible. And besides me saying it, he seems to slowly realize that our conversations don't go far (since I don't allow them to) and he can find someone else to download all his thoughts onto, a simple phone call away.
My sister has a similar issue with her soon to be mother-in-law. It's similar to me and yours. Mainly too much time together. Like with my father, I get exhausted, she gets exhausted, you get exhausted, similar yet different reasons.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe he feels same but from different perspective is it possible he feels awful you in this position and do not want you go in spiral of depression.A parent often fuss because they love you..Sometimes they feel got slap smile their face try be upbeat they think that what you want and need.He may got so used to doing it that he in auto drive at cruise speed
Communication skills are needed,is it at all possible find someone on fb or a community iproject local area it surprising what goes on under nose then you find amazing things are going on but afraid you have to look for them..Is it possible get your dad help you find something like this that could send him a message doing this plus he may think he doing something productive give you both a rest.He isa man of that generation how a lot of people thought that what you should do.Things and people change

Back
Top Bottom